Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Alliance HD-73 Help

Reviews Summary for Alliance HD-73
Alliance HD-73 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $499.00
Description: Medium duty rotator

You can write your own review of the Alliance HD-73.

N5XYO Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2005 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Medium Duty Rotator!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had 2 to 3 of these up on towers at one time or another and I've only had to pull 1 rotor and that was only due to a lightning hit knocking out the bearing pot. (I only pulled it as I had to redo everything up there anyway...)It was on that 100 ft. tower for well over 10 years. Presently I have two in use and they just keep on ticking.
I keep a couple extra in storage for that "just in case" situation. The HD73 is underrated in capacity because I have more than 10 sqft of antennas on them and I don't use a thrust bearing. This was one one the best values I've ever found in amateur radio!

W6HB Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2005 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Good choice...  Time owned: more than 12 months
...still a good rotator line and available from Norm's Rotor.

AB5GU Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2005 20:42 Send this review to a friend
can't break'em  Time owned: more than 12 months
4 in the air for 13 years, no problems yet! Wish you could still get them.

KI6LO Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2005 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on working and working  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a used one on eBay a couple of years ago and it is mounted OUTSIDE the top of a small tower turning a 2 element 5 band Delta Loop quad antenna. It's been through 60-70+ mph wind gusts and exposed to subfreezing and 116 F degree summer temps and hasn't even flinched.

I had one years ago and same solid results. Only thing that kills these is Mother Nature and a solid lightning strike.

KB0GU Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2005 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Finally broke!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After years of reliable service turning an A3S at heights anywhere from 20 to 50 foot in the air this rotator finally broke. We had 90 MPH winds come through this spring and the last 60 degrees +/- of due south will not work any longer. Am told by rotor repair place that this is due to gear or drive breaking due to being torqued. Rain or shine, cold or hot it just worked and worked for me. Think I got my money worth

WA1TAQ Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2005 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Too light and no brake  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have gone through three of these in five years and rebuilt two of them twice as well. They are rated for 10 square feet, and that's really more than it can handle. I had a TH6DXX (10.7 sq. ft.)with a thrust bearing. The rotor turned the beam just fine, but came apart in 45 mph winds. Granted, I had 10.7 sq. ft. of antenna on it, (7% over rated wind load) but it should have been able to handle this at 45 mph. The lack of a brake is a key issue. Fine for small, 3 to 5 element beams, but that's it.

WA7TN Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great for Small to Medium Beams  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have turned a Mosley MP-33-N WARC (29 pound beam with 15 ft turning radius) with this rotor for almost 13 years. It is accurate, relatively fast, holds up well in winds (up to 60 mph or so in western WA), and is relatively inexpensive. During that time it has never missed a beat. Mine is mounted on a telescoping TV mast right above roof peak and no thrust bearing. I see it's rated to 10 sq. ft. and that's plenty for me. My only other experience is with light weight rotors (e.g. Alliance U-100)for small 6m beams. Norm's Rotor Service (www.rotorservice.com) bought out Alliance and is the source of rebuilt and new HD-73s.

W4CPT Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2005 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had an HD-73 for several years and find that it is an excellent product. I had a lightning storm knock it out one time. Two diodes in the control box were destroyed. I replaced both of them and it was back in operation. I drill a hole in my mast pipe to allow for countersinking of the set screw. This stops the antenna from turning in heavy wind.

W4MY Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2004 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Medium Duty  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rotor is not made anymore, but if you can find one get it. I have used mine for a year now to turn a Force 12 C3 (5.7 sf windload) in a Rohn25 tower. No problems. It has slipped when winds have been greater than 80MPH during storms we've had, but its no worse for wear. That actually helped keep the C3 from sustaining dammage. I like it better than the Ham II and Ham IV rotors I've had in the past as both of those required me to repair them on more than one occasion.