Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB4030 - 40m & 30m high performance duobander Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB4030 - 40m & 30m high performance duobander
OptiBeam OB4030 - 40m & 30m high performance duobander Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2,300
Description: Extremely efficient trapless Yagi for 40 and 30m.
2el on 40 / 2el on 30.
A specialty in particular for CW fans !!!
Lossfree shortened elements by software designed high Q air coils.
40m elements decoupled from other bands by the "OptiBeam decoupling stub technique".
Broadband single 50 Ohm coax cable feed system by the "OptiBeam direct coupled driver feed system"
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB4030 - 40m & 30m high performance duobander.

OE3GCU Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having more space after moving my QTH was the trigger to look for a new antenna system. I had a closer look to the products at the fair in Friedrichshafen (Germany) 2005 and was enthused of the design and strong mechanics of OptiBeam antennas. After some email exchange I decided to buy the OB4030 and the OB16-5 (see other review). I have mounted the OB4030 3m above the OB16-5. All parts are very well packed and easy to assemble. After having some troubles which have been professionally solved by Optibeam the antenna is a great performer. I could not detect any interfering of the two antennas. I haven’t had a beam on those bands before but breaking the pileup is no problem anymore... It has to be mentioned that especially the support from Tom (the owner) is very good!

ON4IZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2006 10:40 Send this review to a friend
A discovery !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My problem was to have antennas from 2meters down to 40 meters on one self supporting tower,preferably rotated by one big Prosistel rotor.I had a good experience with the Cushcraft 40m beam but on 30 I had to do it with a vertical until DF2BO showed me in Friedrichshafen the fantastic engineering of the OB40-30. The coils alone caused my heartbeat to reach dangerous levels (hi).My scare was that the 40m part would interfere with the OB16-5 (five bander) 4 meters lower but I could not trace any adverse interaction.Working DX on 30 has become almost too easy. On 40 I cannot compare scientifically with the Cushcraft as it has been taken down but with 50 years (alas!) of experience as a ham I feel the OB4030 is more efficient and definitely much stronger.
Customer support was very quick and adequate when I had some queries re the assembly manual.
The boom to mast plate is marvelous !

PA3DUV Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 09:24 Send this review to a friend
THE SLEDGE HAMMER!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

In order to improve the performance of my multiband Winlink2000 system I was on the lookout for a 40 and 30 meter beam antenna system. My reference was a multiband 10 meter long boom log periodic which needed regular maintenance and my inverted Vee dipole.

After reading the reviews and asking Tom from Optibeam all sorts of questions I bit the bullet and ordered the OB4030. The OB4030 is a slightly shortened 2 element yagi for 30 and 40 meters on one boom (total 4 elements). Since multi transmitter use was necessary Tom changed the design so I could feed the drivers with their own dedicated coax feeders.

The OB4030 is optimized for maximum forward gain with a driver-reflector distance of approx. 1/8 wavelength. Checks with ZL2BSJ on the long path showed a F/B ratio of approx. 15 dB which matched the specifications.

From a mechanical engineering point of view the OB4030 is hard to beat. The design is full of smart engineered solutions for all kinds of antenna issues like element interconnection (simple but very clever, no hose clamps or plate screws!!) boom to element fixation and alignment, feeding techniques and element trussing. Also the design and execution of the huge air wound loading coils is first class and should last a lifetime. The boom, a huge aluminium extruded rectangular cross-section (80 x 80 mm) profile is so stiff that this monster boom does not need trussing.

The 2:1 baluns provided with the OB4030 are first class 6 kW units from Jay Terleski, Array Solutions.

The OB4030 is put in the same tower as my OB11-5. In the final execution of the production of my OB4030 Tom took all these conditions into account and adjusted the final dimensions of driver and reflector in order to get the beam properly tuned. After assembling the beam according to these dimensions no further adjustment was needed.

The OB4030 is performing VERY well to say the least. I gave the antenna a proper work out and the reports are astonishing. I can confirm that all factory specifications, including power handling are met.
With this first class, well designed and well engineered product you can't go wrong.

Cheers, Dick
PA3DUV

PS: very much preferred is Toms scientific approach of antenna design and the resulting REAL WORLD gain values, contrary to the exaggerated gain claims of other HF antenna manufacturers.

HB9BGV Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2005 08:20 Send this review to a friend
a hammer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For more than 20 years I worked with 3 element monobanders on 40 m. With my upcoming interest in 30 m and a storm destroying the 40 m yagi, I was looking around for a new antenna and choosed the OB4030.
I learned from my OB4-2WARC (2 el. on 17m and 2 el. on 12m) that 2 elements are much better than a dipole and 3 elements are only a little better than 2 elements. Also the data-sheets show a difference of only 1 .. 1.5 dB between 2 and 3 elements. This was reason enough to by the OB4030 instead of a new 3 element yagi for 40m.
On the air experience is just great! On 40m, I feel no difference to the former antenna with 3 elements. But on 30m it is a real big difference to the pyramid antenna I used before and which is still hanging around for comparison. Working C21XF and K7C (Kure Isl.) was a matter of a couples of minutes and the reports with the pyramid (which is better than a dipole) were between "nil hr" and "I feel he's there".
The solid and compact construction is another plus for this performer.

N4ZZK Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2005 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Well made & works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Very solid construction, single 50 ohm feed for both bands.

Mine is installed at about 45 feet up, should be at about 60 feet but works pretty well on 40 and very well on 30.

Previous antenna for 40/30 was a trapped dipole. Big difference!

Pix at:

The assembly manual is for several different antennas and could be better with more pix for the 4030.

LA5HE Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2005 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Very effective shortened beam for 30/40 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to have a Force 12 Magnum 20-30-40 at my OZ8RO QTH. I was never really happy with it, as the matching and tuning on 30 and 40 was complicated and took a long time. It never really worked properly.With the advent of low sunspot numbers I became interested in 30 and 40 again. At Hamradio in Friederichshafen I spoke to Thomas DF2BO of Optibeam 2 years ago suggesting he made a yagi for those 2 bands. He believed CW was dead and nobody would be interested. Fortunately, he decided to exhibit in Dayton the year after and the response he received there convinced him that a 30/40 m beam would be a viable product. An email told me that the design was completed and production would commence in May this year.Needles to say, I placed an order and it arrived here in June. The packing was excellent. All parts were properly marked so there never was any confusion about where they were going. A complete parts list was not included , but it turned out that all I needed was there. The element to boom platforms and the impressive loading coils were assembled from the factory. With the screws/nuts came also tools for the assembly. A blessing for anybody outside USA is that everything is in metric values !Room for improvement, as I see it, would be additonal photos showing details of the assembly process. I was slightly confused ( senior moment ? ) about how to interpret the setting for CW/Europe on 40 meters, but a quick email exchange with DF2BO sorted that out very fast.The antenna comes with balun ( WX0B type )First QSO 5X1B on first call !

JF1UVJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2005 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OptiBeam OB4030 is high performance duobander for 40 and 30m.
Tokyo where I live is not a too good for do amateur radio overcrowded of the house,environment.
Moreover, because the site is narrow, it is difficult to raise a big antenna.
However, OB4030 is compact for the performance, and recommended in in two bands (40m and 30m).
I had used the dipole antenna up to now. However, the signal in Japan came for the signal of 15db weakening and DX to come to the surface and to come to hear when exchanging it for this OB4030.
The signal of the Caribbean that cannot be done easily with Japan is also good, and I hear, and the gotten report is good.
Moreover, I came to hear Caribbean, Europe, and North America in the long pass well.
I recommend you to be handled once.

DF3VM Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2004 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Big Gun !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The OB4030 is a high performance duobander for 30 and 40m consisting of 2 interlaced 2el monobanders. Due to to the high Q air coils the elememts are shortened without using lossy traps. The antenna comes with a high power Balun (WX0B) and the antenna is fed with a single coax line.
It's my third Optibeam now (OB9-5, OB7-2WARC) and I can only repeat what I mentioned in my OB9-5 review.
The mechanical design is second to none! This antenna is build for eternity. Everything is marked and assembling it's mere child's play! I never saw a better mechanical design b4. All metal parts are aluminium or stainless steel.
And whats about the performance?
I can tell you, this is a real big gun on 30 and 40m. I used this antenna during my LX-activity only on a portable mast about 11m up and the signal reports from DX were outstanding. The antenna has a great F/B and F/S ratio, so it was easy to hide out the EU-Stations. And the SWR is equal or better as the manufacturers data, that means no tuning, and always better than 1:1.5, incredibly. I could compare the performance with a quarterwave vertical (no multiband!) and the results were stunning. In some cases the beam was up to 5S-units louder than the vertical. ´
Summing up I can highly recommend this great piece of craftmanship. This antenna is sure not the cheapest, but worth every penny and you will own it for decades.
The next step is to stack it at home with my OB9-5.

Many thanks to the manufacturer Tom, DF2BO, and his wife Diana for his great support and all the detailed informations!

check www.df3vm.de