Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone
Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: There are currently four models in the PR seriesÖ the PR20, PR30, PR780 and the PR40. All are dynamic microphones. The PR20 is essentially a Gold Line Pro with a new look. A review of the PR30 is at . The PR780, has been specifically designed for use with the ICOM 7800/756 Pro lll transceivers. The PR40 is similar in appearance to the PR30 and represents the top of the line.

You can write your own review of the Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone.

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2016 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be better.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my PR40 on Yaesu 991, 3000 and 5000 rigs and without question have received nothing put praise from all contacts, although I have a selection of Heil mics, I generally run the PR40, I am absolutely delighted with it
W0LD Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2015 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Heil PR-40 is the Mercedes of Microphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
The PR-40 is absolutely superb. I use one for the Ham shack and as a broadcast/audio production microphone. In all applications it is professional. We have used these microphones in all types of international locations for broadcast production and they perform flawlessly! My K3 gets absolutely superb audio on-air reports. If you want to sound excellent, have punch and stand above other signals, the PR-40 is the one for you!
W2YM Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2015 14:26 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the PR40 on the IC-7600 and the IC-7800 that I sold and they sound GREAT. unreal mic. Great audio and reports. Can't beat a great mic like this. Mark W2YM 73's.
KE5GGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2015 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Value for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I work in broadcasting in the Dallas, TX market. I use the PR-40 in my studio and in my ham shack. It's a GREAT performer in both venues.

Compared to the more expensive Electro-Voice RE-20, the PR-40 has a better sound 'out of the box' and doesn't have the muddy sound that many report with the RE-20.

For commercial radio, I run the PR-40 through a Symetrix 528-E processor. On the ham bands, I use the W2IHY "EQ Plus" and "Eight Band EQ". Both units match up well to the PR-40.

For a mike cage and boom, I do prefer the Electro-Voice model 309A cage and boom compared to the Heil product. The EV tougher. I also use a riser to put the mike at a better angle.

If you're looking for quality as well as a great value for the price, go with the Heil PR40.
W5BXY Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2015 08:53 Send this review to a friend
The best I've used  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Heil PR40 to use with my Yaesu FT950. I followed Bob Heilís instructions in setting up the parametric equalizer for the FT950 which he helped design. I also purchased the shielded cable recommended. I am not an expert on microphones but all of the comments about my signal and voice quality that Iíve received since using this microphone have been excellent. Having been a musician for most of my life and having used many different microphones (dynamic and condenser) I will honestly say that I place this one above all. I never thought anything could compete with my old Shure SM58ís which I have loved for years but the PR40 does the job well. Itís pricey but in my opinion worth the cost, and above allÖitís made in the USA by a fellow Ham! If you can afford it buy it, you won't be disappointed.
KM4CQG Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Studio Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Heil PR40 produces studio quality on sound on both web casts and Ham Radio. I am amazed when somebody sends me back an audio clip of my transmission the quality of the sound is that good.

I do run the equalization Base turned down as this Microphone and my voice tend to be on the low frequency side.

If you have the money to spend this is a great product.

W2YM Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2014 20:05 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
This Mic. is unreal.. I have even tried it on old radio's and it sounded so good I couldn't even believe it. Just mic and radio.. it is so nice to hear how great you can sound with this mic. Mark W2YM
NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the PRO 30 and upgraded to the Pro40...Yes, there is a substantial difference, worthy of the upgrade! Audio is full, loud, and cover every once of audio spectrum. I am happy I made the purchase...Additionally I purchased the W2IHY (8 Band Audo Equalizer and EQPlus) and that combination works wonderfully! This combo produces an amazing results...

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased the above Audio equipment before the AMP!

NA6D Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful sounding microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got the PR 40 to match with Ten Tec Orion II. Run wide at about 3.8 Khz and have had nothing but wonderful reports. One station thought I was a radio announcer! It worked so well, I got one for my Omni VII. Same great results. It is expensive to be sure but if you are looking for top shelf audio quality, this is THE microphone for that purpose.
VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 18:11 Send this review to a friend
The Best!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well just like the last post says " Simply the Best". I have used HM-12 and PR-781 for almost 2 years on my TS-590 and had good reports. Well I bought a new rig FTdx-3000 and thought I would try the PR-40 but had to use PR-781 until it came ( 4 week back order ). I had good to great reports with the 781 and then can the PR-40 WOW nice looking, well built, solid. I was told your not going to hear a difference, Ah ya right! I hooked up the Mic with the Yeasu Balanced Cable and I hit the Mon button and well what a great sound and no Eq. so I played with Eq. settings and I sound like I am ready to do the News or Traffic report sounds Fantastic never could get the 781 to sound like that so full and smooth with just the right amount of highs, love it! I should have bought this Mic right from the start. If you are looking for that BIG RADIO sound well this is the Mic and don't let pepole tell you you won't or they won't hear a difference, bull. As for the Radio look for my post in the near future on the FTdx-3000 WOW! Lets just say the TS-590 is the back up rig.

All the best.