Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | AMERITRON ARB 704 Help

Reviews Summary for AMERITRON ARB 704
AMERITRON ARB 704 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $49.99
Description: INTERFACE FOR IC706 MK 2 TO AMERITRON 811HX
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/

You can write your own review of the AMERITRON ARB 704.

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Insurance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these little boxes on each of my amps and wouldn't be without them. Very cheap insurance for both the amps and the radios!

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2016 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this unit for several years now. It has been used with several different brands of HF radios and several amps, both older models with high voltage relays and with a modern solid state amp and it worked perfectly with all with no problems.

DL2FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2015 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used it previously with my TS-590 and an AL-811. Now it works just fine with my TL-922 and TS-590. No issues, easy setup and trouble free for two years now.

DL2FDJ

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2014 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Works like it should  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The ARB 704 just works great! It does exactly what it should. Smooth amp key up with my transmit pedal and no problems so far in over a year of heavy use. I originally had it connected to my Dentron Clipperton L and now with my new to me Heathkit SB220. Works perfectly every time so far.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know if this little box will protect my radio from the amp but, the red light comes on when I key PTT and everything works as it should. It was easy to set up and actually made ALC easier than I had expected because I use the ICOM plug/play cable. It seems well made and the supplied cables are quality work. I hope I never find out of this thing really works. If my amp frys it at some point, I will have other problems and be glad it was here. It is cheap insurance.

W2FBS Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2014 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using the ARB 704 for several years in between my Icom 7700 and an old Alpha 78. Has worked perfectly. Plug and play. Anybody with an old amp ought to have one or build their own.

NG0Z Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Slick Little Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a pretty smart guy and for the life of me and my son who is an Electrical Engineering student, we couldn't get the Icom 7600's ALC and my new Ameritron ALS-600 to operate efficiently having followed the ALS-600 calibration instructions at least twice...

So I spent $89 on this little box and the custom cord for the 7600...problem solved.

The amp is running more efficiently and the ALC control now controls the power output as it is designed...and it apparently protects the HF rig from any voltage issues on the ALC.

Well worth the money.

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2013 08:14 Send this review to a friend
The only Ameritron product that has not given me trouble  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little box is really great if you have *ANY*
doubt as to whether your rig's PTT line can
withstand the voltage present at the key input of
your amplifier. For me at least, it was worth the
fifty clams so I didn't have to dig through the
junk box and build my own.

I look at it as piece of mind: when in doubt, use
it. It can't hurt. So far, I have had no troubles
whatsoever with mine.

G0CUZ Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2013 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Good but unreliable  Time owned: more than 12 months

I've had the ARB-704 for about two years, during this time it has failed twice with only light usage!
I have used it with an IC-706 for which it has a plug 'n' play interface cable (good) and the swaying reason for getting one in preference to any other.
Control of the -170v switching on a Collins 30L-1 was required which I was assured would be possibe.

OK, it worked fine for a time, but then suddenly failed, it was repaired under warranty by the supplier here in the UK - Walters & Stanton, it took three weeks though (to get a component).

OK, back in business and it was working well until recently when it failed again, by failed I mean that it would switch the 30L-1 into permanent transmit - e.g. output from TX output was continuous low resistance - exactly same fault as before.

This time, I decided to try and repair it myself, after looking inside, it became obvious that Q2 had been replaced before, this is the switching NPN power SC, and indeed it was u/s, I managed to get the same component (took just 2 days for it to arrive via post! compared to 3 weeks at W/S), and total 30min fix from start to finish the job, it is working again at least for the time being.

You can't beat the old fashioned mechanical relay!!!! If you plan to use one of these with a 30L-1 - think again, the -170v is not good for these solid state switches, no matter what the manufacturers say!

This case study may be useful if you encounter the same fault with your ARB-704

WY4J Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2013 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Great product/Great Company  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these little boxes. Both work a specified by the manufacturer. Never have had a problem with any of these two boxes and I guess I must be a very lucky person. I have been purchasing MFJ products since I became a ham 36 years ago and have never had a defective product or had to return or complaint about any of their products as I am a very satisfied MFJ customer.