Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro Set Quiet Phone IC Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro Set Quiet Phone IC
Heil Pro Set Quiet Phone IC Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $242.00
Description: Sound cancelling headset with mic. Icom model
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/pro_set_quiet_phone.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro Set Quiet Phone IC.

KI4GSJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2009 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Could have been so much better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used it just about every day for the last few years. Had to send it back once because the cord pulled loose. As others have said, "Too Short." They got it back to me in record time with what looked like a more substantial cord. It too had some problems at the switch. Bare wires exposed. I just used liquid tape on that area and haven't had a problem since. I sometimes get RF when on 6 meters but I think I have that fixed. Not sure it was worth what I paid but all in all has worked great since the repairs. Gave it a 4 because of the weak cables and design problems. If you send them back, Heil will fix them.

K2YWE Rating: 1/5 Nov 16, 2009 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Review is for QPP - Quiet Phone Plus  Time owned: months
My prior review was mis-categorized.
Meant to be on the Quiet Phone Plus - NLA

K2YWE Rating: 1/5 Nov 16, 2009 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality and Design  Time owned: months
First one has to be returned because it oscillated. Bob Heil said he never heard of any such problems, but I saw others with the same and other quality problems.
Cord to the heavy separate amp unit is much too short - Bob Heil said couldn't be made longer due to RF problems, but saw no problems with it (listen to your customers, Bob).
Taken off Market quickly without a fuss.
Now after two years of relatively light use the on/off switch has failed.
I notice there's a new design out now. Doubt I'll buy from Heil again - Manufacturer needs to own their mistakes.
Plenty of excellent headphone NC choices out there. Easy enough to add a boom mic.

AH6FC Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2008 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a headset / microphone combination to use during contests and other times when I wanted use of both hands. Though the reviews are mixed, I've been happy with other Heil products, specifically the PR 40 boom microphone...nice product.

I purchased the Pro Set. Though I've used it only a couple of weeks, here's my review. Generally good. Well built and designed. The microphone (HC 4 ) works well, easily modulates my ICOM 756 PIII. The audio quality in the headset is good, about the same as my Sony MDR-756. The noise reducing feature is slick and does a good job of reducing noise fatigue that comes with hours of headset use.

The down sides are 1) short cable, but not a big deal, and 2) some discomfort with prolonged use. Certainly somewhat subjective, but the Sony unit is more comfortable.

N2RJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2008 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good, but not without its faults  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using mine for over two months now, after trying out my friend Peter's (W2IRT) pair.

I have mostly the same complaints that he has in his review.

IMO, Heil should have just had ONE cable from transceiver to adapter. The three thin wire thing just isn't cutting it. Why not make it the same as the Heil traveler? That one really escapes me. What's worse is the adapter for Icom with the three separate wires are different lengths - making it easy to tangle and also pull/stretch the headphone audio cord.

The noise cancelling circuitry should have been in the headset like my other set of noise cancelling phones (Jabra C820s) or other brands like Sennheiser or Bose. The pendant on the cord is too heavy and stretches the cord.

There should also have been auto power off or power via the rig. This thing will eat your batteries in a few days and it is easy to leave them on by mistake.

Apart from these major, mostly ergonomic issues, the headset works great.

Noise cancelling cuts out a lot of ambient noise - amplifier fan, power supply etc. I have the model with the HC-5 element and have nothing but great reports on the audio.

The headphones are comfortable and good for extended operating.

The PTT button I don't mind at all, but it should have been a squeeze on the side, but eventually I will get a foot switch to use while DXing/contesting.

Bob - if you're reading this, please improve these issues. You have a winner here, but these minor things really spoil what is otherwise a great product.

W2IRT Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2006 21:58 Send this review to a friend
So near and yet so far...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Good: As mentioned by others, Active Noise Reduction (ANR) is now something I would never consider being without. The difference is unbelievable, plain and simple. TX audio is also exceptionally good with the HC-5 element. No quibbles on either front, and well worth the money.

The bad: Durability and ergonomic issues really hold this beauty back. Here are some of the items that have vexed me since the first day I got it.

1) Cord length: FAR too short, especially between the headset and the control box. What happens is that when you're wearing the headphones, the box can drop and stress the cable. I just lost RX audio as a result of this recently -- meaning a $59 repair to a $185 headset.

2) The mic can only be used on the left side. this is a particularly bad decision since, for the majority of right-handed operators, their radio is usually on the right side, which means cable management becomes a gigantic problem.

3) Everything's sealed, so changing out a cable is not something an end-user can do. Plug-in replacements would be wonderful.

4) Unit should automatically power-down after a couple of hours to save the batteries, or have the option of drawing power from the radio if so provided.

5) Lose the darned PTT function. The button is unusable and it just adds to the cable weight.

6) Put a 1/8" mini-plug on the RX audio end instead of a 1/4" behemoth, so it can be used easily on consumer devices without adapters. I'd rather plug an adapter into my Mark V and be able to use it stock with my MP3 player on an airplane, etc.

Frankly, if Bob had decided to add ANR to the Proset Plus it would have been a much better decision. The Plus is an excellent headset.

That said, though, I'd pay almost anything for a professional-quality heavy-duty ANR headset with an HC-5 element in it. I'm talking ergonomically engineered to perfection, no corners cut and built like a brick -- house. For heaven's sake, guys are lining up to buy $10,000 rigs and $8,000 amps -- why not make a headset that's properly designed for ultra-heavy-duty use?

W2BHK Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2005 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Great headset execpt!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of the first units out in Dayton last year. I use it on my IC-745. (I have a Pro-Set Plus for my IC-746Pro). The only complaint I have is, that the cable is too dam short. I wish they would lengthen the cord and provide a clip of some kind to clip to my shirt or belt since I use Vox or operate CW.
My expericence dealing with Heil has been nothing short of the best. When I had question Bob personnally answered them either by e-mail or by phone. I am sold on his products.

N8XD Rating: 3/5 Jan 26, 2005 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great sound, needs refinement.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Heil active noise reduction headset works very nicely. It does a fine job at reducing noise and I get great reports for the microphone system.

Now for the bad news...

The headset runs on a couple batteries, and has a small electronics case half way down the cord. This is very clumsy, though it was probably a trade off between making the headset lighter.

The batteries will wear down in a day if you forget to turn off the power to the headphones. There is no option to get the power from the radio mike jack or other source.

The Heil microphone / headset adaptor for my Yaesu 897 required a grommet around the mike jack. The modular connector is loose (it doesn't have the short boot on it like the Yaesu mike's do) and when it wiggles the radio connector shorts and starts scanning. When the headset is plugged into the adaptor, the mike and headphone cables aren't at equal length so the cables look cluttered

The mike does not rotate freely to the other side, so you can only wear the headset with the mike and cable on the left. Unfortunately my radio sits on the right side of me in the shack...so the cord and the mid-cord electronics module cuts across in front of me. (more of a problem when I'm running CW)

All in all not bad for a new style mike & headphones, I'm sure as the product matures it will become just as refined as their other famous products.

MM0PMW Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2004 02:54 Send this review to a friend
I LIKE IT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Previous reviewer must have been unlucky.
My Heil Pro Set Quite Phone works just great.
With my IC 756 ProII, no complaints from me.
Matt MM0PMW.

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2004 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Works ok. Keep spare batteries handy.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
PTT button is a bit stiff. Ear pieces don't cover the ear but press against them. Uses 2 AA cells. Easy to forget to turn power off and discharge batteries overnight. Of course this is the user's fault but it happens a lot!
Worked great with IC-756PROII. Ordered TenTec adapter and it doesn't work. I Dug through Heil's web site and found a schematic for using these with TT rigs, wired it up and still doesn't work right. Pressing PTT kills mic. Vox works ok. They need to provide information about how to use this with other brands.
Blocks out fan noise quiet well. Still can hear people talk if they are close by. Audio quality is excellent in headphones. Got good reports on transmit quality.
Phase reverse switch is cool and provides a welcome relief after listening a while.
Personally I don't think the noise canceling feature is much better than a good pair of headphones designed for the race track/scanner bunch but they don't have a mic attached. I have not compared these to other sound canceling headphones so I don't know what a pair of Bose phones would sound like. I would like them to cover the entire ear and put pressure on them. This is tiring after an hour or so.
Just be sure to keep a good stock of batteries handy.