Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | AOR AR-7030 Help

Reviews Summary for AOR AR-7030
AOR  AR-7030 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,799.95 (7030+)
Description: A Menu-driven Radio which can also be Computer-Controlled

You can write your own review of the AOR AR-7030.

FENU-RADIO Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2005 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good and sensitive Receiver! Super audio! Only the IP3+ is not that which the technical data write.
More in german:
W4WAL Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2005 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Better the ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning this fine radio for many years, performance had slipped and then it quit. I send it to AOR-US, they sent it to AOR-UK. When I got it back they had performed all updates available, including a new speaker. The radio is stunning in performance. It has the best AM Sync of any radio that I know of, I wish all my purchases were as good as my purchase of this radio.
JOEANALSSANDRINI Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Modified "Plus" Version  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Without a doubt, this is the finest shortwave radio with which I have ever worked. I use it in conjuction with a Wellbrook ALA 330S Active Loop Antenna (attic-mounted on a Radio Shack Rotator). Mine is the "Plus" version which I purchased from THE SHORTWAVESHOP in the UK (the same shop from which I purchased the Wellbrook antenna). My particular unit has a 2.2 kHz Crystal filter which was installed by the factory. It also has a 6.4 kHz filter (which is the "wide" AM filter used in the "standard" AR-7030).

It is unfortunate that, due to some well-publicized criticisms of its operating system, this radio has suffered poor sales in the USA. In my opinion, these criticisms are totally without any merit whatsoever. In other words, "it just ain't so!!"

One must read the owner's manual; one must do that for almost any new piece of sophisticated electronic equipment. After one or two days, the owner will have the operation "down cold."

There is an excellent (and free!) computer-control program for the AR-7030. It is called RxWings. It offers discrete controls for (almost) every facility on the radio and offers some features (such as scanning) which are not present on the receiver itself. As a computer program, it is a masterpiece. It can be found here:

The radio is extremely selective, quiet, and sensitive. The range of adjustments is awesome. With the crystal filter, the sound is practically the same as straight AM (when listening with ECSS). Even music sounds good through this (2.2 kHz) filter. The AM Synchronous function is also almost flawless. The AGC action (with three positions, as well as "off") is excellent.

It is unfortunate that US buyers must go "out of the country" to buy this radio now. However, THE SHORTWAVE SHOP is a "class" operation. They work closely with AOR UK so that you can have your receiver customized exactly the way you like (for the type of listening you do). While it is not possible, at the present time, to buy online, the prospective purchaser can telephone them at:
011 44 1202 490099 or FAX them at:
011 44 1202 490099
They are very responsive to inquiries. (Don't let an overseas telephone call frighten you; my long distance service charges only 5 cents[!] per minute to call the UK. Yours may be even less.)
Their website is:
Their e-mail address is:

I might mention that AOR UK is also a fantastic operation. They made up a number of custom cables for me (to attach to my computer, stereo system, recorder, etc.) at very low cost; they even obtained for me some tools and test equipment which I could not find locally. If you ever need to telephone them, their number is:
011 44 1629 581222
Their website is:
Their e-mail address is:

I hope no one thinks this is an "advertisement" for this radio; I just want to inform as many people as I can about the merits of this receiver. It is one of the few instances of which I am aware that PASSPORT TO WORLD BAND RADIO has been biased incorrectly (they "damn with faint praise" this receiver). (Actually, if you read their original 1997 review, they do praise the radio, but they have some columnists who evidently were looking for a "plug 'n play" radio. I do not believe ANY sophisticated receiver is really "plug 'n play." I believe this radio to be no more difficult to operate than the Ten-tec RX-340 or the Watkins-Johnson WJ-8711A. Certainly if one can operate any VCR, that person can operate the AR-7030.

I would recommend this receiver to any serious SW listener.
G4EDY Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2003 12:47 Send this review to a friend
First Class  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some rig manufacturers should buy one of these to see just how a broadband receiver should be designed!!

I have a 7030 plus with noise blanker PCB and an INRAD filter, it is superb.

I get a lot of enjoyment from SW broadcast listening while working in my workshop and this receiver has opened up a new world in entertainment.

It is my first menu controlled receiver and I found no difficulty mastering it, and I am a bit of a dinosaur!!

RF performance is first class, it easily outperforms many mid priced transceivers, and some top notch rigs as well. Now if AOR produced a transmitter to go with the 7030 I would sell my main HF rig.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2003 13:15 Send this review to a friend
serious receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well not sure how a radio can check out way above the Drake RB in the ARRL Lab and not be in the same class, but I guess we all have our Ford ,Chevy moments. This is a serious SWL radio and a super General Coverage reciever. It is does a super job on the ham bands as well and it's price tag also reflects it's performance. Some users are not crazy about how it drives or is controlled, but for the most part it is no different then most of the modern rigs today which all seem to have a learning curve. This radio received a 5 star rating from nearly all the major short wave reviewers, (Pass Port Radio, World Radio, and an extensive review in the ARRL lab showed super dynamic range and outstanding performance in all areas. If I recall it exceeded the Drake R8B in several areas. I think the Drake R8B is an excellent radio, but this radio is as good if not better.
73 N0XE
WHFITE Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2003 12:26 Send this review to a friend
A very nice toy.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a capable receiver that the manufacturer has crippled with an operating system that someone, I suppose, thought was cute and would give the receiver marketing appeal. It isn't hard to learn, it is just a nuisance. Apart from this inexplicable mistake, it is a good, capable receiver. It isn't the monster that its partisans describe but if you aren't bothered by its ginchy O/S (or you want something that none of your friends have), it certainly performs well. It isn't in the class with a Drake R8B but it comes reasonably close.
BOBH Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2003 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Best purchase I ever made  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted a reciever for short wave broadcast listening, and because I live in the east of the UK I wanted a good one. We are 'not supposed' to listen to the BBC world service, and where I live is not a natural hop from the famous european stations.

I bought my 7030+3 second hand, with 5 different collins filters, and was impressed from the very beginning. The way the software automatically orders the filters is very clever.

I use a simple long-wire with a home made ATU for matching, although this is hardly necessary, and the results for nightime listening to European stations are stunning. I use the sync mode and switch between sidebands to eliminate interference, and the AGC performance is truly magnificent. I've had hours of pleasure listing to wonderful music that would otherwise be unobtainable.

I spent some time DXing uk local MF stations with a small loop, just for fun, and again the ability to discriminate one station from another was superb.

I've listened to broadcasts from the USA and Australia with a very short antenna, and the tuning, AGC and filtering combine to make a useless signal very listenable to.

Technically the receiver is superb - you can find the specs on the web - but for me it is the ability with which it does what I wanted that is the clincher. Recommended.
W5WLA Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2002 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Grrrreat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Haveing owned several high end SWB receivers, I think the 7030+ that I have owned for several years is the best, cost is high, but the hardware is exceptional. After you use the radio enough, you find that you can flip through the menue quickly. This radio also has some features built into the design that makes it unique. My back up rx is a restored R 390, 85 pounds and 27 tubes, runs neck and neck with the 7030, until the SYC detector is engaged, the dectector actualy tracks the signal and stays locked on.
G4SGI Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2002 11:30 Send this review to a friend
The best analogue HF desktop there is  Time owned: more than 12 months
This design has been around quite some time with very little in the way of improvements - but how can you possibly improve a design that is as good as this.

If you want an analogue RF design that you can be sure is the best performer there is, the AR-7030 is the one.
STEVE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2002 18:57 Send this review to a friend
they are the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
the best hf rx i have ever had,if i not owned it i have tryed it this is still the best in the fact that it sounds fab its cheap to buy & in real terms its a radio that can be kept on the road,in that parts are easy & cheap to get.dont get me wrong i have had a few problems with my 7030 but aor all-ways come to my aid & back up like that is hard to find.can be tricky to use i soon worked it all out ,this is the best that we can get the next step is working for g.c.h.q