Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BC246T Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC246T
Uniden BC246T Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $250
Description: New for 2004, compact-sized, TrunkTracker III, 2 AA operation, CloseCall RF Capture
More info: http://www.uniden.com

You can write your own review of the Uniden BC246T.

KC2JFS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2008 05:07 Send this review to a friend
OOBE GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
OOBE (out of box experience). These reviewers are getting squirrelly. Did he just visit a "hooker" and have a bad OOBE. I have the BC246T and actually read what it came with. Sure enough when I opened the box everything they said that would come with the scanner was there. The programming is easy and if you can read a book without skipping chapters the manual brings it all together in the end. This is probably one of the more "tricked-out" portables you can own that isn't digital. If you really would like the ultimate experience....team this radio up with the Butel software and just highlight what frequencies you want and let it import them for you. Oh by the way, if you don't read what comes with the radio, you may want to get the optional USB cable if your computer doesn't have any serial ports. That of course is an extra charge but, the CHOICE is yours.

N1OU Rating: 2/5 Jul 2, 2008 11:43 Send this review to a friend
OOBE Not So Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this scanner for "fun" listening after reading many of the good reviews here. However, two days after getting the scanner I'm still not scanning much. Here's why:

OOBE (Out Of The Box Experience):

Everything was in the box but two things immediately crashed my enjoyment

1. The manual is thorough but very disorganized. To use its instructions you jump around among various pages. No step-by-step instructions are provided, only function by function. Also, there is little useful in the way of "basics" about setup. After a thorough manual read and research on the Internet I finally grasped the setup hierarchy and purpose -- this took several hours. Why not one short paragraph to explain the System/Group/Channel structure and use? Nothing in the manual addresses this.

2. The programming cord is for a serial port. I have three computers, all too new to have this old technology. Programming (there appear to be a lot of good Uniden-supporting scanner programming solutions) will have to wait until I get the optional (thirty bucks plus postage) USB cord.

I'm expecting the same quality of reception and use others have achieved. However, I think the folks at Uniden need to do a better job of preparing their manual and including the correct accessories.

While I'm waiting for my USB cord, I can use the pre-programmed stuff (not applicable to my geographic area but a few channels will scan) and I can slug my way through manually programming a few local frequencies -- lots of menu bouncing, button pushing and knob twising.

My rating is "2" because the OOBE is really a zero but I'm optimistic that I'll get it working in a week or so.

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2008 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Classic Bearcat Quality in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"Excellent sensitivity" is beginning to sound too cliche; almost every radio review says this. Even reviews of radios that are clearly junk say that. So I'll say it another way:

I purchased this tiny lil' BC246T the other day, only so I could have a battery-operated scanner during (recently all too frequent) power outages here at home. Well...I pick-up police transmissions from a county 110 miles away (!) on VHF High. Not just a special 'skip moment' -- but all day & all night. I was not able to to receive this on my (much pricier) BCD-996T. But enough about sensitivity...

I find the sound quality to be highly pleasing also -- very clear & crisp. Ok, not quite as bassy as desktop Bearcats, but not nearly as cheap-sounding as Realistic desktop scanners. The clarity is indeed excellent.

I realize some folks find manual-programming to be dreadful, but, I didn't see it that way at all. If you're reading my review and you've programmed any scanner in the last couple years, then you've got enough experience to program the BC246T -- by hand -- in a matter of 20 minutes. It isn't nightmarish at all. If a dummy like me can do it in 20 minutes, anybody can.

In summary, the BC246T far exceeded my original expectations. This is a tiny, ultra-light and mostly plastic handheld scanner. I thought it was going to be an emergency backup. But it is already so much more.

KC9IMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 11:26 Send this review to a friend
First Scanner in a long time, last scanner for a while!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pretty much everything around Chicago that I would want to listen to is still analog, but most of the departments around here are on trunking systems... So I spent some Santa money and bought the 246T. I'm very impressed with it.

I was unaware that it came with rechargeable batteries, so that was a pleasant surprise! I took the recommendation of others and bought the programming software... I'm glad I did. It would be a nightmare programming this thing by hand. Instead, the software, with a subscription to radioreference.com made programming around 900 channels take about 5 minutes.

I'm very impressed with the receive as well - even on the duck. Occasionally, I hook it up to my X200A so I can hear a bit more. It's fun hearing all of the systems around here that are now trunking systems.

Other fun features...

- Pre-programmed "quick searches" for ham bands, air, marine, public service, CB, FRS/GMRS, railroad, etc.

- Close call feature to find strong frequencies near by.

- WX receive / alert.

The only knick I could possibly give this scanner is the inability to directly enter a frequency using the keypad. But honestly, with as fast as it scans and all these other features, it still gets a 5/5 for me!

W4DXL Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2008 22:57 Send this review to a friend
A lot of radio in a small package!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This scanner is everything people say it is. Small radio, small price and a big performer!

Unlike some of the previous Uniden scanners this one comes with 2 rechargable AA batteries instead of a battery pack which is great if you are in a place where you can't recharge. My only complaint is like most modern radios the batteries don't last long. I wish someone would make a little bit bigger radio with C cells.

Audio is loud and clear for such a small scanner and the dynamic trunk tracking memory allows you to set up the scanner the way YOU want to. The Butel software makes programming and even monitoring easy. The software even has a log with hit counter to show where the action is.

Uniden has packed a lot of technology into a small and handy package. I just hope my city doesn't go digital for a very long time. I have forgotten how primitive my scanning was before I bought this radio.

Prior to the 246T I have owned several Radio Shack scanners and they worked fine. In fact the Pro 91 may have been made by Uniden for Radio Shack. The 246T though has it all, features, performance and a very reasonable price!

KC2IYK Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2006 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Mostly Pleased  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Must have got used to the construction quality of my Icom R3- the 246 feels a bit chintzy as far as the plastic case goes. But- performance? Excellent. Very big ears on this unit. I did get the "freq counter" hidden feature to actually work, FYI. It may be just me, but I can't imagine trying to program this thing without the Butel software. I do think that a cheap vinyl case should be incuded in the cost, would be a nice touch.

KC9AXZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2005 16:45 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is probably the best scanner I ever bought! The dynamic memory is just outstanding. The price wasn't that bad either. I've spent more money on scanners of lesser quality. If you don't need APCO25 capable scanner, this is the one you need.

Jon KC9AXZ
www.kc9axz.com

BIRDMAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2005 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Great little scanner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent form factor, good ears, great features and if you pick up the ARC246 BuTel software it makes everything sing even better. Nice piece of equipment for $200 new.

WT3844 Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2005 19:53 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE RECEIVER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WELL I HAVE HAD MY 246T FOR FIVE HOURS NOW AND IT IS A GREAT LITTLE PERFORMER.UPDATED FIRMWARE THAT WAS RELEASED YESTERDAY FROM UNIDEN.I DO NOT FEEL THAT PROGRAMMING WAS BAD AT ALL,HOWEVER I ONLY PROGRAMMED CONVENTIONAL SYSTEM WITH THREE GROUPS CONSISTING OF ABOUT 150 CHANNELS.I DID THIS MANUALLY.NO TRUNKING HERE WHERE I LIVE YET.IF YOU DONT NEED DIGITAL THEN THIS IS A GREAT LITTLE UNIT.NEW FIRMWARE ADDS A LOT OF LITTLT XTRAS TO THE UNIT SUCH AS DISPLAYING CTCSS TONE FOR THAT PARTICULAR FREQUENCY WHEN CHANNEL IS ACTIVE.WELL I AM GOING TO PLAY SOME MORE GREAT UNIT.

LILJOE Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2005 01:45 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second scanner and my first trunk tracker and boy oh boy was I confused trying to program this baby until I read another review and bought the ARC246 software program from BuTel and what a difference. It became another world and it was thanks to the software. I got to copy and paste not only single freqs. but whole groups from one system to another then with trunking freqs. all I had to do was put in the main freq. and the program did the rest. It's Web Catcher ability is definitely a plus and it allows you to store the weblink into the program to check for updates in the future.
Now back to the BC246T, WOW!!!! What a great little scanner. The small footprint makes it wonderful for travel instead of having something that feels like a diving weight on my belt. Close Call Technology is a dream come true. The BC246T is a must have especially when you complement it with the ARC246 Software program. When friends ask I refer to them as the Dynamic Duo, LOL. If you have any hesitations as to purchasing this scanner, don't. Take it from this novice the Dynamic Duo (Uniden BC246T and BuTel ARC246 software) can make any novice with minimal knowledge like my self into a scanner pro in very little time.