Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band
Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Take the APRS/TNC out of a 'D700, and - viola! - you have a TM-V708a!

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-V708a Dual-band.

KG6YRG Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2005 13:18 Send this review to a friend
V708a Documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was able to find a brochure and user manual on the Kenwood Website. They are downloadable at:

Hit "Downloads" Button

Hit "Manuals" Button

Scroll down to find the TM-V708a.

I find this rig to be both simple and capable. Simple is good for me because I'm still learning. Capable is good because I'm getting results from the start [I've already worked repeaters up to 75 miles away from my QTH).

DMOORE Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2005 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Very, Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the one reviewer indicated, it is difficult to get a lot of info. on this radio... I purchased from www.universal-radio.com because they had the most info. available, a good price -- $380 w/shipping, and it was in-stock - while many other stores didn't stock it yet. It does not appear to be computer programmable, but perhaps that is because Kenwood has not developed the cabling and software yet?... The D700, which the TM-V708a is based upon, is programmable, so maybe Kenwood is still developing this aspect?...

I have only owned it 3 weeks, but:

1.) All my transmission quality reports have been positive; signal strength has been commensurate with other mobiles I have owned. I will be doing some more intensive antenna work this weekend, so I will report anything unusual.

2.) No receive problems, the scanning functions are plentiful, and work as indicated...

3.) Display quality is wonderful, and the radio is easy to manually program. There are many handy capabilities/functions of all types.

4.) Having the remote head mounting be standard is terrific -- especially for the price!!! It allows the designers to create a more readable and useful display which I would infer is probably safer to use with mobile operations. It allows for a more compact base unit which is important with the smaller interiors of today's cars. The display is larger as you would hope, the base unit is smaller as you would hope, and you get more display mounting options for operating ease and safety!

5.) Cross-band repeat!!! I love the mobility I'll now have with the various service/events our local club helps with, especially the Susquehannock Trail Pro Rally, June 3/4!!!! (PS. We need more hams, check out an awesome opportunity at www.stpr.org!!!!!!!!!)

6.) Unit quality, packaging, accessories, mounting brackets, etc. have been first rate.

In the end analysis, it will do all that I need, all that I could find out about it, and more.

Blessings and 73's,

Dave Moore -- KB3IEC

N2UNL Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2005 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My review of this rig is nothing to complain about. I have had many radios and this is on top of the list for it's price and simple to operate and performence and universal mounting. I have been told that i'm a very picky person when it comes to the rx part of a radio. This is above my icom-706 on tx/rx. Sorry if you where looking for neg. lines about it, Just positive ones here. Do yourself a favor and ordere it. 73,s.. N2UNL

KK5AA Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2005 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio on 4/2/05 at a local hamfest and installed it the following Monday. I have owned 2 prior Kenwood dual band radios and have enjoyed this one so far. Programming was very easy. Setup is simple. Audio reports were "very clear" and "nice rig".
I am no longer interested in packet, had some bad experiences there. But the ability to connect to a TNC with a data cable is always there if I change my mind. Since you can select the TNC type to connect, upgrades or changes in the packet system will not obsolete this radio. Overall, I am enjoying this radio much more than my previous rigs.
I have even started a Yahoo group to dicuss it with others - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMV708A/
If you are interested, feel free to stop by. Open group to anyone interested. No spammers allowed.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2005 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Not A Bad Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Considering that as a previous reviewer noted there are things this radio doesn't do and considering that it isn't even listed on Kenwood's website, my actual experience with one has been pretty positive in the short time I have owned it. It doesn't have a built in TNC but every other feature one might expect in a dual band mobile is there. Programming manually is not difficult, the menu is easy to use and the control head both looks good and displays info in an easy to read size. Both TX and RX audio is very good. Given the flexibility of the control head mounting braket finding a mounting angle tht allows for easy viewing mobile or fixed is easy. If you don't need the built in tnc it is well worth the money.

N8JSN Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2005 13:20 Send this review to a friend
This is not the same as a D700 with out the TNC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio should never have been released from Kenwood. #1) there is not much information on it available to the public. Its not even on Kenwoods web site #2) It is not computer programable nor will it ever be. There are other features that it is missing but I Will not go into it here. If you have purchased it pray that you do not need support from Kenwood either. 5 phone calls and none have been returned.

Bottom line is this radio does not the same features and will not ever be close to being the D700

KC9GGH Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Novice ham finds it good so far.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
QSO's for my first QSL ranged from "excellent" to "I would not change a thing".
No mike extension included even though the radio requires remote mounting of the head.

Just got my ticket June 2004 so I have not used crossband repeat or any advanced features.

Fan is quiet and the audio is good. I have scanned the railroad frequencies with excellent results.

I am experiencing some intermod in Cincinnati. These is a feature to minimize this but I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Using 1/2 wave Jetstream antenna and trunk lip mount. Pleased with purchase so far.

KK6NJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2005 18:47 Send this review to a friend
AN SOPHISTICATED RIG!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I recently purchased this radio recently,an
new years purchase one of the first,sold
backordered to replace the v7-a code blue,rig
the radio is nice but the head does not attach
to the front of the radio,like previous models
the rig is meant to go under the seat and the
head attached elsewhere but not in front of the,
rig,iam using it for an range extender and
link radio,the programming menu is similar
to yaesu not to friendly,compared to older rigs
the fan is noisy,but by experimenting putting
something with weight on top of the rig quiets
it down comfortably,so if you have it under
your seat,it may be an nuisance or distraction.
in the trunk more likely this would not apply.

if you are standing on top looking down over
the radio you cannot see the display.

The head is good looking,and the display is
busy with all its indicators.I think
the g-707 is better looking and less intimidating
but it has no crossband repeat.The radio runs
cool on crossband repeat with low power.
the receive is hot i noticed as well,very
sensitive. 73,s KK6NJ.

K6LCS Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2004 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Priced a little less than the FT-8800 + Separation Kit. But it is NOT computer-programmable nor clonable. Same EXTREMELY legible large display as we know and love with the 'D700. Same features: cross-band repeat; 20 memory channels; 5 Programmable Memory settings; dual-receive. VS-3 voice chip available.