Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ICOM IC-R100 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-R100
ICOM  IC-R100 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Wide Band Mobile Communications Receiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/receivers/ic-r100.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-R100.

W0LVJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2013 13:39 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this unit used, and abused, but hooked it up to use for a 75m AM net, shortwave listening, and to monitor the STL for a station I do work for. I give it two thumbs up for very good performance. I have used it for amateur, shortwave, fm, etc., and it has always done a great job. It even has video output as well.
The downside was the abuse it took, and the buttons would decide when they would work. Not the rig's fault.
This became my favorite "go to radio" but alas, it is showing its age. I suspect the audio section has gone away, as levels change, oscillations come and go. The front end is still rock solid. I am now in a quest to find a replacement for a grand little radio. R.I.P. old friend.

G8KHS Rating: 2/5 Mar 22, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Spurious  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these on loan for a while and was quite disappointed with the number of internally generated spurii in 2 meters and other bands. Even though the R100 was an attractive package I recommend the larger ICR7000 as a better buy than this receiver. I really wanted to like the R100 but in the end it gets the thumbs down.

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2009 08:24 Send this review to a friend
A lot of receiver for the price. Exceeded my expectations.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought an R-100 second-hand from R&L Electronics -- $295. Man, this IC-R100 is far better than I expected it would be. I'm a previous owner of several Yaesu, Icom & AOR widebands, as well as numerous consumer scanners (e.g. Radio Shack, Uniden and Bearcat).

This little rig receives Airband than my beloved AR-2002 -- I honestly didn't think that could be possible! Actually, VHF/UHF reception is unparalleled overall; last night I listened to 4 Divisions of State Police. Basically I covered the whole state loud & clear. (With most comm.receivers/scanners only my local SPD Division will come in strong). And I received strongly almost every NOAA station in the Mid-Atlantic region.

On shortwave the R100 is better than I thought it would be also, and it isn't bad on MW. For the SW & MW sections I used an MFJ-956 preselector. This really perked up MW reception. I could get Radio Rebelde in Cuba (570 kHz) with no problem. Do yourself a favor and put an MFJ-956 to the 0.5-50 antenna jack. It ain't difficult to do that.

No, AM sound quality isn't fantastic < 30 Mhz. Down here its audio is on the level of those pocket-sized Kaito portables (the Kaitos that everyone raves about). On Airband, though, the AM-mode sound is just fine -- better than the muffled fidelity that Uniden scanners give them.

But yes, the volume & squelch knobs have a cheap Radio Shack-ish feel to them. But they work just fine. And no, the R100 does not scan at the speed of light -- But I've had much slower scanners than this! It scans fast enough for limited ranges (e.g. 462 - 463 MHz using 12.5 kHz steps).

Bottom line: For $200-$400 price range the R-100 is a whole lot of receiver. Far better than I was expecting, and far better than some reviews give it credit for. Its reception on VHF/UHF is unparalleled.

VE3SUB Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2008 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The ICOM IC-R100 is an older communications receiver 1990. It is a very compact unit 5.9(W)x2.0(H)x7.1(D)inches. The same size as a car stereo. 13.8 Volts too. Excellent receiver for 29-1856 MHz mode. OK for 0.100-28.995 MHz. Modes AM/FM/WFM. Slow scan speed, lack of memory 100 Channels, 10 programmable limit scans, and 3 antenna connectors. 2 N-type and 1 SO-239. I use it at the cottage. It is one of the better receivers of the past.

AF4KK Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2002 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Good all-around rx'er!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Icom R-100 (the original, not the computer-based) since 1992 and I've enjoyed it very much. The bandwidith is a bit wide but for general SW listening, it works quite well. It really sinces above 50 mHz or so. While it's not tremendously fast in the scanning department, it seems quite sensitive hearing signals some of my other radios miss. I also enoy using it to recieve beacons below 1 mHz.

N1RSR Rating: 3/5 Apr 30, 2002 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Okay, but not worth the money unless you have specific uses....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is for the R-100, the original one, not the new PCR-100.

I acquired an unblocked R100 some time ago and played with the unit from time to time, and here
are some observations....

First of all, -forget- about using this unit
as anything to replace a scanner; as it has
a few shortcomings in this department. First of all is the clacking of the relays when the radio switches from one band to another; sure you could run it like this, but it gets annoying very fast, and it cant possibly be any good for the relays
themselves. Also scan modes are difficult to
understand, and quite frankly, it's slow.

As far as reciever performance is concerned, I'd say its close to worthless below 29 mhz, because
the AM reception is subpar; doesn't sound very
good in AM mode. FM is good through the upper
end of the freq range. I noticed the radio had especially good RX in 800-950 mhz area, so if what you're interested in is up there, this might
be the rig for you; but for general ham or
scanner enthusiast use, I'd leave it alone
in favor of something else.

On the upside of this radio, however, I did notice it had good intermod immunity and high
sensitivity above 30 mhz, so if you need to "sandbag" on one frequency, or a group of frequencies close together, this might just
be the radio for you. It's good for that but
not versatile for doing much more than that; and with the funny sounding AM, it's debateable as to wether you would want to use it to listen to
aircraft comms.

W1BKZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2001 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it is!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a pre-'94 R-100 (not cell-blocked, for what that is worth!!), and from 50 MHz up it is a slick receiver. It works on HF but nothing to write home about. If it could receive CW/SSB, this would be a definite plus. Overall, it does exactly what I want, with a high degree of reliability.

N3BXZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2001 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Its OK, but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice utility scanner. The Wide FM mode lets you receive WX Sats. Don't exspect to receive much below 118 MHZ, except for local am and FM radio stations. Don't waste your time with the included longwire

Better software would make this a fun little radio. If I had it to do over again I'd get a PCR-1000. SSB and CW modes would be nice to have.