Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro 2
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $595
Description: Davis Vantage Pro 2
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage2.asp

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

K4MRR Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2010 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my wireless Vantage Pro 2 running and online for two years. It does all it's advertised to do, is reliable, yet I've had to replace the lithium batteries four times in two years with the solar panel in direct sunlight most of the daylight hours. I'm giving this unit a 4/5 because of the battery usage and also since the rain gauge occasionally reads 1/100 of an inch of rain on a sunny day... Oh well.

It's a very good system in most respects, but new owners would be wise to ensure the rain gauge is easily accessible. Don't mount it higher than you can reach. Bird feathers, insects, leaves, and other "stuff" tend to land in the rain gauge at the most inopportune times. Put it where you can clean it out in a few minutes. Mine is at 5 1/2 feet... :-).

KL7AC Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2010 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Over 3 years later...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing is still working great despite the climate. Only changes made was moving the wind bird to the top of the tower to keep an eye on my wind loading.

Maintenance is very simple, keep the rain funnel clean and the batteries strong.

K6SGH Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've put off buying a Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless unit for a few years, but I finally broke down and bought one. It assembled and installed very easily and I was collecting data within a hour of putting it up.

Thus far I have only found a small level of interference with my rigs. If I place the console very near the radio (ic-7800) and hook up the usb cable, I get some hash noise on all bands. The solution is to keep the console at least a few feet away...don't put it on top of the rig.

The software that comes the Davis isn't very good so i purchased the Ambient Virtual Weather Station Internet version. It's pretty good and has some much better graphics than the Davis software. There is also a wide variety of 3rd party software available that I have yet to explore. There must be at least a dozen other programs that will work with the Davis Pro2.

All in all I am very happy I purchased the Davis unit as I believe it's probably the best value for the money. See for yourself on my website: www.k6sgh.com/wx/wx.htm . I don't run the updating program all the time so don't be surprised if the time/date might be a little aged.

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2009 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Accurate and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this station now 3 1/2 years and have had zero problems. Great service by the way, as I had the USB weatherlink and it was not performing well (drivers), and they swapped mw out no cost to the serial and had zero problems since. The comments stating they would like to be able to see weather across the room, a great program is WxSolution running on a netbook on a bookshelf or something will give you great visibility and wonderful reports you can print out, plus you can upload reports to your website, or upload data to WeatherUndergroud or CWOP, and many others. What i like about Davis is that have many options to make your station just the way you want, (i.e. you want to put your wind sensor somewhere else, they have the wireless transmitter, want soil temperature, you can add that in..., etc.). If support is important to you no other will compare. my station can be viewed at http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=english&station=KKYGEORG3

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2009 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Accurate and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months

KE5HFM Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2009 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Well built and accurate, but proprietary  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As all the other reviews have said, this weather station is reliable, accurate and virtually maintanence free. The display is clear and easy to read. Transmission distances are good.

The only issue I have is that the datalogger cable is proprietary. This doesn't exactly encuorage the tinkering that Amature radio is known for.

In order to interface with your computer (or APRS unit) you have to buy THEIR cable and some pretty cheesy software for a whopping $150 or more! If this software was state-of-the-art, it might - MIGHT - be worth the money, but it's not. the graphics are ugly, and frankly, I don't think it meets current standards for web publishable content (although you can put it out there)

If the weather station was more amature radio friendly, I'd be really happy.

LA5ZO Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2009 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Great WX station - but some noise on HF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using the station (wired version) for a few months. Very reliable and easy to use.
Have it hooked up to the PC via USB interface.
When data is transfered I get some noise on HF, especially on 80 (75) meters. Have tried ferrites but no cure. Use Weatherdisplay and Weatherdisplay Live to show WX at home QTH on the internet.

Geir/LA5ZO in Sirdal, Norway

MM0TFU Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2009 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my wireless VP2 since October 2006 and during that time it has proved to be accurate and reliable. I also have the Davis Datalogger and WeatherLink software, for computer data management.

The weather station equipment, known as the Integrated Sensor Suite (ISS)is located in my garden about 60 meters from the house, and transfers its data to the console via a 868 MHz wirless link. It general this link is maintained fairly well, but sometimes in summer I have to prune foliage to keep the signal path clear. I should also mention that my house has 2 foot thick walls, so I may be pushing the limits here. I have had no promblems with RF interference.

I have only had one problem with the unit, and that was a failure of the Temperature/Humidity sensor, which is located on the ISS. I contacted the UK dealer, and a replacement part was sent free of charge. It was a 2 minute job to replace it, and full instructions are available on the Davis website. This sensor is known to fail from time to time, apparently.

I use the Davis datalogger and the WeatherLink software to record my data. It works well, but it does have its limitations. Fortunately there are many other programs available which support the VP2, and many are free to private users.

I have found this product to be reliable and I have found the UK support to be top notch. I would have no difficulty in recommending the VP2 to anyone looking for a top-end amateur weather station

NQ7I Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2009 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Gear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Pro 2 from Weather Shack for $567 which included shipping. I received the unit with the necessary battaries to make it operate in 3 days as promised. The gear was easy to set up and the instructions were 1st class. I have checked the readings I am getting against the local weather station which is about 2 miles away and they are right on the mark. Probably will grow the system after I get some experience with it. Highly recommend the unit and Weather Shack.

ON4JZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2008 15:12 Send this review to a friend
A good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a wired Vantage Pro2 since January 2005.
Over the almost 4 years I've had problems with the SIM board, temp/hum sensor and console.
They all were replaced free of charge. That's what I call great support by the customer service and a good product despite the problems.
It adds a bonus to a ham radio station.
73 de Joe