Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound Help

Reviews Summary for Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound
Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $210
Description: DSP speaker for communications use. New Heil design using the technology from the NCT Group with a number of improvements over the old Am-Com design. The Heil design now includes a 5 step DSP level switch, improved speaker and acoustically tuned enclosure, increased output, variable volume and tone controls and a sensitivity input level monitor.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/clear_speech_speaker.htm

You can write your own review of the Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound.

K4IQT Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2009 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Very useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Heil ClearSpeech speaker for about four years now, and have been very pleased with its performance. It effectively removes almost all QRN and heterodynes, making it very useful on 40 SSB in the evenings and 75 SSB in the summer. I've used it some on CW, but it can be a problem at keying speeds below 10 wpm or so. At its DSP setting "1" with a narrow filter in the receiver, copy is excellent with QSB and QRM being the only things it can't cope with.

My only gripe with it is the top-heavy plastic case, which is not amenable to shelving with other gear, and my station is just not set up to handle a bracket-mounted speaker. Also, the knobs are quite small and the DSP selector switch is pretty stiff, so don't get any beer or ketchup on your fingers before trying to change the settings (hi). Were it not for these physical issues, it would be a 5/5 for me. As it is, I may repackage it in the future for better convenience if HF transceivers with decent DSP don't come down in price in the next few years.

KC2TZX Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2008 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Not Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this a couple of years ago to use with my ICOM R-75 receiver. Hooked it up and it sounded pretty good, overall for its sound quality, I'd have to give it a 4 or 5. Then I tried to hook up my headphones to it. When putting the plug in, the headphones worked, but the speaker didn't cut out. I took it apart and made sure all the contacts were correctly touching the jack, they were. I attempted to contact HRO (where I bought it through the mail) but they never responded to me after numerous attempts. I then contacted Heil directly and they, to their credit, tried to talk me through fixing it, but everything they suggested was OK on the speaker. They wanted me to send it back, at my expense, insured! That really shook me. I decided to bite the bullet and just keep it the way it was as I didn't think I should have to pay to return a brand new, EXPENSIVE, defective speaker. Needless to say, I won't by from HRO or a Heil product again.

WA8DVD Rating: 1/5 Apr 5, 2008 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Poor Excuse for a Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Heil Speaker is one of the biggest losers to come out in a long time. I can not believe Bob Heil would put out such a product. The audio is terrible and the Noise cancelling function is even worse. What made it even worse, when I contacted Heil they gave me no support at all. They said it was a discontinued model and had no information or help. They know they had a lemon on their hands and are trying to cover it up. For the money, I can not recommend this speaker for any use at all. Played with it a couple of weeks then got rid of it. What a waste of money

NB2N Rating: 2/5 Aug 30, 2007 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Worked but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used it in the shack. The DSP worked nicely except for the highest setting where artifactual noise made it unusable. RF pickup was awful. It recently went dead, after just 18 months of use.

KG4HUP Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 07:13 Send this review to a friend
It Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this with several rigs an it will reduce noise with anything it is hooked up to. Set it up to sound like you want an leave it alone. Really Works!!

KJ4EU Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2006 07:42 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the speaker new about 6 months ago
from HRO. This is perhaps one of the best
investments I have made recently to my fixed
station operation, The speaker has worked
flawlessly, no feedback whatsoever ! I am using
it with a Yaesu FT990 and couldn't be happier.
It's a shame Heil no longer produces these speakers. If you can find one used, GRAB IT !

N4QT Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2005 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Heil Clear Speech speaker has enhanced the receive capability of my PROIII. It has cut the white noise in half even with the PROIII IF noise reduction turned on. Only negative comment is the use of headphones. This is an amplified speaker. With headphones you can hear a low level hum you don't hear through the speaker. It has incresed the quality of the received audio through the speaker. That is why I purchased this unit. Heil no longer is making this DSP speaker. Bob Heil told me they made 1,000 of these units. If you want one I advise you don't delay. Many dealers still have units in stock. One last note make certain you follow all grounding and other instructions to eliminate RF feedback through the speaker. I have had no problems by following Bob's instructions. You most likely will have RF feedback if the unit is not properly installed.

K4IQT Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2005 12:49 Send this review to a friend
40M at night, at last  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Because of several nearby business/industrial sites, my daytime HF operations are plagued with an S6-S9+ noise floor on weekdays. After many attempts to resolve this with the RF-emitting busineses, I finally decided to try a good DSP system. The Heil Clear Speech speaker is just the ticket, and is great at removing relatively steady noise. I can now copy most signals down to very low levels. The automatic heterodyne remover works very well, making it possible to work 40M CW or SSB at night with almost no difficulty at all. Wow!

The only weak spots are the difficult-to-remove sheet metal mounting strap (not needed for desktop use), the potential for RF feedback (which I have not experienced), and the rather ordinary plastic housing. Also, it takes a little getting-used to, with the DSP adding a sort of jitter in the background. None of these issues are enough to detract from a well-deserved high rating. At $170 this is a very, very good deal for those of us that cannot justify the purchase of an Orion.

HK3PZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 7, 2005 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Failed to work and without support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
To me the Heil Clear Speech Speaker I bought from AES Orlando merits a 0 because it failed to operate properly once installed, and the manufacturer, Heil Sound, refused to give support in this case. Now that such a speaker has been discontinued by its manufacturer, I hope Mr. Heil changes his mind and comes forward with support to those buyers who received non operational speakers.
Alberto Ospina HK3PZ

KK4DW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2005 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Should've done this a long time before  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw this speaker advertised in a Ham Radio Supplier's catalog. Shopped around, found HRO at $179.99, no sales tax no freight charges, far away by $50 the least expensive, and had it shipped in. I read the instructions, followed them, installed some ferrite R.F. chokes at the input of the speaker and the input of the wall wart. Hooked it up and WOW what a huge reduction in background noise. Adding this A.F. DSP to my Icom 746 PRO I.F. Dsp was like having a squelch on H.F.

I operate almost exclusively CW, and run an Ameritron AL-811 on 20 mtrs during this cycle. I have no problem at all with feedback. I grounded the speaker just as the instructions say. All my equipment is bonded and grounded.

As the device needs a certain level of audio out of the receive, if you set the audio output too low going to the AF DSP it doesn't have ufficient level to function properly. You'll soon find the sweet spot and just leave everything adjusted.