Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE
Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $39.99
Description: Handheld AM/FM/7 Band SW Radio with digital display.
Same size as Grundig Mini 100PE Radio.
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Grundig/Eton Mini 300PE.

LIGHTFOOT44 Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2008 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Small Size, Big Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this used off Ebay. Small size but very powerful sound. SW capability is average-good, but considering the price you can't expect more than that. Solid feel with the Eton rubberized exterior. Functions are very easy to figure out, which is more than I can say for the E10. Nothing fancy, but this is the perfect radio to take as a travel companion. It's compact, durable, reliable, and can double as an alarm clock. You'll get SW reception as you travel and you won't have to be concerned about having this stolen, lost, or damaged.
In summation then.....
Good points- powerful sound, solid feel,easy to use functions,SW capability
Bad points- watch the antenna....if you push it down from the top it might bend and break. It's long for the size of this unit, and although pretty solid, it appears to me to be prone to bending or breaking.

K2AF Rating: 0/5 Oct 13, 2008 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This thing isn't even worth $10. It drifts just sitting there on the table, and changes freq. even depending on how tightly you grip it. It's next to impossible to tune, it has no light and it cannot be switched back to the clock while the radio is on. I wrote to the company and they answered and said that they're aware of the problems and will try to address them in the next radio. Stay away from this paperweight.

NV7F Rating: 3/5 Jul 20, 2008 07:45 Send this review to a friend
OK for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased a Grundig Mini 300 from Radio Shack. Same radio as picture. The radio is made in China by Tecsun. The back of the radio says it is designed and developed by Eton of Palo Alto. The first radio I purchase had a bad headphone jack. Radio Shack exchanged it for another one that was okay.

The main problem of the radio is the vfo (analog type) drifts quite a bit. It does receive surprising well off the telescoping antenna. The AM receiver is excellent. A ferrite core is incorporated in the radio. FM stereo sound is very good. AGC is practically non-existent. But that is expected for a radio in this price range.

The Radio Shack version of this radio comes with a nice soft case. This radio makes a good starter SWL radio. I would recommend that they change the vfo the PLL. There are other radios that Tecsun makes that are similar that do have a PLL (phase lock loop) tuning system. They cost about $10 to $15 more.

The display shows time or if on frequency readout. There are no memories. My recommendation is to spend a bit more and get a Tecsun PL-230.

Happy SWLing

KD7BWB Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2008 23:31 Send this review to a friend
I'm Extremely Pleased!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a Ham for over 10 years, been doing shortwave for 40 years, so I've used a lot of radios. This little Eton is surprising, so surprising that I often wonder what people are looking at when they criticize it. I compare it to my $350 Kenwood TH-F6 .
This Eton Costs less than the antenna on my Kenwood (catalog price for a replacement is $50), and hears a lot more shortwave than the Kenwood, with just the antenna on the Eton.

The radio is more stable than a AM/FM table radio I use in the office. Is the Eton rock steady? No. Is it supposed to be rock stable? Also no. You want stability? Spend enough money for a product with either a twin-tuned phaselock or a TCXO. Just the tuner parts for such a product will set you back more than the Eton costs as a finished product.

Those of you who gripe about this product need to understand what you are buying. This product uses a conventional tuner because firstly, it can be built very cheaply. Second, it is fairly noise free.
This means this type of tuner does not contribute rf energy to the rest of the radio, that requires extra cost to filter out of the receiver circuits (believe me, digital racket from a cheap digital phaselock tuner makes a lot more birdies and general racket than you might think).
The fact that this radio has a digital display, has much less to do with the radio's tuner, and much more to do with the notion that it incorporates a digital clock. The fact that the digital display reads frequency, is essential to understanding the radio. It displays the frequency, it has nothing at all to do with creating the tuner frequency.

If I really want to do a comparison, I'll just say, the Eton M300pe hears nearly as well as my Icom R-75 with a vertical antenna on my roof; while sitting here typing this letter, on the ground.

Do I have gripes? Sure. I'd love the radio to equal the performance of my R-75, or the receiver in my Yaesu FT-857d, filter hetrodynes, get rid of pulse racket, include a DRM converter, and generally satisfy a huge laundry list. But I'd have to spend thousands of dollars.

So my conscience is clear, and I sleep easy, knowing I have purchased a small jewel that hears well, stays on frequency well enough for me to listen to a conversation on Radio China International, provides excellent punchy audio, plays FM Stereo through the included earphones; and still contains a fully functional digital clock radio, with auto-turn-on, and sleep timer. And it even comes with a belt holster for the radio that everybody thinks contains a cellphone.

All that for $30, at Radio Shack; and can be had for less elsewhere. People complain, and I shake my head in disbelief.

KN0V Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2008 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Works pretty well for a $13 refurb  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased mine for $13.50 thru the REI Outlet store. Took it on a Boundary Waters canoe trip last week. Reception up there is marginal at best. We were able to pick up FM stations out of Duluth and WELY (out of Ely) with no problem. Listened to a Twins game or two with it. I have no gripes about it. Yes, the tuning is touchy, but a communications grade RX it isn't. Battery life is good.

LEATHER Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2008 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Good, compact radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine as a free bonus when I purchased my S350 DL. The S350 DL was the star attraction and I shoved the mini 300 PE away in a drawer and forgot about it. A couple of months later I came across it and tried it out. For a radio of its size and price it works amazingly well.

Tuning it can be a little tricky until one gets used to it. Also strong, local FM stations have a way of appearing at different parts of the dial where they don't belong. Sometimes shortening the antenna can help that problem.

I was most surprised at the short wave reception. It performs as well as some of my more expensive receivers.

My job involves a certain amount of travel and staying in hotels. This radio takes up very little space in the carry on bag and works better than the radios in most hotel rooms.

RADIODINNER Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2008 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Very good, with a couple flaws  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am really surprised with the reception on this tiny thing. I might just by another while no one looking (Another radio???!!)
What I like:
Sound: Great sound for such a tiny speaker,l even if it is a bit tinny, it's definately got gumption.
Selectivity: Fantastic! Two stations within 4 Mhz of each other are easily separated.
Clarity: This radio is considerably clearer than many other shortwave portables I own. Why if it only had BFO I could listen to some 40 meters.

What could use a little improvement:
Drift: There is a bit of drift, although annoying at times it can be coped with.
Oscillations: The radio is hard to get to stop ocsillating between stations. Sometimes I give up fine tuning and listen to a shortwave broadcast as that annoying little squeal goes up and down slowly and quietly. Which brings us to the next issue:
Loose tuning: Too lose. All you have to do is bump the tuning dial and it shoots up 500 Mhz.
I had a bit of a reliability issue as well. The clock seems to work sometimes, and sometimes not. At times it would blink 10:10 for hours, othertimes it would be wrong, and others right.
AM and FM are both superb and stereo FM is a plus. An external antenna only caused obtrusive images in multiple bands so I don't use one.
So overall:
The Good:
Sound with stereo FM
Selectivity
Clarity

The Bad:
Drift
Oscillation
Loose Tuning
Reliability

It's really more of a 3.75 but I decided to be nice.

KE4GRP Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2008 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was standing there in Radio Shack and turn this radio on. The display started to go, so I figured that the batteries were going. Anyway, I tuned to the shortwave bands and pick up about 3 stations inside Radio Shack. Thought that was pretty good for almost dead batteries.

Took it home, hooked it up to the YO-YO Vee outside the bedroom window, and it works fine.

Gave it a 4 because I have had it only 4 Hours.

Oh, by the way, I bought a pillow speaker so my wife can watch tv while I liston to the radio.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2008 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would up with some credit at Radio Shack after returning some Christmas presents I received-how many digital picture frames does one need anyways? After looking around the store some, I found one of these for $29.99 and it seemed like something I wanted more than anything else they had for the amount of credit I had.

My Yaesu VX5R had died, so I missed having a hand held AM/FM/SW radio and this fit the bill nicely. Absolutely great sounding audio, and the receiver is very sensitive. Brought in some FM stations better than any HT I had owned. It has a rubber type case on it, but it is a nice size and shape with a telescoping antenna.

The only drawback is that it has a digital display, but it isn't PLL or digital tuning. It has the same analog tuning as any old AM/FM radio, it just shows you the frequency in a digital readout. It also didn't include the 5mhz shortwave band, which I would have liked.

For $30 you can't do much better.

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Another fun little SW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It seems to be as sensitive as my Mini 100PE. The antenna stalk could be done away with, but the trade-off is you get digital read-out and maybe that makes it a better gift for a SW newbie than a 100.It has the same surprising audio as the 100 so for the price, two of these orphans have found a home.