Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro 2
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $595
Description: Davis Vantage Pro 2
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage2.asp

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

KD4LEI Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2008 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding system!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the wireless unit with the spread spectrum capability since April of 2007. Purchased it off Ambient Weather site for $420 (S&H included into the total).

When I assembled this unit, I found the setup to be very easy and the instructions on assembly are very straightforward. I never felt lost or stumped at any time when I put it together.

You cannot beat the 2.5 second update this system provides. Nothing else within its price range comes close to that frequency in updating of the current conditions. I think the designers were witty in adding some humor into the scrolling ticker on the bottom of the display. Watch the scrolling ticker during a heavy rainfall and it will say "It's raining cat's and dog's." A nice touch of humor in my opinion.

Overall, I loved how my system has operated over the last 1.5 years. Both in the previous winter and two springs/summers this machine has gone through. Based onmy experience with mine, it has performed without a hitch.

For the expense of this system, it's as close as you can get compared to the professional system's that run into the thousands of dollars. A $400 - $500 dollar system versus one that runs anywhere from $5 - $10K is a good value for the money you might consider in spending. Everything with the setup is fantastic and cannot find any flaws with it that I know of.

Finally I recommend periodic cleaning to remove/prevent spiders and other bugs from making their home on/in the setup. It's obviously a place little critters would be attracted to. It's just a part of the reality the sensor's are outside and so during the warmer weather it helps to conduct routine cleanup in order to keep these little guys out and ensure the system is running efficiently.

If you're looking for a weather station that performs superbly and has a good value, the Davis Vantage Pro 2 is the way to go.

W6AAV Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2008 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had other weather stations in the past and they all finally died. I decided to go with the Davis VP2 and WOW! What a great station. Easy to assemble and the quality is fantastic. If you are looking for a weather station, this is the one for you. You will not be disappointed.

KE5GZR Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2008 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Outstandng Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
The agency I work for has installed five (5) Vantage Pro 2 stations at various locations. These are very well made, accurate and durable instruments that appear to be very dependable. The WeatherLinkIP module and software is very easy to install and has worked flawlessly with our initial test station. We are exploring the possiblity of linking all of these stations together on our own agency website to provide weather data to the public. The technical service representative at Davis answered all of our questions and even sent us instructions on how to route our station data to our local network. I have been so impressed with this weather station that I am in the process of purchasing my own personal Vantage Pro 2.

Product Rating: A+
Technical Support: A+
Customer Service: A+
Value: A+

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2008 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Product/Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the wired version (Vantage Pro) for several years. Never a problem with it.
I sold it getting ready to travel in the RV full time.
We missed it and replaced it with the newer Pro 2 in the wireless version.
I have it installed on the RV for travel but we will remove while moving down the road.
Great product, very durable and great service from Davis if you have any questions.

KN4LF Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2008 15:57 Send this review to a friend
The Very Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
An outstanding weather station. Very good construction and reliablity. Excellent customer service.

K4WU Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Very dependable.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Vantage Pro 2 (wireless) for about 2 years now. I have it installed on a tripod on the upper deck of my dock on the Tennessee River in north Alabama. It transmits data to the console in my office/radio room, which is about 175' away, and does a great job. I do not have it hooked up to the internet as I just use it for my own personal information. It still has the same battery in the remote unit and has not missed a beat. The unit appears to be very accurate. The only problem is having to deal with spider webs, wasps, and willow flies.I have been very pleased with this unit and would highly recommend the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2008 14:28 Send this review to a friend
100%  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the wired version.

Good Quality.

No issues.

Also have the software but it is not installed yet.

Mike, VE4MM

N1ZLE Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2008 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Near Pefect  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far the Davis VP II has survived two moves, and everything mother nature has been able to dish out for the last four years. Still on the original lithium battery in the sensor suite. My only recommendation is to install it in an accessible location, as the rain collector needs occasional debris removal to maintain accuracy. I use mine to supply data for my internet wx station. www.westhillweather.com
To really bring out the best in this unit, I use Virtual Weather Station, from Ambient weather
N1ZLE

SV8RX Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2008 07:15 Send this review to a friend
At last a ham weather station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a DAVIS Vantage PRO2 wireless. All sensors are integrated to one unit and transmit data to console in a very efficient way. (First and only weather station in its class to use frequency hopping spread spectrum radio technology to transmit weather data wirelessly up to 1000' (300 m)).
I installed the ISS (Integrated Sensor Suite) up to my terrace just under my HF antennas. Fortunately the whole system turned out to be RF proof, an issue that my old Monitor II suffered a lot. The isolation between sensors and console protects the later from static that under bad weather conditions make provoke severe damage. But a weather station without a data logger and proper monitoring software it is absolutely useless. DAVIS has made great job on this part too. Data logger keeps data for 50 days if you choose one record every 30 min (there are many options upon this interval). WeatherLink, as they call the provided software, it does very well its job and can convert the older data bases to the new format. APRS publishing of weather data possible. This weather station is a really mature product and quite compatible with HAM environments.

K4MRR Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2007 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Oregon Scientific WMR-968 which has served me well for a year with no problems, but wanted to upgrade to a more accurate personal weather station. I've had the wireless Vantage Pro2 for a month and can easily note that I have better accuracy than I had with the WMR-968. The Vantage Pro2 is simply a better personal weather station than the WMR-968.

One issue that has not been a factor, but does concern me, is that with the WMR-968, I'm dealing with three remote solar-powered electronic modules which don't look very sturdy. If one of the three stops working, I've lost either my rain, outside temp/humidity, or wind monitor which would really hurt the system's usefulness. I'm dealing with just one similar module with the Vantage Pro2, and it looks much more sturdy.

Although I think it's overpriced, I bought the USB Weatherlink set-up and it works just fine.