Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Alliance HD-73 Help

Reviews Summary for Alliance HD-73
Alliance HD-73 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $499.00
Description: Medium duty rotator

You can write your own review of the Alliance HD-73.

K9NZ Rating: 2/5 Apr 7, 2014 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Ok for vhf   Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these at Dayton years ago, to use with a A-3 triband beam. That is when I learned all about tower climbing there is no brake to speak of so when the big winds start your antenna spins like a pinata, Thats why there is no brake switch! After a couple of years I replaced it with a Ham-IV and never looked back. The Ham IV has been in service for over 15 years on several towers with mono bands and stacked beams not one problem. I gave a $125. for mine new, that was more than it was worth.
K9NZ

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
A workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up in the tower here in FL since 1989. I can't recall how long it was at my 9 land QTH in northern Illinois. Regardless, with one checkup with Norm's after a lightning strike as a precaution, it's been a terrific rotor. I have it in tower mounted with a thrust bearing at 60 feet, no weight rests on the rotor, all it has to deal with is turning. I have a Mosley CL-33 up there, right at the spec limit of 11 sq ft. I also have 19 element long boom 2 meter antenna and an 11 element 440 MHz ant being handled by the rotator. It has simply been excellent..

W7NIK Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2013 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Works Great after couple years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this rotor, works great i love the no brake button. This is mounted on a HDBX48, with a thrust bearing with TA 33 mosley and tri band yagi . total ft sq is about 8 ftsq., If you see one buy it and rebuild the bearing and you are good for years

KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2011 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Works solidly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is running under a Swan Tri-bander that I restored and it works great. I bought it used, bench tested it, put it up and all is as advertised. It features very solid construction and excellent performance. What else could I ask for?

K2FOX Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2010 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Over 20 years of reliable service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rotor in the mid-1980's and have had several different antennas mounted above it over the years. Not one single problem. Last year I lowered the tower and removed the rotor, cleaned it up a bit and lubicated it, and put it back up. It's still going strong...

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 10:08 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ROTOR FOR THE MONEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the cheapest rotor on the market when I got mine in I believe 89' or so. It turned a 4 element 10 meter beam and stayed up for about 15 years. Planning to use it again for an a3s and a 2m beam soon. The only problem has been the rotor control box light. The bulb go popped in a surge/lighting hit. Norms rotor service does have them. Replaced and working fine. So for this kind of longevity, pretty darn good product.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2010 10:50 Send this review to a friend
20 years and still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rotator new in the early 1990's, and used it to turn a small A4S when I lived in CA. Three years ago I moved to northern OR, and now use it to turn a TH6DXX on a 50 foot Rohn 25 tower (with a Rohn thrust bearing), with a 10 foot mast with a 3 ele 6 meter beam on the very top. This is probably the limit of what this rotator will do, and I was expecting problems with our windy winters here. Hey, I already had the rotator, so if it broke I would replace it with something stronger.....

Well, 3 Oregon winters later it still works flawlessly. Sure, with not much of a brake (the Alliance uses a kind of "disc brake" system) the antenna can change bearings a few degrees with very strong winds, but at least the gears don't break from the wedges that the Hygain rotators use.

During storms I always turn the antenna to face the wind direction, which probably helps.

I have seen these at ham swaps complete with the controller for less than 100 dollars, and my buddy once bought one for $40. What a deal.....
I paid $100 for my "spare".....

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2009 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Too bad they are out of production!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one now and have had others in the past. The only thing I don't like about them is the lack of a "stop" on the motor. They are very reliable if installed properly and kept under the winload limit.

N5NPO Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello all. I put this used HD-73 up back in late 2005. I got it on 70' of Rohn 25 with a 3 element 17 meter monobander with 2" od 19' boom made from a couple of DB-224 masts. I also have a 6 meter monobander on it with a 6' boom. I got this stacked on a 9' steel mast. Only problem so far is lightening took out a motor winding and some components inside the control box. I had some spare parts, so I re-built. She is back up and still going strong. I have a HAM 3 and a T2X that needs fixing and I may do that, but why hurry, the HD-73 is working great.

AA5TE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2006 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two of these, got both of them at separate times for about $125 each, including the control box.

They never failed to work, are a better design than a lot of other rotators, and I've never had any problems with these unlike I have with HyGain rotators.