Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | AOR AR5000 Help

Reviews Summary for AOR AR5000
AOR  AR5000 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Used - 1000.00
Description: 50KHz to 3GHz (depending on model) scanning receiver.
More info: http://www.aoruk.com/ar5000.htm

You can write your own review of the AOR AR5000.

NI6S Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Hands-down, AWESOME!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the AR-5000A+3, loaded with Collins filters, the descrambler, and the NTSC Video converter. Of course, the video converter is only good these days for local, unencrypted surveillance video. I have this fed through an active multicoupler, so I am able to compare with other HF receivers. I find that, compared to the Drake R8B, JRC NRD-535D and JRC NRD-545, the AOR has the best signal recovery. It's also a huge bonus to have coverage up to 3 GHz. I have the matching SDU-5600, which I am still learning. Bottom line is that the AOR is small, self-contained and very capable. Yes, the VFO knob is small but this receiver highly mobile! Really glad I have finally gotten the chance to compare this with other high-end receivers. It truly holds its own!

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2008 06:14 Send this review to a friend
A Superb Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
What More can I say.
The 5000 is the best receiver I have ever owned
I have used other base station scanners
but this one is in a class of it own.
Great coverage 50Khz to 3Ghz
Great Audio
you can set any step or mode for any frequency
If you are serious about your radios
Then this is worth every penny

N4AEQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2007 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Super receiver but PHD would help  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a ham i like to receive more than transmitt, also i like to receive everything out there and the 5000+3 has came closer than anything else I have found. The audio has to be the best out there, selectivity has to be the best also.
I would reccommend a SDU & digital decoder as options, I have a sdu5500 and would never do without one. The 5000 has endless features, but
youll need a PHD to master them all and be willing to spend a bunch (1k & up) even on the used market.

VK1ZIP Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2004 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Great bit of gear, but  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The AR5000 is without a doubt one of best scanners available today. Sensitivity, selectivity is excellent and overall performance is almost at IC-R9000 level, which is saying something! However there are a several aspects of this receiver that I did not like.

1. The tuning dial is too small and cumbersome.
2. Menu system is not easy to navigate
3. The front end is not bulletproof as others have eluded to.
Both IMD and BDR is below par for a receiver of this calibre.
4. Audio quality is not so good, I found it tiring to listen to for long periods.
5. Buttons and controls too small.

Overall I believe this receiver could have been so much better if the unit had a larger front panel, this would have provided the designers with the means to incorporate larger controls knobs and buttons. The ergonomics of the AR5000 need a lot of getting used to, if operated via PC the ergonomics will not be an issue. I would recommend that any potential purchasers seriously assess whether they are willing to operate the AR5000 via PC, if not then you MAY, like me, find the AR5000 a tad annoying to operate. However egonomics and IMD/BDR problems aside the AR5000 would rate as a close second (technical specs wise) to the almighty IC-R9000.

Ergonomically the AR5000 is one of the worst receivers I have ever owned.

VK7ZJA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2004 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Pay hommage to the GOD of scanners!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This receiver is to be treated with pure reverence!
For years, I had wanted a do-it-all base station receiver/scanner, and purchased a AOR 3000. I was pretty happy with it. Not perfectly happy, but very content.
Then the AR5000 came along, and I sold the 3000, and got the 5000. The 3000 is a quantum leap ahead of most other base station scanners, well, the 5000 is another quantum leap ahead of the 3000. It is one serious piece of equipment!
When I first got it, I was using it with a good HF antenna for shortwave & utility listening and it was brilliant. Very sensitive, very selective, and easy to tune.
For VHF & above, I had a discone at 12 metres up being fed by LDF4-50 heliax cable. Again, performance is genuinely flawless. NO interference at all, even with rock-crushing signals on the adjacent channel, very good sensitivity, brilliant selectivity.
Example: in our 7MHz wide VHF TV broadcast at 200 or so MHz, blasting out about 250kW ERP line-of-sight, 20km from my shack, I could hear a 10mW wireless mike that was jammed between the video & audio carrier, and that mike was 5km distant!
Another: I could hear (just!) a microwave link that is on the same mountain as the TV transmitter at 1.5GHz - and the thing is pointed away from me!
Another: A VHF taxi data transmitter 5km distant, blasting out 300 watts ERP, and if on the narrow setting, I don't even know it's there by 25kHz away from it's frequency.
And yet another: a friend has a NRD535D and a AR5000. He says that if it wasn't for the DSP on the JRC NRD535D, the two would be the equal of one another on HF, and he is using the standard IF filters like I am. You can refit Collins mechanical filters to the unit for even better selectivity performance - which apparently makes quite an improvement. I must say, where I am, I don't think I'd need it.
This thing is quite complex to drive, and the manual does an excellent job of describing the operation of the unit.
The audio quality is great, even from the internal speaker. The audio quality can be tailored to your taste with several settings.
In fact, all manner of settings can be tinkered with from the front panel. Even more can be played with by using a PC and fiddling with the unit's EEPROM settings.
The 5000 can be fitted with a CTCSS board (which I don't have) and a audio-inversion de-scrambler board - but save your money on the descrambler - it only has 8 discrete settings, and a PC sound card based software descrambler works better.
The 5000 plus model has AFC, Noise blanker & sync-AM reception - I don't have these. It's so brilliant without them.
The thing has front end bandpass filters that are switched in & out with relays, so if you scan between VHF & UHF, you will get a relay click. This can drive you nuts, and there's no cure for it. But you are assured of the absolute highest performance possible by this arrangement, and I am happy to accept this aspect.
As an example, I now live 500 metres from a VHF paging base station, probably something in the order of 500 watts ERP. I get only the slightest bleedover from that transmitter. Heck, my handhelds on their own antenna even when inside my house, desense and go crazy when that transmitter fires up, yet heres the AR5000 with external wideband antenna and very low loss coax, and it hardly gets upset at all.
The frequency stability when new is brilliant - I measured (indicated) less than 10hz drift listening to WWV for two hours.
Now that my unit is some 5 years old, that's more like 100hz drift over two hours. Still not bad.
PC interface with several software packages available.
True S-meter that seems pretty good & accurate.
I could go on and on about it, but suffice to say, this thing is the BEST do-it-all scanner receiver for VHF & UHF, and its pretty darn good on HF too. The nearest direct competition, the Icom 8500, concentrates more on HF, with bonus VHF & UHF reception.
The 5000 is more aligned to VHF & UHF, but the HF will definitely not disappoint!
Definitely would have to class this as semi-professional. In fact, change that to professional - I know of at least two government agencies that use these things in a full time operational capacity.
They really are that good.

VE3BEE Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
First radio I have ever bought brand new. Fantastic receiver. Great sensitiviy way down too the graveyard frequencys. Makes INMARSAT listening a breeze. Nexit project is to do some 2.4ghz video snooping. The analog descrambler works great, makes listening too the bootleg fishing boats on 31.mhz when the skip is in a joy.
All in all a great receiver, will never part with mine.

G1HBE Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2004 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Incredible  Time owned: more than 12 months
And now for a review in English.I've owned this receiver for a few years now, after a few others including an old SX200, a Yaesu 9600 and an Icom 7000. This is the best of all. I am constantly amazed by its accuracy and stability - it can be used as a piece of test equipment. In conjunction with my active loop antenna, it works extemely well from 50 Khz (Rugby MSF on 60 KHz roars in!) to 30 MHz, and beyond this it works beautifully on home-made dipoles and beams. It never suffers from the horrible breakthrough and spurii that I've suffered with other wide-range RX's. I don't think I'd ever willingly get rid of this receiver!

STEVE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2002 19:10 Send this review to a friend
to good for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
great radio well i got lost this baby belongs on a rocket ship yes it a great scanner a great hf rx a all round good egg.like i said to good for me i did,nt use half the stuff it could do,but hey i can tell ever-one i had one but i wont tell them i could,nt use it.if you a real clever guy or doll you.ll just love it the crem du lll crem.fantasic radio but did to much to quick & far to well for me.AOR are the best i know.