Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band
Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Take the APRS/TNC out of a 'D700, and - viola! - you have a TM-V708a!

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band.

N6ZUC Rating: 3/5 Jul 5, 2012 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig but some problems.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these units.

The positives are it has nice sounding audio, easy to use, true dual band. I like the scanner and the band display. Good rig for the shack.

The negatives are it is heat sensitive. I live in the Las Vegas area and it is unusable as a mobile in the summer when temps are high. It loses transmit audio. All 3 of my units do the same thing. The other negative although not a real big dea is that all units measure 40 watts only as it is supposed to be 50.

YO9IBC Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2010 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yaesu FT-1802 I changed to a Kenwood TM-V708A and I can say it's a great station. Very good reception and emission identical. I recommend this station.

W2BLC Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2009 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Basic reliable daul rx  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it for over a year - never mobile. Made a good scanner - but not my cuppa. Went back to stand alone 2M rig.

W2BLC Rating: 1/5 Mar 24, 2009 13:52 Send this review to a friend
on't buy it  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is obsolete after less then a year and suffered from poor QC. Volume controls are junk.

N6ISL Rating: 2/5 Sep 24, 2008 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Obsolete scam  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
How does a major manufacturer put out a radio and obsolete it in less than a year. Bought the 708 new and ended up using it for a home based radio. Then the local club opted to replace our repeater and the new unit is narrow band due to conflicts with an adjacent high level machine. Here lies the problem...a releatively brand new radio from a major manufacturer and it won't do narrow band transmit.

W5SEA Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2008 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Really Awesome Mobile!!! A+  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been through alot of radios in the past few years of being in Ham Radio, and this one has to be my favorite FM Dual Band Mobile, Great TX/RX Audio, and everyone says it has better audio quality than most of the Yaesus out there, you just can't beat it unless you purchase the TM-D700A that has the TNC, but I did'nt need that. If you're going mobile, this is the one to get, too bad they discontinued it!!!

K1MBR Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2007 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Really enjoy this one!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A friend of mine just recently got his License (2004 :^P ) and has 2 of these units. One in his house and one in his mobile. I helped him program both radios. Boy did I miss that clone feature some of the older models had. I started setting up my shack in the new home and realized I need a newer dual band for the shack, so I bought a TM-V708a since I liked the features.

I bought a new TM-V71a at the Dayton Hamvention to replace my aging TM-733 in the mobile. After working both radios, I found that the TM-V708a is the ideal mobile radio and the TM-V71a was better suited for my shack. On the TM-V708a I love the frequency WITH the alpha display, over switching from one to the other and back. The band scope function is great feature to have as well.

Another friend of mine also bought a TM-V71a since the radio store he bought it from told him the TM-V708 was being discontinued?! You can find his write up in the TM-V71a section, WOW was that one sick radio, "possessed" is more of the word I would use. Well this weekend it went back and you guessed it! It was replaced with a TM-V708a. He's a happy camper now.

What with ALL the information that can be stored and displayed with this radio it REALLY needs a clone or computer programming function! Other than that this one is still a winner for me.

Larry "I'Gor" K1MBR

KI4UGE Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2007 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new ham and this was my first radio. I love the thing. Its simple to use and the manual is easy to understand. The display is clear and the sound is excellent. My only complaint is so minor as to be ridiculous and that is, I'd like to be able to control the volume from the mic.

Now for a discussion about the primary reason I bought this. I do a lot of hunting in an area with no cell coverage. I often hunt alone. I wanted a unit that was capable of cross band repeating with my HT in an emergency. It took a bit of trail and error, but I've now got it figured out and its remarkable. People can't believe I'm on a HT. Its just crystal clear and makes a huge difference in range.

There are two different ways to set up the cross band. The "simplex" method is a bit of a pain, but it works. The key to that is to make sure you assign a control and TX frequencies (they must be different). It works, but also requires a dual band HT and programming the HT is a lot more complicated. The conventional cross band is much easier and more clear. It takes seconds to set up.

If you're going to get this radio for this purpose, I do have one piece of advice. Turn up the squelch to maximum on both bands. If you don't, it will often not rebroadcst your signals in one direction or the other (or both).

In all, I'm very satisfied with the unit. I don't have anything to compare it to, but as a newbie, its been a short learning curve.

WI2Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2007 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Replaced my TM741 tri bander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Although I only had it for a short time in the mobile this one more than meets the bill for 2 and 440. You can see the frequency and the alpha tags at the same time... very important with 200 memories. I found it to do almost everything my 741 did (except the third band). If it wasn't that I put an ICOM 7000 in the mobile, I would not be selling it... The display is very readable in the mobile. I did find it a little hard to use (mounting wise) in the ham shack.

K9YC Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2007 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Design and Features, Lousy QC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio as a return from HRO in Sunnyvale, at a discount of about 10%, with the assurance that it was new and working fine. It certainly looked new, and parts of it hadn't been unpacked.

I quickly learned why it was returned -- the microprocessor was fouled up in the same manner noted by the previous review. That is, one of the two receivers was VERY loud, while the other had very low audio gain. Both recievers had flaky squelch operation.

I was also unhappy with HRO, and won't do business with them again.