Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Spi-Ro AS-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Spi-Ro AS-2
Spi-Ro AS-2 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $$64.95
Description: All band dipole 1- through 160 meters. 70 feet in length
Factory Assembled--Ready to install--NO adjustments necessary
Install as Flat-top, inverted "V", Sloper, almost any configuration
More info: http://www.spiromfg.com/all_band.htm

You can write your own review of the Spi-Ro AS-2.

WB4TJH Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2009 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Needs redesign/deaf on 40 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works well on 80 thru 10, but is deaf as a brick on 40 meters . I use a very wide banded outboard tuner, so matching it to 1:1 is no problem, even on 40. But on 40 meters, I suspect the loading coils, which are located half way along each 35 foot element, must act as RF chokes on 40 meters. That means you only have about 15 feet or so wire on each element between the feed point and the coil that will actually tune on 40 meters. That's the only explanation I can come up as to why the antenna works so poorly on 40 meters out of the box. I bypassed both coils with a short wire that directly connected both parts of each element and the antenna now performs just fine on 40 and also still tunes the rest of the bands just as well. For those complaining on the poor performance on 160, if you would read the ARRL antenna book, you would know that the only real way to make this shortened type antenna work very well on 160 is to electrically short both ends of the 450 feedline together at the tuner end, and use the antenna plus feedline as a top loaded, endfed wire. As for the problem on 40 meters, I think the loading coils should be placed at the ends of each element like the Alpha Delta 80-40 combination dipole. I have fed that antenna with balanced feed line, and it works superbly on 80 thru 10 with no problems. The full sized version of this antenna is a fine, by the book, balanced dipole, which at 130 feet of length, and will tune 80 thru 10 with NO problems. That's why I suspect the location of the loading coils on the shortened version is the problem with it not working very well on 40. Spiro needs to redesign the locaton of the loading coils, and seriously needs to upgrade their instruction sheet to explain this antenna for those who do not understand how to use it, especially on 160. The sheet that comes with it is VERY inadequate and little more than a poor joke. Mechanically, the antenna is well made;I just don't think it's very well designed.

KD8DEY Rating: 0/5 May 17, 2008 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Dont Bother  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put one up as an Inverted V. Used a 4:1 ladder line balun since Spi-ro offers it in a deal with a antenna tuner with internal 4:1 Balun.

Hooked it into my AT897/Ft-897D. Even with the tuner I was getting high swr readings on 160m. "Tuned up" through the tuner on 80m.

Tried contacting a buddy on 80m about 50 mi away with 100w (I can hit his local repeater on 2m with 50w) and he could barely hear me above the noise floor (S8). Limited documentation.

Didnt know if the ladder line was used as part of the radiator like on a G5RV. doesnt say in the docs. Only states to adjust the ends of the wires on the outside of the traps not to make adjustments between the traps and the center connection.

Went to Hamvention today and Bought the MFJ-259 analyser. It shows the swr match to be OFF THE SCALE across the whole HF band except in the 14mhz range where the lowest it drops is around 2.5:1.

With such a bad match across the board no wonders I cant get out I'm loosing the majority of my TX power from the high swr. At least it seems to RX ok......

9Z4FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2007 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna 291 Prefix  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the last three years i have been using SPI-RO AS-2 i haved used all type of antenna including quads,but i have come to my conclusion after my own experience ,when comminmg to SPI-RO antennas they work i have work 291 Prefix today 9 short OF 300 with these antennas.
The white box which is this model HAM AMATEUR RADIO ALL BAND ANTENNA Continuous Cov .i have work station on 160 meters with this antenna,on digital modes the clusters will tell it all the white box antenna works great.
The trick with these antennas you need to set them up right once you have done this the world is yours i have several hy bred quads like the MQ SR 36 6 BANDER BY TMG CANADA,I have made comparison what i am hearing on these wire antennas from SPI-RO ,i am not hearing it on the quad my greatest success from amateur radio is using the white box antenna HAM AMATEUR RADIO ALL BAND ANTENNA Continuous Cov .
this antenna is boss ,rtty,psk31,sstv,cw,hell,name the modes i have work them with this wire antenna,i have learn a lot that once the adjustment is correct you are good to go i have now 5 SPI-RO hook up on my shack i have now become a true lover of wire antenna ,you cannot work what you not hear only what you hear see how many looks i have from qrz.com on station i have work 14.000.00 working these antennas .But also these antenna is not to be taken lightly especialy these model Ham Amateur Radio Multiband Antenna -80-10Mtr
Ham Amateur Radio Multiband Antenna - 40-10Mtr
HAM - DIPOLE - ANTENNA - 60 Meters - NEW!!
HAM - DIPOLE - ANTENNA - 6 Meters - NEW!!

I HAVE TRIED THEM I AM STILL WORKING THEM AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO 391 PREFIX THIS IS GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT ON WIRE

W7IBI Rating: 3/5 Dec 13, 2006 16:51 Send this review to a friend
So-So  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I gave it an OK but that is generous.
Made the purchase because I have moved into an HOA situation, and had to go stealth.
It does tune up dead flat on all bands except 20 meters, and on 20 it tunes no better than 3:1. That is with either the internal tuner in the IC-765 or the MFJ 941-E. I have written to Spi-Ro, but got no reply . I have installed the AS-2 avoiding all metal and other obstructions, I can say no more except I miss the tower and Mosley!

N1ZHE Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2005 16:07 Send this review to a friend
No 160 :-(  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put mine up today. It replaced a home-brew cobra-style dipole. The old antenna wouldn't do 160, but it was resonant on some of the bands and resonant on parts of other bands. It would easily tune on 6-80 meters. I had it up about 6 feet.

The new antenna is up about 30-35 feet. Both legs are parallel with the ground, but the configuration when viewed from directly above would look like a "V".

The new antenna seems to tune about as well as the old. It isn't supposed to do 6 meters, but it tunes and I get full power.

I guess it's not up high enough for me to tune 160 meters. My SWR meter stops at 3:1 and it won't tune below that. Output is about 5-10 watts on my 100 watt transmitter. I don't want to hurt my radio, so 160 meters is out for now.

I was kinda hoping to get top band, but with my lousy location I won't be getting the antenna up any higher. Hope others have better luck.

David, N1ZHE

WB4TGT Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2005 12:06 Send this review to a friend
dont need anything more  Time owned: more than 12 months
sorry i dont have the as2 model but i still got my spiro 110 ft antenna. had it for 14 years and had one trap replaced. free of charge after 3 years use. cant beat spiro antennas for wire antennas to work all bands. .oh yes mine works 160 great with tuner.
irecommend spiro if you a old ham or new.
wb4tgt i used other wire antennas and made a few my self but this one beats them all i had.

N4FPS Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2005 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up the AS-2 replacing my home brew 40 meter dipole of about the same length. The same day I made contacts in europe on 15 and 20 meters. Specifically Italy and England with 5x8 and 5x9 reports. The antenna claims 10 through 160 but I cannot tune mine on 160(I probably have it intalled too low for this band to tune properly)and 10 is 1.5:1. All other bands tune up flat across the band. I am running mine as a flattop at 35 feet. Overall this is antenna is ideal for me and the construction is excellent.

KG6R Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2004 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Darn Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Spi-Ro AS-2 is a wire antenna 70 ft long with two coils that enable it to be used as a multiband HF antenna 160-10 meters. It comes with 100 feet of 450 ohm feedline. It is neatly packaged making for an easy setup. No wire spewing everywhere like a slinky. The SWR is manageable with a tuner. I used a balun connected to a short piece of coax to get it into my shack . According to the manfacturer it can handle 1500 watts, since I run barefoot I cannot comment on that. The 14 gauge copper wire is very sturdy. From ordering to delivery it took less than a week. Nice folks too. I have mine up around 30 feet and it works well . Does it work like a yagi? No sir, but I have worked 3000 miles plus in poor conditions.