Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | AMERITRON ARB 704 Help

Reviews Summary for AMERITRON ARB 704
AMERITRON ARB 704 Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $49.99
Description: INTERFACE FOR IC706 MK 2 TO AMERITRON 811HX
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/

You can write your own review of the AMERITRON ARB 704.

AB8XB Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Never a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my ARB-704 for well over 3 years on a Yaesu FT-897D and my FT-950 with my trusty SB-220 and never had a problem to date. Would highly recommend to anyone using a older amp on newer rigs.
73' AB8XB

KG4GPJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the ARB-704 for over a year, first to interface an ICOM IC-706 with an AL-811, then a TS-870S, and, finally, the current rig, an ICOM IC-7200. It has worked perfectly with each rig and as designed for - HF. For the life of me, I can't understand the "lid" who gave this unit a low score for it not working on VHF, when it was never designed for VHF and never marketed for VHF. He should be giving the low score to the person who recommended the 704 for use on VHF - or to himself for not verifying the product info independently - geez!

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2010 07:50 Send this review to a friend
AL-811H to Icom 718  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Came highly recommended by friends also using the Ameritron AL-811H, "Especially since you have an Icom." I also purchased the PNP-13D "plug & play cable" to connect it to my Icom IC-718. Works exactly as it should. Excellent!

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2009 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Works perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works just perfectly between my Yaseu FT-450 and Heathkit SB201 amplifier. I push the PTT on the MD-100 mike, and the amp relay keys just like it's supposed to. It required no mods to any of my gear, just plug and play.

N5RMS Rating: 2/5 Jun 5, 2009 06:59 Send this review to a friend
ARB 704  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the ARB-704 interface box using an Icom 706MKIIG to key my external VHF amp. It was reccommended by a ham radio company in Texas. The box ONLY WORKS on HF/6mtr when attached to this radio. Short sighted on Ameritrons part. The Icom 706 uses two different lines to key external amps. One for HF/6Meters and a different one to key VHF/UHF. Sent the box back and made my own interface.

W7DDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2009 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also use it as an insurance buffer - guess that's why they call it a "buffer." Drive an AL-80B with a 756 Pro III, TS-830S, and Yaesu FT-857D for about 3 years without any problems.

N3OQD Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2009 22:32 Send this review to a friend
keying buffer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even though I have a current low voltage keyed Ameritron AL-811, I still use this buffer just for good measure. In the event that I come across an older high voltage keyed linear, this unit would make it useable with my current trancievers.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2009 15:11 Send this review to a friend
CHEAP INSURANCE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My AMERITRON 811H works just fine without it with my ICOM 756 PROII but in my opinion it's a CHEAP INSURANCE POLICY.Better SAFE than SORRY.Just because I fell my gear is safer with it than without it I'll keep mine in line! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

WA9VEE Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2009 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Not needed with FT-897D and AL-811  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was sold one of these, along with the special 704 cable by a well meaning salesman as he thought it was required with the AL-811 amp I was buying new. It worked switching the AL-811 off and on for transmit, but the FT-897 acted strangely refusing to power off and also showing a blank screen when trying to power off. The 897 turned off OK as soon as I removed power from the 704.

A simple Din to RCA cable I had previously ordered off ebay then arrived, and I tried it, since the 897 manual says it can handle the 100ma switching current that the AL-811 uses. The cable works fine.

I will keep the 704, but since the simple cable works better, I will keep on using the simple solution.

W2RS Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2008 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Works great, no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the ARB 704 between my Orion II and 30L-1. Setting it up was a snap, and it's been problem-free ever since. The 30L-1's keying voltage of 170 VDC would fry the Orion without an interface or relay of some kind. With the ARB 704, the two are the best of friends.