Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone
Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: There are currently four models in the PR series… the PR20, PR30, PR780 and the PR40. All are dynamic microphones. The PR20 is essentially a Gold Line Pro with a new look. A review of the PR30 is at . The PR780, has been specifically designed for use with the ICOM 7800/756 Pro lll transceivers. The PR40 is similar in appearance to the PR30 and represents the top of the line.

You can write your own review of the Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone.

KC8PCK Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2012 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The PR40 has a surprisingly wide frequency range for a dynamic microphone, covering 28Hz to 18kHz. In testing a variety of microphones I found the PR-40 to be the best of the best with the rejection of a dynamic and the clarity and sparkle of a condenser. This microphone has become the clear favorite of pod-casters and amateur radio audio enthusiasts. Worth every penny! The service you receive from the folks at Heil Sound is excellent also, I needed a part for a PL2T boom and they sent it to me at no charge even though the warranty had expired!
LU7BSE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2012 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Mejor aun que el PR-781  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Se reemplazo por el PR-781, mejor sonido, mas nítido, el PR-40 es el perfecto aliado del Kenwood TS-590s, Reportes de audio Excelentes, El PR-40 se destaca de todos, un sonido particular. solo usando el EQ del 590.

100% Recomendable!
N4YX Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2012 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an Excellent Mic and performs as well or better than any in my arsenal.
K5REZ Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2012 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Worth Every Penny  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Some people are "microphone" people and love to toy with audio. Others are not.

Over time, I've bought several microphones, totaling more than the price of the PR40. I wish I'd have bought the Heil PR40 first.

If you like the way your radio sounds (and others comment favorably) then stick with the microphone you have.

The Heil PR40 and my Flex 3000 have a "good thing going". I'm happy.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 11:29 Send this review to a friend
like night and day  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my PR40 yesterday and it replaces an AT2020 into an Icom 7000.

What a difference it makes, much more gain from the dynamic PR40 than the AT condenser, more frequency response, and immune to "P"ss.

I also made the connections and settings suggested on the Heil page for the Icom and those were the icing on the cake.

The only down side of routing the Mic audio into the rear accessory jack is that Vox doesn't work from that input, nor does recording audio for the
memory voice playback.

It is an expensive mic but if you want a reliable, durable high fidelity mic this is the one.
N1ZLE Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Thanks Mr. Heil!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using it for about 4 yrs, love it.
After side by side testing with an RE-27, ATR-30, Behringer B-1, and B-2, at my home studio on both guitar and voice, this is my favorite.

It has the fullest, most articulate, and accurate representation of my voice I've found.

VK2AAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2011 16:19 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There's not a lot more that I can add to what has already been said but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth anyway.

This mic has gotten me several unsolicited comments like "beautiful audio" and "perfect audio" in the few weeks that I've owned it. It's installed on the boom using the shock mount. Radio is ICOM 7600 and the best adjustments for my voice seem to be mic gain at 50%, bass +0, treble +4 and compression wide. Besides the audio quality the ergonomics of using a mic on a boom are fantastic compared to the assortment of desk mics that I have been through.

If I had my time over I would have bought this setup in the first place instead of being cheap - I would have saved money by doing it properly in the first place.
AC8JD Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic but pricey  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My title should say it all. It is everything the great reviews have to say about it. I am an audiophile and know quality audio when I hear it. Not only does this mic give you great audio, but it has great gain. I love that you don't have to have this mic directly in front of you at 2-4 inches from your face. It can be mounted on the boom off to the side and you can literally be facing away from it and it will still pick up your voice. I have not had any other mic except stock hand held mics. This mic has allowed me to have phenomenal audio, but also allow me to talk quieter as if I am having a conversation with someone in the same room as opposed to as if I were having a conversation with someone standing outside next to a busy road.

I truthfully would not have bought this Mic since it is pricey. However, I found a heck of a deal for the mic, the SM2 shock mount, PLT2 boom, and the shielded cable for my FT-950... I would have spent more if I had bought a cheaper mic new with the boom, mount and cable.

If you have the FT-950 I understand it is highly recommended to get the Heil shielded cable.
N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 10:28 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the PR 40 with the boom stand, shock mount and hand switch. It's fitted to the side of a small table and connected to my Icom Pro III. All settings are set to the ones listed on the Heil site. Reports are excellent and I have found that I am heard well through pile-ups, too! The instrument quality is solid and I think that for the money, it would be hard to find a better value. Bob and crew are available to assist with any concerns or comments. I feel this is one one the best pieces of gear that a Ham could buy. It will follow me through any up-grades to radio gear, if they are ever made. If you would like to see a picture of a small station with side mounted boom using this mic, feel free to drop me a note:

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent ...but expensive.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good microphone. It looks great, feels solid, and doesn't need 48V. This could be the last ham microphone you will ever need. I don't see how it could get much better in audio quality. However, it is expensive. There are other microphones that sound as good and cost much less, the MXL990 for example. I'm not knocking this mic quality wise, just its price. By the way, when trying to communicate under less than ideal conditions, the old Turner Plus 3 (25-60 dollars on EBay) walks all over the PR40 (and any other mic). It's your choice if you want to spend the money. It is an outstanding sounding microphone for your radio.