Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | CAP.CO.SPC.300.ATU Help

Reviews Summary for CAP.CO.SPC.300.ATU
CAP.CO.SPC.300.ATU Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Both the spc 300D and the spc3000D are undoubtedly the finest a.t.u's in the world today

You can write your own review of the CAP.CO.SPC.300.ATU.

G6ZEY Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2012 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Cap.co 300  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a Cap now for a number of years cannot fault it.
But I saw a new radio I quite fancied with a built in ATU
Getting lazy in my old age thought I will go for a new rig with built in ATU and was offered 20-30 in part exchange for my Cap well I think the box it's in is worth more so will not be parting with it.as someone said on this ATU if you see one buy it they are the best.

EI6DP Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have recently purchased a Cap. Co. 300 on eBay. Well, in one word - Brilliant - this is one very well engineered ATU and its matching capabilities are just astounding. Should you see one for sale, buy it, don't hesitate.

My previous ATU was an SGC MAC-200. It died and its no bloody loss.

The Cap. Co. is what you can describe as a Real ATU.

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2012 14:45 Send this review to a friend
DONT MESS WITH 2ND BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
BEST ATU EVER PRODUCTION MADE..GOOD QUALITY..LARGE HEAVY DUTY GEAR..WORKS EVERDAY FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS..NOT SEEN MUCH THESE DAYS BUT DO BECOME UP FOR GRABS NOW N THEN 2ND USER..
IF U DO SEE ONE AND IT FLOATS U BOAT BUY IT..

G4GZG Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Buy one if you see it , they dn't make these any more !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my SPC300 used off e bay. I needed an ATU to match complex impedences that my various 'multiband' antennas produce . i also like playing with antennas and other ATUs all seemed to have limitations. I read the reviews of the SPC300 and can honestly say this ATU does what it promises. It's very well built compared with the average ATU and uses the W1FB SPC transmatch circuit which is in simple terms a T match with a second variable cap in parallel with the coil and ganged with the output cap.
This ATU will match anything and runs my 100W with no arcing. I tried everything including a 6ft whip on 40M and my sloper which is notorious on WARC bands for difficult matching. The SPC matched both these antennas to my K3 like a dream. Should have got one years ago.

G0TIY Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2010 08:50 Send this review to a friend
The best !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had lots of atu's palstar FC102 Tokyo hi power. beats them all hands down.
The CAP CO s.p.c. 300 A.T.U..Is very well engineered built to last not like some of to days
atu's this thing is bomb proof .Still going strong 20 yrs on.If your looking for one and are
lucky to find one buy it.You will not regret it handles full UK power (400w) with ease This
A T U has a feel of quality to it slow motion drives marvelous, tuning if effortless and
accurate.

G0CVL Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2009 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Bargain buy !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an add on to my previous review, I have looked around for similar spec atu's.
The ONLY similar spec to the CapCo 3000, is the Palstar AT5K, at over $1150 !!!!
Ok, the Palstar has a meter built in (big deal more wiring, and ic's to get effected by rf), but that would make a used CapCo 3000D, a BARGAIN.............If you can find one!!!!
I forgot to add that the "D" variants of these atu's mean it has relay switching for (on the 3000) 2 x coax inputs, and a balanced line. It also has a coaxial input for the 4:1 balun on the balanced line, and a through position for all inputs.
MARVELOUS !!

Spike - G0CVL

G0OTT Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2008 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Solid Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first piece of HF equipment i bought in 1991,Leicester rally at granby hall's.
Tunes almost anything,I have had hand capacitance but that was down to me trying to tune something I shouldn't :)
Only used now when I power my Hunter amp up, takes care of 400 watts easily.
Left it neglected in the shed for 7 years, took cover of and sprayed with wd40,gave everything a spin, worked flawlessly.
I remember at the time of purchase thinking"This is really expensive" I'm sure it will outlast me :)
If you come across one don't hesitate,buy it !!!

G7IGB Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2007 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Superb HF ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the old CAP.CO SPC-300 ATU which does NOT require 12V DC for operation, mine is about 22 years old but looks and feels like new! This ATU can tune any of my wire aerials on ANY band, these include a home brew G5RV, DX dipole and end fed long wire. Quite simply, this is the best tuner I've ever used. Superb!

G4RUR Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Great first impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tuning up a half size G5RV squashed into a postage stamp garden has until now proven to be a nightmare. Arching ATUs are just not fun (SEM Transmatch).

The CAP.CO is a neat sized package. Slightly old styling but who cares I want performance and this ATU gives it. It is a breeze to tune and looks really solidly made. My G5RV is now tuned to 1:1 using everything from 10 to 400W. The claimed power ratings look conservative which is good news. The controls are smooth and easy to use. There is no sign of hand capacitance or those little bites that some tuners give.

Time will tell if the relays hold out but if not the basic components are real quality and I will simply hardwire the ATU. This is a bit of kit to keep and get good use out of.

G4UDT Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2005 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent build quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for over 10 years and its never given me any trouble. Very smooth slow motion controls give it a quality feel. In my quiet period when I sold all my radios and ceased operating, I still kept the atu for future use; now I'm glad I did not sell it.

However, I don't use it as often as I recently acquired a relay driven auto ATU from LDG.