Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack Pro-83 Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Pro-83 Scanner
Radio Shack  Pro-83 Scanner Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: Compact, lightweight, and loaded with the frequencies you need!
This scanner is smaller than conventional handhelds to fit nicely in your palm and has an orange backlit display for easy use at night. Store up to 200 of your favorite frequencies into memory. Features the Signal Stalker–instantly "lock on" to frequencies being broadcast in your area—no programming necessary
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=20-501

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Pro-83 Scanner.

KF6GOM Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2004 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Handheld Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is the same scanner as a Bearcat BC92XLT.
picked this one up at Radio Shack Sale (ThanksGiving)for $63.00 good bargin.the radio receive is excellent with 200 memories its plenty if you need a Non Trucking Scanner.Air Craft and Ham Bands are Fantastic.in 450Mhz to 850Mhx no intermod or Birdies.The Back Lite is great for Dark Rooms (nice orange).
Overall a good Job by Uniden In ther new Bread of Portable scanners.Its also preLoaded with 150 Most popular Frequencys ready to go but you can delete them if you like and at 2AA batteries usage maintance will be cheap to use (14 Hours)

KC5MEW Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2004 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Good non-trunking scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one on the day after Thanksgiving for $59.99, no complaints on the price at all! Regular price is $119.99.
The scanner feels solid in your hand, the smaller size is nice. Having only 200 channels and no Trunking is fine with me, in my area it is more than sufficient for my needs. I know that some folks in the urban areas will want the Trunking feature.
The orange backlight works great, very easy to program in the dark.
Programming requires more use of the "Func" key than I prefer, but is simple enough.
The "Signal Stalker" feature works OK. In the few days that I have used it, it has found frequencies for a couple of police agencies as I was driving through. I noticed that I was really close to the towers in each case. Don't expect miracles from this feature.
My only complaint thus far with the scanner is the short, dinky little antenna that comes with it. I highly recommend a better antenna. Reception is greatly improved.
All in all, a pretty good scanner, especially if you can find one on sale.