Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil PR 780 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PR 780 Microphone
Heil PR 780 Microphone Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $N/A
Description: Dynamic microphone designed for the IC 7800
More info: http://Heil Sound LTD

You can write your own review of the Heil PR 780 Microphone.

AH6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 21:56 Send this review to a friend
A Standout  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Heil 780 for about four years on a number of radios including the Kenwood 590s and Yaesu 2000. Its response is so flat as to be without personality. Used directly into the radio this mic is clean with none of the typical bright, brash or deep exaggerations of Ham / vocal mics on the lower end of the audio market.

Feed the 780 into an equalizer and preamp and you have a whole new world of transmit audio options. The possibilities range from studio-quality to piercing pile-up breakers -- all clear (even if limited in frequency response). Because the mic is so flat and clean the ALC will take a lot of overdrive without distorting.

Both the FT2000 and the TS590 have software defined input audio -- a three band parametric equalizer on the Yaesu -- an 18 band graphic equalizer on the Kenwood using a download from the Kenwood website. Both radios sound whatever you want them to... good or bad -- so be ready to spend some time getting it to sound the way you want to work. Multiple solutions are another benefit.

Other great sounding microphones I have used include the Heil GM4, GM5, PR20 and PR30 as well as Audio Technica 2020 and ATR30. They are all good mics -- and they each have a personality. Modifying their audio is a different story which could mean adjusting the equalizer to eliminate that personality -- which begs the question why would you do it.

If you want to shape your audio, this is a great place to start -- with the Heil 780 or 781 (the 780 was an early version of the 781).

N3NEP Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2009 08:08 Send this review to a friend
thumbs up  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the Icom SM-20 the Heil PR20, GM5 and now the Heil PR780. I have used the PR780 with out an eq and I get great reports all the time. My rig is a 756 PRO II and I only use the settings in the radio to adjust the audio output. I have it mounted on the Heil PL2T boom and I use the SM2b shock mount with a Heil HS2 handswitch. I really like how it performs and the reports I get back.

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2008 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
The PR-780 is a special addaption of the PR-40 pro mike and ptt stand . It is very good but mounting,room acoustics do play apart of the quality as with most microphones and the shock mount on the boom can help also. Compairing it to the PR-781 I can say you get what you pay for, but for DX RE-tuning can turn it into a Microphone that gets many Rave reviews on the air with out asking! Hint...remember the kenwood MC-50 mike and the toilet paper tube ,well use clear mylar on the outside and tune it as you would a pipe for a Organ. small changes make a big difference. 73 & GL & DX

WA2AR Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2008 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Truly a Great Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned EV-RE27, Yaesu MD-1, Yaesu MD-100, Kenwood MC-60 this one is the best. There is no equal I have tried for Amateur use. Clean, full sound with a look I like much better than the rather puny 781 that replaced it. If you can find one get it. You will be impressed.

LA9AKA Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2007 00:35 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very satisfied with this microphone. I get reports all the time that my audio sounds great with my PR780/IC7800 setup. Emails to Heil are always answered within hours, so they provide excellent customer service also.

KC5CQD Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2007 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic.!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must admit that I was a little disappointed when I first hooked this mic up to my 756 Pro III. I was honestly expecting to sound like a professional broadcast station after its installation. Well, let me tell you up front, that isn't going to happen with the purchase of a microphone. Professional broadcasters run tons more equipment between the mic and transmitter in order to get "that sound".

The first thing I noticed was that the mic didn't have the "punchy" sound that I'm accustomed to hearing. This mic is quite smooth and a bit on the soft-sounding side. I've always used stock or other after-market CHEAP mics and they're all pretty punchy. Punchy to the point of distortion, that is! But after playing around with the Pro III's audio settings...takes some patience...I found a nice combination of settings to match my voice for the sound that I want.

It's a great mic with smooth characteristics and looks as though it was made to match the Icom Pro series of radios. If you have an Icom elite transceiver, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

W2DIP Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic for the Icom 746 PRO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It started with the GM4. I am restricted to indoor antennas (well at least to nothing that can be seen). To cope I make sure that everything else in my setup is optimized. To this end I bought the GM 4 with its DX Dream Machine mic element. I find that it does help me be heard through pile ups and have received comments to that effect.

OK, back to the PR 780. While I love the GM4, it does not sound like me while ragchewing. Too much upper frequency (good for DX) energy for my voice. I wanted something that would make me sound natural. I talked to Chip at Heil (I was very surprised how accessable he was) and he recommended the PR 780. I was leaning towards the PR 40 as I wanted the best. Chip explained how the extra range of the PR 40 would not be needed for Ham Radio use so I went with his suggestion to buy the less expensive, but more appropriate micophone for my Icom 746 Pro. I am not used to being told to spend less from a VP of Sales but what the heck, I was bound to run into an ethical salesman sooner or later. :)

After a few days I finally got a chance to play with my tx settings and used the recording features of my Icom 7000 to listen to my on air sound, both for SSB and FM. I found that the microphone sounded very good without moving any tone or compression settings from the zero position. I did move the TX bass to +1 and put compression on +2 for a slight increase of bass. What I heard when I played back my recordings is, well, ME! It sounded like me, warts and all.

I was thinking of getting an expensive EQ box or multiband equalizer but after hearing myself on this mic I just knew that I did not need them. They would add very little in relation to their cost. I sound pretty darn good direct into the rig thank you.

This mic was to be the first item in a long chain of audio equipment but after hearing myself I found that I have no need for further sound enhancement. I sound loud and natural so this mic ended up being less costly than I originally thought as it saved me about $800 in additional sound enhancing equipment.

VK6ARA Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2007 23:51 Send this review to a friend
A Super Microphone!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the PR780 on my IC756PRO2 for around 6 months. Audio reports have been fantastic.

I do use the compression on the PRO2 to bring up the audio level as a dynamic element such has this has less output than the original electret microphones.

Wide Setting, compression on and mic and compression at 12 o'clock are my settings for warm rich rag chew audio. For DXing I use the MID setting with the compression up to 3 o'clock for nice crisp punchy audio. The rigs internal EQ is set for Treble +5 and Bass +1.

Without external processing I think this microphone is very hard to beat! Its a heavy quality mic which looks fantastic on the desk infront of the rig.

WB9JOX Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2007 12:10 Send this review to a friend
excellant mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the pro 780 with my Icom 7800 and pro2 and no complaints with either rig regarding audio.So maybe something not set up correctly? Been using the 780 for almost 3 years now.Mr Heil keep up the good work. Tnx for reading. I always enjoy this site.

N6NKN Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2007 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Needs a Little more Umph.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the 780 for use with my new Pro III.
Found the output a little low to drive the transceiver to full output, and to effectivly actuate the Vox. Bought the W2IHY two band EQ/Noise Gate, and the mic preamp now gives an increased input to the Pro III. Audio reports are excellent, and I am very satisfied. But I would not recommend it without a mic preamp.