Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | AMERITRON ARB 704 Help

Reviews Summary for AMERITRON ARB 704
AMERITRON ARB 704 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $49.99
Description: INTERFACE FOR IC706 MK 2 TO AMERITRON 811HX
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/

You can write your own review of the AMERITRON ARB 704.

NN8B Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2013 07:26 Send this review to a friend
The PNP-8M cable does it in.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got an ALS-600S amp and ARB-704 box with the PNP-8M cable to connect a Yaesu FT-897D to the amp. Could not get the ALC to work during setup of the amp, so called Ameritron. Ameritron had me checking the continuity of the cable, tried setting the pot on the back of the ALS-600S full clockwise instead of counter-clockwise to see if the pot was wired backwards. I then checked the FT-897D's manual for the Cat/Linear jack and saw the ALC line is not the same pin as the ALC line on the PNP-8M cable. Told Ameritron while on the phone and they got a manual for the FT-897D to verify what I told him. He agreed with me that the cable is wired wrong and suggested I modify the cable or make my own. Then he said I didn't need ALC anyway because the rig is only 100 watts output. To my knowledge all PNP-8M cables will not work correctly on the FT-897D or the FT-857D radios. Ameritron said they never had anyone with this problem before. I find this hard to believe. My manual for the FT-897D is dated 2004. ALC is there for a reason and not having it is causing me to adjust my power output on each band while using the amp since they recommend 500 watts on CW, 200 watts on digi, and full output on SSB. Ameritron just screwed up on this one. I gave this ARB-704/PNP-8m combination for the FT-897D a 2 because it really needs help and Ameritron is not going to do anything about it.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2012 02:14 Send this review to a friend
works as it should  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using it for some months now. Works as advertised, just doing what it is supposed to do. No problem with uncleaned drillings here.

AD9DX Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2011 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Works great - Fit and finish not so much  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little box works great. It took all of three min. to set it up and get the amp on the air. With a special cable purchased from Ameritron I am able to hook up my Icom 7000 to my SB-200. My only complaints are that the fit and finish is less than ideal. The holes that are drilled in the back are not cleaned up after drilling. I took at apart and fixed the problem with a small ignition file. Once taken apart it took all of 30 seconds. I just wish Ameritron would have taken the time to do this at the factory.

AB8XB Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Never a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my ARB-704 for well over 3 years on a Yaesu FT-897D and my FT-950 with my trusty SB-220 and never had a problem to date. Would highly recommend to anyone using a older amp on newer rigs.
73' AB8XB

KG4GPJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the ARB-704 for over a year, first to interface an ICOM IC-706 with an AL-811, then a TS-870S, and, finally, the current rig, an ICOM IC-7200. It has worked perfectly with each rig and as designed for - HF. For the life of me, I can't understand the "lid" who gave this unit a low score for it not working on VHF, when it was never designed for VHF and never marketed for VHF. He should be giving the low score to the person who recommended the 704 for use on VHF - or to himself for not verifying the product info independently - geez!

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2010 07:50 Send this review to a friend
AL-811H to Icom 718  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Came highly recommended by friends also using the Ameritron AL-811H, "Especially since you have an Icom." I also purchased the PNP-13D "plug & play cable" to connect it to my Icom IC-718. Works exactly as it should. Excellent!

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2009 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Works perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works just perfectly between my Yaseu FT-450 and Heathkit SB201 amplifier. I push the PTT on the MD-100 mike, and the amp relay keys just like it's supposed to. It required no mods to any of my gear, just plug and play.

N5RMS Rating: 2/5 Jun 5, 2009 06:59 Send this review to a friend
ARB 704  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the ARB-704 interface box using an Icom 706MKIIG to key my external VHF amp. It was reccommended by a ham radio company in Texas. The box ONLY WORKS on HF/6mtr when attached to this radio. Short sighted on Ameritrons part. The Icom 706 uses two different lines to key external amps. One for HF/6Meters and a different one to key VHF/UHF. Sent the box back and made my own interface.

W7DDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2009 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also use it as an insurance buffer - guess that's why they call it a "buffer." Drive an AL-80B with a 756 Pro III, TS-830S, and Yaesu FT-857D for about 3 years without any problems.

N3OQD Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2009 22:32 Send this review to a friend
keying buffer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even though I have a current low voltage keyed Ameritron AL-811, I still use this buffer just for good measure. In the event that I come across an older high voltage keyed linear, this unit would make it useable with my current trancievers.