Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro 2
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $595
Description: Davis Vantage Pro 2
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage2.asp

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

KG5FQT Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2015 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this unit probably close to 10 years. It has lasted through several hurricanes, Katrina, Rita, Issac, and several tropical storms. Survived 30 foot fall during 1 hurricane when the mast it was on was bent over like a twig while it was measuring 70 mph wind gust. About a year ago it quit measuring temperature and wind speed. Sent it back to Davis and for a moderate fee (maybe $100?) they fixed and changed out sensors , cleaned the entire thing, calibrated it and sent it back. Great deal when you figure how old it was and how much I originally paid for it. Currently have it uploaded to APRS network and wunderground.com , Extremely pleased. Last year we added one to our mobile command post at the Sheriff's office. Even after driving that bus around all over the area, still works with no issues with all that vibration and bumps.

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb Station and Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station, along with the WeatherLink software to enable it to the Web, for about four years. It has been extremely reliable. However, the other day a setting got inadvertently altered by myself. I was so impressed with the phone technical support in getting things right again, that I figured I owed them this review. It really is wonderful equipment. My local TV stations have hardwired my Internet feed from it into their temperature charts. I provide a feed to my blog. And it is really neat being able to be anywhere in the world and access on a computer or smartphone the temperature outside and inside your house. When I take a long vacation to the Caribbean etc. in the winter, I like to be able to check the temperature in my house and know things are OK.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Nice weather station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had my pro2 weather station for about a week now. I was using the Peet brothers 2100 weather station But stop working. So I got the pro2 wireless weather station. The pro2 Davis weather station is a lot better. And does a lot more things. I like the rain bucket that came with the pro2. It is real big. Also so I like the wireless. It so far works good. The console came with it shows a lot of things at same time. It like a small computer. I like on the bottom of console when it rain's hard it says it raining cats and dogs. Some one had a since of humor when making it. The forecast button was pretty good. It tells you what the weather going do in next 6 hours.

SM5GLC Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2013 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Thought it woud be higher quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
As long as it works, it is great!

With just one week remaining of warranty my indoor unit failed, but got replaced. Now my oudoor unit/ISS is having power supply problems (not the super cap). Cost to replace is >$225 as Davis only sell spare parts directly to domestic US.

KI4ZUQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2012 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Wx station for several years and locations.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wife bought the Vantage Pro II while we were full-timing in a motorhome working in RV parks. Made a mount for the Sensor Suite to fit on the back ladder and rigged it whenever we stopped. Worked flawlessly from 2005 to date. The exception was short battery life for the last couple of years. Recently found this review and K9VSK as well as WA9ZOH steered me to replace C34 which was "puking" out the bottom. Replaced it with one from Mouser (They are FAST at doing orders!) and it is back up. Might know Hams would figure out what was wrong and how to fix it!

This station was way better for a reasonable price than any other. I have seen these stations in remote locations in AZ at unattended sites and at uncontrolled airfields in FL used by the Navy. Have tried several other "cheaper" stations and this is the best.

M0TTB Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Expensive (in U.K.) but worth it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Firstly, Davis weather stations cost a fortune in the U.K. and importing is not an option if you want to stay within the law (different wireless frequencies).

But after years of putting up with cheaper units, that usually fail after 12 months, I bit the bullet and went for a Davis.

18 months on, and absolutely no problems at all. I have 2 Vantage Pro2 consoles as well as a Vantage vue console. Running weatherlink I.P. my main console just plugs into the router and data uploads without fuss, day in and day out, and without having my pc running all the time. Uploads to WU, CWP et al.

Only mishap was during some antenna work. The anemometer was placed on a 3 foot high tree stump overnight...the next morning it was on the grass beneath with the cable chewed by a squirrel. The damaged cable was not the problem, the fall for the anemometer was... read switch broken with resulting moisture ingress.

I was very unlucky but the anemometer does need to be treated carefully. Repair was not really viable, and new anemometer was very expensive.

The console display for the Vantage Pro2 probably needs an update... in some ways the Vue console is better.

K9VSK Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2011 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Happy customer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Also had the problem with the short battery life - thanks to a report of similar issue on this site, found C34 10uF 2.7VDC to be leaky - ordered exact replacement from DigiKey. Other than that the station has endured IL weather for 5 years now - quite happy with features and performance!!

WA9ZOH Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2011 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Station but battery issue occurred  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since June of 2006. Humidity sensor went bad in 2009, was a easy fix, just ordered a replacement. In 2010, I found the 3 volt battery in the ISS was depleting unusually fast. I would need to replace it about 2 months following the replacement of the previous battery. Note: This battery is non-rechargeable. The only thing the solar cell does is charge C34, which is a 10 Farad 2.7 volt lytic and when and if that depletes itself, due to the lack of sunlight, the battery then kicks in. Anyway, C34 went leaky showing white powder around the base of the cap and the positive lead and this was the cause of the backup 3 volt battery draining so quickly .Just ordered a replacement from Mouser as well as a 33 Farad. So long as I can fit it under the white enclosure, the more Farads the longer it will go without sunlight before it falls back on the backup battery.

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2011 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for checking local conditions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembly of the weather station was straight foward. I really like the direct link to the internet, allowing me to see conditions at my QTH anywhere, even on my smartphone. Compared accuracy to other equipment and results were very good.

W0VIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
One of the best units on the market.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Vantage Pro 2 running since October of 2005 with no issues. Before, I was using a Peet Brothers, which is also a nice unit but I decided to pull the trigger on this Davis. Glad I did! I have a second console located over 300 feet away and have no problems with reception. I logged almost 5 year's worth of data until I had a catastrophic computer crash and lost it all! (Note to self...backup computer regularly.)