Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro 2
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $595
Description: Davis Vantage Pro 2
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage2.asp

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Nice weather station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had my pro2 weather station for about a week now. I was using the Peet brothers 2100 weather station But stop working. So I got the pro2 wireless weather station. The pro2 Davis weather station is a lot better. And does a lot more things. I like the rain bucket that came with the pro2. It is real big. Also so I like the wireless. It so far works good. The console came with it shows a lot of things at same time. It like a small computer. I like on the bottom of console when it rain's hard it says it raining cats and dogs. Some one had a since of humor when making it. The forecast button was pretty good. It tells you what the weather going do in next 6 hours.

SM5GLC Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2013 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Thought it woud be higher quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
As long as it works, it is great!

With just one week remaining of warranty my indoor unit failed, but got replaced. Now my oudoor unit/ISS is having power supply problems (not the super cap). Cost to replace is >$225 as Davis only sell spare parts directly to domestic US.

KI4ZUQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2012 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Wx station for several years and locations.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wife bought the Vantage Pro II while we were full-timing in a motorhome working in RV parks. Made a mount for the Sensor Suite to fit on the back ladder and rigged it whenever we stopped. Worked flawlessly from 2005 to date. The exception was short battery life for the last couple of years. Recently found this review and K9VSK as well as WA9ZOH steered me to replace C34 which was "puking" out the bottom. Replaced it with one from Mouser (They are FAST at doing orders!) and it is back up. Might know Hams would figure out what was wrong and how to fix it!

This station was way better for a reasonable price than any other. I have seen these stations in remote locations in AZ at unattended sites and at uncontrolled airfields in FL used by the Navy. Have tried several other "cheaper" stations and this is the best.

M0TTB Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Expensive (in U.K.) but worth it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Firstly, Davis weather stations cost a fortune in the U.K. and importing is not an option if you want to stay within the law (different wireless frequencies).

But after years of putting up with cheaper units, that usually fail after 12 months, I bit the bullet and went for a Davis.

18 months on, and absolutely no problems at all. I have 2 Vantage Pro2 consoles as well as a Vantage vue console. Running weatherlink I.P. my main console just plugs into the router and data uploads without fuss, day in and day out, and without having my pc running all the time. Uploads to WU, CWP et al.

Only mishap was during some antenna work. The anemometer was placed on a 3 foot high tree stump overnight...the next morning it was on the grass beneath with the cable chewed by a squirrel. The damaged cable was not the problem, the fall for the anemometer was... read switch broken with resulting moisture ingress.

I was very unlucky but the anemometer does need to be treated carefully. Repair was not really viable, and new anemometer was very expensive.

The console display for the Vantage Pro2 probably needs an update... in some ways the Vue console is better.

K9VSK Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2011 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Happy customer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Also had the problem with the short battery life - thanks to a report of similar issue on this site, found C34 10uF 2.7VDC to be leaky - ordered exact replacement from DigiKey. Other than that the station has endured IL weather for 5 years now - quite happy with features and performance!!

WA9ZOH Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2011 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Station but battery issue occurred  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since June of 2006. Humidity sensor went bad in 2009, was a easy fix, just ordered a replacement. In 2010, I found the 3 volt battery in the ISS was depleting unusually fast. I would need to replace it about 2 months following the replacement of the previous battery. Note: This battery is non-rechargeable. The only thing the solar cell does is charge C34, which is a 10 Farad 2.7 volt lytic and when and if that depletes itself, due to the lack of sunlight, the battery then kicks in. Anyway, C34 went leaky showing white powder around the base of the cap and the positive lead and this was the cause of the backup 3 volt battery draining so quickly .Just ordered a replacement from Mouser as well as a 33 Farad. So long as I can fit it under the white enclosure, the more Farads the longer it will go without sunlight before it falls back on the backup battery.

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2011 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for checking local conditions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembly of the weather station was straight foward. I really like the direct link to the internet, allowing me to see conditions at my QTH anywhere, even on my smartphone. Compared accuracy to other equipment and results were very good.

W0VIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
One of the best units on the market.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Vantage Pro 2 running since October of 2005 with no issues. Before, I was using a Peet Brothers, which is also a nice unit but I decided to pull the trigger on this Davis. Glad I did! I have a second console located over 300 feet away and have no problems with reception. I logged almost 5 year's worth of data until I had a catastrophic computer crash and lost it all! (Note to self...backup computer regularly.)

N0YK Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used a Davis VP2 for the last 4 years at my QTH in the country. It's one of those items that you don't realize you need till you have one and then you can live without it! I can't say enough good about the customer support with Davis and the quality of their products. I had a few issues, but all were easily resolved. I run my station with WxSolutions Software which is also Top Notch and very easy to use, unlike some of the others including WeatherLinks that I found frustrating to configure. Right away I added my site to Weather Underground and let them keep a server running to maintain the data stream. I update with this station to Weather Underground every 2-3 seconds, 24x7x365. I run my station, computer and wireless internet on a UPS (battery backup), so during severe thunderstorms when we lose power briefly, I still have data updating to the internet. Ive installed (10) VP2s to date for local neighbors around the area with word of mouth advertising. Here is a link to the site I maintain that has all the WX Station reporting in: http://users.wbsnet.org/n0yk/swkswxstations.html Also here is some pictures of my installation at the house: http://users.wbsnet.org/n0yk/weatherstation.htm Recently we moved and the buyers of our house asked if wed leave the whole setup of the weather station and computer, so for a quick price adjustment we did just that. Now living in the city I just placed an order for a Davis Vantage Vue, so Im excited to see what this new station has to offer. So in summary, if youre in the market for a Weather Station, take a looks at the VP2s. It will be money well spent!
A note to anyone debating between the USB or Serial version of the data logger, go with the Serial! Ive had zero success with the USB version; the serials are 100% reliable to date.
Cheers!

ZF2RN Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2010 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Tough keeping rain gauge clean  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running this station for two plus years in pretty tough tropical weather, including two close brushes with hurricanes. LOTS of rain. Rain gauge does like to collect stuff! Definitely keep it where you can reach it. Mine has been on-line with Davis's software without a glitch. Everything works well and is accurate. I have an extra indoor panel and that is really handy.
Anemometer is mounted at 10m, main collection is just above the roofline about 2m so I can step up on the first step of tower and clean the rain collector.
Had to replace my battery once in two years. But I have the 24 hour fan in the temp/humidity sensor.
I would definitely suggest this weather station to anyone that is looking for a decent station. I gave it a 4/5 just because of the rain collector propensity to collect junk and get plugged.