Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE
Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $39.99
Description: Handheld AM/FM/7 Band SW Radio with digital display.
Same size as Grundig Mini 100PE Radio.
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE.

N6XQY Rating: 3/5 Mar 6, 2012 07:44 Send this review to a friend
OK for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good cheap AM-FM receiver for go bag. Too bad no BFO. Biggest annoyance: alarm clock feature - "set and forget" - forget about being able to disable recurring daily alarm, that is. The only way to disable alarm feature is to remove batteries.

KWDAVIDS Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2012 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Collect them all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Mini 300 is the same as the Tecsun R-919, and I have seen it under the LL Bean label too. It comes in a nice rubbery black case. But I also have a yellow, silver, dark gray and blue one. In addition I have seen product brochures for orange, red, pink, bronze, pearl and camouflage. The LL Bean model was sort of a strawberry syrup color.

I like the sturdy feel of the radio and the well-protected antenna. If it had a dial light and FM stereo, I might even be excited.

I haven't used the radio all that much, but I did note that it had less background noise on shortwave than some other radios I tried.

MARTESQUE Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2010 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Worth the Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
What this radio has going for it is size. Although a little larger than the Mini World 100, the improvements from that model are vast. And this easily fits in a pocket or go-bag, where the G5 or other (I own a number of portables) might not fit.

However, when the G6 came out, I was certain the Mini 300 would get shelved. It hasnít. With the price (and size) in mind, this is a decent performer on SW and FM. MW is a disappointment in fringe areas during daytime hours. Iím not expecting a DX machine, but it is deaf on AM ground wave signals.

I find most signal drifting disappears after the radioís been on for 10+ minutes. (Drifting is better on the MW band and non-existent on FM)

Iíll choose this over the G6 when:
1. Iím walking around and want to scan the radio. (Fits in hand perfectly)
2. Iím camping, going out on a boat and donít want to expose a $100+ investment to harsher conditions.
3. Not going to do any serious DXing, but want to have access.

I compare having different radios to a photographer and the use of multiple lenses and camera bodies. The Mini 300 is akin to having a point-and-shoot in your pocket. It will do the job.

Comparing this to the Universe, Iíd give it a 3 (4 if the MW was better)
For the price of $30, Iím going to be generous.

CARMEN Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2010 23:49 Send this review to a friend
decent 160 rx  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
impulse bought at 9 dollars on a deal site. its pretty sweet for 160 meter listening. unscrew the upper left trimmer all the way. builtin coil is a joke but place it in a larger one and youre golden.

minus a star since FM section is inexcusably bad

W9DJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2009 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Cool for $30  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe it should be a "5" at the price. Yes, it drifts some, the nano-size internal speaker is not Hi-Fi, there's no BFO, and selectivity is not great, but it's only $30 and it's very sensitive. The frequency display is even semi-accurate. I do wish it had a little display light. I have found that earphones greatly improve the listening experience, and the built in alarm clock makes it a useful travel radio. I have give several of these as gifts, and they always go over well (at least with radio guys).

HERM3 Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2009 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Big Bang For Buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little radio surprised me. I wasn't expecting much but as soon as I turned it, it was receiving stations I have never heard on a portable before, and clear. My cost $30.00 and it really is worth it. Turning is sensitive so note that, other then that, it's a good little radio.

N3NXD Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2009 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellence for the price!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine to replace worn out 100 mini. Good reception. Mild drift first 1/2 hr. then stable. Great idea, the rubber coating. Works well in the house, no electrical noise, devices pickup. Wish it had backlight, and way to tell time on clock without turning off unit. Great carry case. A classic.
Buy it, without worry.

W6JAK Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2008 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perhaps the quality has gone down since I received my 300PE for Christmas several years ago. Have used it almost every night since then without a single problem. It goes with me whenever I travel. Yes, the tuning wheel is course, but works OK with a little nudging of the thumb. Reception is very good for a little portable. It has been dropped many times and keeps on working.

N5IVZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 31, 2008 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Recycle it...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was very disappointed with the performance. Grundig can not hold a candle to Sony or Panasonic.

Not even good for AM work.

N4QIY Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2008 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Incredible for the size and money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, it has all the shortcomings with fast tuning and QSY'ing 500 kHz when you squeeze it that the other reviewers talk about. Hello - let's all get over it. Look at it for what it is: SWL'ing in your shirt pocket for less that $30. It's absolute bare bones but definitely has ears; it really works. Just get used to moving the tuning wheel a micron at a time and don't squeeze it too hard. You'll never be without SWL again.