Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone
Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: There are currently four models in the PR series… the PR20, PR30, PR780 and the PR40. All are dynamic microphones. The PR20 is essentially a Gold Line Pro with a new look. A review of the PR30 is at http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/pr30.htm . The PR780, has been specifically designed for use with the ICOM 7800/756 Pro lll transceivers. The PR40 is similar in appearance to the PR30 and represents the top of the line.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphone.

N1ZLE Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Thanks Mr. Heil!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using it for about 4 yrs, love it.
After side by side testing with an RE-27, ATR-30, Behringer B-1, and B-2, at my home studio on both guitar and voice, this is my favorite.

It has the fullest, most articulate, and accurate representation of my voice I've found.

VK2AAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2011 16:19 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There's not a lot more that I can add to what has already been said but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth anyway.

This mic has gotten me several unsolicited comments like "beautiful audio" and "perfect audio" in the few weeks that I've owned it. It's installed on the boom using the shock mount. Radio is ICOM 7600 and the best adjustments for my voice seem to be mic gain at 50%, bass +0, treble +4 and compression wide. Besides the audio quality the ergonomics of using a mic on a boom are fantastic compared to the assortment of desk mics that I have been through.

If I had my time over I would have bought this setup in the first place instead of being cheap - I would have saved money by doing it properly in the first place.

AC8JD Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic but pricey  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My title should say it all. It is everything the great reviews have to say about it. I am an audiophile and know quality audio when I hear it. Not only does this mic give you great audio, but it has great gain. I love that you don't have to have this mic directly in front of you at 2-4 inches from your face. It can be mounted on the boom off to the side and you can literally be facing away from it and it will still pick up your voice. I have not had any other mic except stock hand held mics. This mic has allowed me to have phenomenal audio, but also allow me to talk quieter as if I am having a conversation with someone in the same room as opposed to as if I were having a conversation with someone standing outside next to a busy road.

I truthfully would not have bought this Mic since it is pricey. However, I found a heck of a deal for the mic, the SM2 shock mount, PLT2 boom, and the shielded cable for my FT-950... I would have spent more if I had bought a cheaper mic new with the boom, mount and cable.

If you have the FT-950 I understand it is highly recommended to get the Heil shielded cable.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 10:28 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the PR 40 with the boom stand, shock mount and hand switch. It's fitted to the side of a small table and connected to my Icom Pro III. All settings are set to the ones listed on the Heil site. Reports are excellent and I have found that I am heard well through pile-ups, too! The instrument quality is solid and I think that for the money, it would be hard to find a better value. Bob and crew are available to assist with any concerns or comments. I feel this is one one the best pieces of gear that a Ham could buy. It will follow me through any up-grades to radio gear, if they are ever made. If you would like to see a picture of a small station with side mounted boom using this mic, feel free to drop me a note: tbgspaceship@yahoo.com

Terry

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent ...but expensive.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good microphone. It looks great, feels solid, and doesn't need 48V. This could be the last ham microphone you will ever need. I don't see how it could get much better in audio quality. However, it is expensive. There are other microphones that sound as good and cost much less, the MXL990 for example. I'm not knocking this mic quality wise, just its price. By the way, when trying to communicate under less than ideal conditions, the old Turner Plus 3 (25-60 dollars on EBay) walks all over the PR40 (and any other mic). It's your choice if you want to spend the money. It is an outstanding sounding microphone for your radio.

VO1GWK Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2010 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Heil PR-40  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, what can I say but try it for your-self. I've been using all kinds of mics for over 30 years of playing in bands and operating Amateur Radio, and in my opinion the PR-40 is as good as it gets for Amateur Radio. It all depends on what type of sound you're looking for. However, if you're looking for quality and clarity along with a BIG FAT bottom end the PR-40 wins hands down versus the RE-20. You will also notice that the PR-40 demonstrates a super clean TOP END without sounding harsh like most condenser mics does. For my money versus over-all sound, the PR-40 is a real winner!!
VO1GWK

N2DTS Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2010 12:00 Send this review to a friend
good but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked one up at hro to replace the Audio Technica 3035 condenser mic I have been using for 10 years. I was thinking about an RE20 but read comparisons and listened to wave files of both mic's, they are close, and so is the 3035.
The pr40 seems well built, no complaint there.
I plugged it into the vx2000 I use for a preamp and compressor, and output is very low, the input gain has to be almost all the way up. I dont like that, plus having the gain so high I was picking up hum. I replaced the cabe with a shorter cable and the hum is down, but the level is still low. The 3035 gain setting is at 20%, the pr40 is at 90%!

Anyway, the sound of the pr40 is VERY close to the 3035 ($150.00), and the 3035 is just as well made, has more output, has 10 db pad and low cut switches built in.
If I was to guess, the pr40 has a little more extreme low end, like at 50Hz.

I dont have any problems not using a pop screen on either mic, the pr40 has much more proximity effect, which can be good or bad depending on what you want.

KU5Q Rating: 3/5 Nov 16, 2009 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Not so much  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hard to believe some folks are falling over themselves about this mic. You can get some good voice audio out of this mic, but in reality it is nothing that special. The humbucking coil in the the PR40 is nothing new either. Construction a little lacking for a $$ mic. But, then its sold to hams. It's definitely like a Rolex compared to what some of the stuff looks like that you see that hams build for themselves. (Look at some of those crude, cobbled together projects in QST).

I like to have good audio too, nothing against that at all. I've used the PR40 borrowed from a friend (it's only a mic, not the Space Shuttle, so I don't need it for a couple of years to fully evaluate it), it also makes a wonderful stage mic for live sound too. I'm not complaining about performance it's among the best, but it's overpriced for what it is.

However, I can't blame Bob Heil for being a good businessman, good long time musician, and over all good technician in the PRO sound world besides being a ham, and super nice guy. Can't fault the man for making the most he can from his products.

I might buy one in the future just because I like and respect Bob Heil, not because the PR40 is such a fabulous mic.

W2YM Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2009 20:15 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run this PR-40 with my IC-7800 and it sound's GREAT. I don't use any audio mixer's in between the mic and radio. I just set the Bass and Treb. in the radio and use this mic and I get GREAT audio from this mic. I can't say anything bad about this GREAT mic.. Mark W2YM 73's.

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2009 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Better Than My RE-27  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All things being relative, in less than a couple of weeks I was forced to downgrade my RE-27 the GOOD catagory. I did a head to head test with the Heil PR-40 using no equalization, comparable levels, fed thru a Mackie Mixer and captured with Adobe Audition. The difference in sound quality was significant. The PR-40 was much warmer and realistic and immune to noise generated by a nearby monitor that the RE-27 managed to pick up.

The Heil is by far a better microphone and is also manufactured in the United States.

If you would like to hear the test, email me at wa4jm@arrl.net, and I will send you the sample wav file. It's about 880KB.

73, me