Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro 2
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $595
Description: Davis Vantage Pro 2
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage2.asp

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

W0VIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
One of the best units on the market.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Vantage Pro 2 running since October of 2005 with no issues. Before, I was using a Peet Brothers, which is also a nice unit but I decided to pull the trigger on this Davis. Glad I did! I have a second console located over 300 feet away and have no problems with reception. I logged almost 5 year's worth of data until I had a catastrophic computer crash and lost it all! (Note to self...backup computer regularly.)

N0YK Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used a Davis VP2 for the last 4 years at my QTH in the country. It's one of those items that you don't realize you need till you have one and then you can live without it! I can't say enough good about the customer support with Davis and the quality of their products. I had a few issues, but all were easily resolved. I run my station with WxSolutions Software which is also Top Notch and very easy to use, unlike some of the others including WeatherLinks that I found frustrating to configure. Right away I added my site to Weather Underground and let them keep a server running to maintain the data stream. I update with this station to Weather Underground every 2-3 seconds, 24x7x365. I run my station, computer and wireless internet on a UPS (battery backup), so during severe thunderstorms when we lose power briefly, I still have data updating to the internet. Ive installed (10) VP2s to date for local neighbors around the area with word of mouth advertising. Here is a link to the site I maintain that has all the WX Station reporting in: http://users.wbsnet.org/n0yk/swkswxstations.html Also here is some pictures of my installation at the house: http://users.wbsnet.org/n0yk/weatherstation.htm Recently we moved and the buyers of our house asked if wed leave the whole setup of the weather station and computer, so for a quick price adjustment we did just that. Now living in the city I just placed an order for a Davis Vantage Vue, so Im excited to see what this new station has to offer. So in summary, if youre in the market for a Weather Station, take a looks at the VP2s. It will be money well spent!
A note to anyone debating between the USB or Serial version of the data logger, go with the Serial! Ive had zero success with the USB version; the serials are 100% reliable to date.
Cheers!

ZF2RN Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2010 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Tough keeping rain gauge clean  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running this station for two plus years in pretty tough tropical weather, including two close brushes with hurricanes. LOTS of rain. Rain gauge does like to collect stuff! Definitely keep it where you can reach it. Mine has been on-line with Davis's software without a glitch. Everything works well and is accurate. I have an extra indoor panel and that is really handy.
Anemometer is mounted at 10m, main collection is just above the roofline about 2m so I can step up on the first step of tower and clean the rain collector.
Had to replace my battery once in two years. But I have the 24 hour fan in the temp/humidity sensor.
I would definitely suggest this weather station to anyone that is looking for a decent station. I gave it a 4/5 just because of the rain collector propensity to collect junk and get plugged.

K4MRR Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2010 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my wireless Vantage Pro 2 running and online for two years. It does all it's advertised to do, is reliable, yet I've had to replace the lithium batteries four times in two years with the solar panel in direct sunlight most of the daylight hours. I'm giving this unit a 4/5 because of the battery usage and also since the rain gauge occasionally reads 1/100 of an inch of rain on a sunny day... Oh well.

It's a very good system in most respects, but new owners would be wise to ensure the rain gauge is easily accessible. Don't mount it higher than you can reach. Bird feathers, insects, leaves, and other "stuff" tend to land in the rain gauge at the most inopportune times. Put it where you can clean it out in a few minutes. Mine is at 5 1/2 feet... :-).

KL7AC Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2010 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Over 3 years later...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing is still working great despite the climate. Only changes made was moving the wind bird to the top of the tower to keep an eye on my wind loading.

Maintenance is very simple, keep the rain funnel clean and the batteries strong.

K6SGH Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've put off buying a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless unit for a few years, but I finally broke down and bought one. It assembled and installed very easily and I was collecting data within a hour of putting it up.

Thus far I have only found a small level of interference with my rigs. If I place the console very near the radio (ic-7800) and hook up the usb cable, I get some hash noise on all bands. The solution is to keep the console at least a few feet away...don't put it on top of the rig.

The software that comes the Davis isn't very good so i purchased the Ambient Virtual Weather Station Internet version. It's pretty good and has some much better graphics than the Davis software. There is also a wide variety of 3rd party software available that I have yet to explore. There must be at least a dozen other programs that will work with the Davis Pro2.

All in all I am very happy I purchased the Davis unit as I believe it's probably the best value for the money. See for yourself on my website: www.k6sgh.com/wx/wx.htm . I don't run the updating program all the time so don't be surprised if the time/date might be a little aged.

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2009 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Accurate and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this station now 3 1/2 years and have had zero problems. Great service by the way, as I had the USB weatherlink and it was not performing well (drivers), and they swapped mw out no cost to the serial and had zero problems since. The comments stating they would like to be able to see weather across the room, a great program is WxSolution running on a netbook on a bookshelf or something will give you great visibility and wonderful reports you can print out, plus you can upload reports to your website, or upload data to WeatherUndergroud or CWOP, and many others. What i like about Davis is that have many options to make your station just the way you want, (i.e. you want to put your wind sensor somewhere else, they have the wireless transmitter, want soil temperature, you can add that in..., etc.). If support is important to you no other will compare. my station can be viewed at http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=english&station=KKYGEORG3

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2009 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Accurate and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months

KE5HFM Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2009 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Well built and accurate, but proprietary  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As all the other reviews have said, this weather station is reliable, accurate and virtually maintanence free. The display is clear and easy to read. Transmission distances are good.

The only issue I have is that the datalogger cable is proprietary. This doesn't exactly encuorage the tinkering that Amature radio is known for.

In order to interface with your computer (or APRS unit) you have to buy THEIR cable and some pretty cheesy software for a whopping $150 or more! If this software was state-of-the-art, it might - MIGHT - be worth the money, but it's not. the graphics are ugly, and frankly, I don't think it meets current standards for web publishable content (although you can put it out there)

If the weather station was more amature radio friendly, I'd be really happy.

LA5ZO Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2009 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Great WX station - but some noise on HF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using the station (wired version) for a few months. Very reliable and easy to use.
Have it hooked up to the PC via USB interface.
When data is transfered I get some noise on HF, especially on 80 (75) meters. Have tried ferrites but no cure. Use Weatherdisplay and Weatherdisplay Live to show WX at home QTH on the internet.

Geir/LA5ZO in Sirdal, Norway