Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound Help

Reviews Summary for Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound
Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $210
Description: DSP speaker for communications use. New Heil design using the technology from the NCT Group with a number of improvements over the old Am-Com design. The Heil design now includes a 5 step DSP level switch, improved speaker and acoustically tuned enclosure, increased output, variable volume and tone controls and a sensitivity input level monitor.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/clear_speech_speaker.htm

You can write your own review of the Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound.

N3OO Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2005 16:31 Send this review to a friend
plug n play for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have no problems with mine...bought it at Dayton Hamvention 2005. Used it with ic735 , ft900 , ts830s and the ft1000d tied into several amps of legal power and used on all bands,with many antennas both ssb & cw.

No problem of any rf....that being rigs grounded or ungrounded with NO added chokes or beads...works just as good ( if not better ) than the Clear Speech speaker.
73 BOB N3OO

VA5SAM Rating: 2/5 Aug 23, 2005 13:20 Send this review to a friend
VERY POOR DESIGN FOR MOBILE USE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this to use with my Icom 706 mk 2 G in my Ford F-250 diesel pickup. Boy,, what a disappointment this speaker is. First off, the size of it lends very poorly to any mobile environment even though in a pickup you can manage to find room for it. The unit actually does a very good job of eliminating noise but in a mobile environment you need some volume so that you can actually hear what is being said. If you are reading this Bob, you have to go back to the drawing board on this one as you cannot get the volume up loud enough without the speaker going into overload thus making it totally useless while traveling down the highway. Now here I am stuck with close to a $300 Canadian invested for another dust collector . Please,, someone come up with a mod to improve the sound level or better yet, Bob, come up with a fix. An amplified speaker that you cannot hear above the road noise is useless.

KB3IFH Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2005 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Not a plug and play speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
(NOTE: I put this same review in the other Heil Clear Speech Speaker catagory since their was two of these)
I think Iím going to be the first to give this a mixed review. I first want to say that that Bob Heil and his company was quick to help. When I called for tech support, guessed who answered? Yes, Bob Heil. So the first part of my review I give them a 5+++ for customer support. My demonstration at Dayton 2005 was fantastic from pre-recorded broadcasts. SOLD, I bought one! I immediately installed the speaker in my Honda Pilot and yes itís a little large but I was OK with this. Be sure you have space for this speaker! Right away this speaker did not work. I was able to turn the power off and would still get audio. No DSP filtering at all. Echoing with TONE control. A few lessons learned immediately. Do NOT use the cigarette lighter; you will need to run a direct line to the battery. You WILL need to ground this speaker as well. A wire is included with the speaker as well as instructions on the procedure. I was never able to get the speaker to work in the mobile properly.

Next I tried the speaker in the house. You will need a separate power supply rather than trying to use a current power source that may run your radio. This advice is given in the instructions from Heil. After installation in the house my next big hurdle was RF feeding into the speaker. Fortunately I had several snap on ferrite beads. These are also recommended in the manual. And yes I had to ground the speaker. (Special cable included that actually plugs into the external speaker jack in the back of the speaker). One other problem I noted in my mobile operation is that if you get an echoing or reverb sound as you turn up the TONE control itís probably a grounding issue.

I hope this review helps. Most of these you see on EBAY are because of size and problems in operation that I experienced. Iíve caught a few people being misleading in their descriptions until I probed a little and asked certain questions about their operation. I will say Iím happy with the speaker now. I do use the AMCOM Clear Speech speaker in the car and was hoping to make the Heil speaker work mobile but was unable to. I know others have so itís not the speaker. This speaker is NOT a plug and play speaker like the AMCOM speakers.

KB3IFH Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2005 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Not a plug and play speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

W9ZB Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2005 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Clear Speech RFI Problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own the new Heil Clear Speech as well as the SGC ADSP2 and I have problems with RF pick up on both of them, whether in the shack or in the mobile. I got the SGC unit for mobile operation in my RV, but struggled with the RF problems, so bought the Clear Speech after trying a friend's earlier model which seemed clean of RF pick up. The Heil unit has severe RF pick up, probably due to the added circuitry, and now I've had to do some drastic things to allow it's use. I've communicated with Bob, and tried all his suggested fixes, but they don't work for all bands and all enviornments, especially mobile, where you can't define a "good ground". In the case of the SGC, I removed all the electronics from it's little plastic speaker box and installed them in a cast metal RCA speaker housing and that improved things some. I finally minimized the problem by bringing out an unused "volume control" line from the SGC processor to the Icom 706 keying line to mute the speaker when transmitting. For the Heil Clear Speech, I have added a relay in series with the speaker to cut it out when transmitting, and drive it with a home-brew interface circuit connected to the 706 keying line. After all this struggle, the performance of the Heil Clear Speech is very good, with a wider, smoother audio bandwidth. The SGC unit has a rather annnoying peak in response, which has required a careful selection of external speaker to make it as useful as the Clear Speech. I use them both now, especially when operating a VHF contest, with one on the 6 Meter receiver, and the other on the 2 Meter receiver.

N0JSN Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2005 16:11 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC SOUND  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WHAT A GREAT SPEAKER, BOB HEIL HAS DONE IT AGAIN.THIS SPEAKER HAS EVERYTHING 4 LEVELS OF DSP, A TONE AND VOLUME CONTROL, ON OFF SWITCH AND A RED AND GREEN LED THAT CHANGES FROM GREEN TO RED IF YOUR RECIEVER VOLUME IS HITTING THE SPEAKER TOO HARD. SOME PEOPLE MIGHT SAY ITS A LITTLE BIG, BUT DO YOU WANT GOOD AUDIO OR DO YOU WANT SOMTHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE A TIN CAN? PLENTY OF GREAT AUDIO. AND YOU GUYS WITH THE OLD NON DSP RIGS, WAIT TILL YOU PLUG THIS SPEAKER INTO THE OLD RIGS. IF WE WOULD HAVE HAD A SPEAKER LIKE THIS TEN YEARS AGO I GUESS WE WOULD'NT HAVE HAD TO BUY THESE NEWER DSP RIGS. BOB HEIL HAS REALLY MADE SOME FANTASTIC IMPROVEMENTS TO THE CLEAR SPEECH. GREAT JOB BOB AND KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO SO WELL!

WT7T Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2005 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Heil Sound Clearspeech to add to my brand new Drake R8B. The R8B didn't eliminate noise as well as my Kenwood TS2000X, so I thought external audio DSP might help. The review in CW June 2005 convinced me to give it a try.

I am completely pleased. I've tried it on CW, SSB and SWL Broadcast, and in every situation it cleans up the signal, removes atmospheric noise, and does just what I wanted.

I have not tried it mobile so I have no idea about what it does for ignition noise. I have not tried it while transmitting, so I haven't had to wrestle with any feedback loops. I just got it for one purpose, improving my listening pleasure with my R8B, and it does that wonderfully.

In addition, I like the clean 5 watts audio output.

Barry
WT7T

KC5LVW Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2005 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Low Banders Get One!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, Bob does it agin, not perfect but what an improvement over our other choices. You MUST use seperate power supplis if you want to use the suggestedf settings because of a feedback loop situation, I opted for a waal-wart and all is well. I wanted help for 80M and 160M especially during summer and THIS UMIT WORKS. Again, not perfect but sure is going to makr the low bands more pleasing this summer compared to the OEM radio folks offerings.

WB4YDL Rating: 3/5 Apr 23, 2005 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Not a good mobile speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to say this is the only product of Bob Heil's that I am disappointed in. I have it mounted on the floorboard of my Dodge Ram and have it connected to my Icom 706 Mk2G. I wanted a speaker with good audio punch as well as definition, and given the size of the speaker, I was expecting more. First, I had to send the speaker in for rewiring, as it did not work right out of the box. After getting it back and troubleshooting my own setup, and resolving a few bugs, I was surprised that the maximum obtainable volume was less than a $13 MFJ passive speaker. The instructions state to turn the volume control on the speaker to maximum, and control the volume from the transceiver - doing so, I could only turn the knob on the '706 to between 9-10 o'clock before overdrive was apparent. This leaves not enough volume for a mobile station where there is higher ambient noise from the road, engine, etc. For the size of the speaker, I was expecting quite a bit of volume. Sitting in a parking lot with engine off, yielded acceptable volume and good audio quality. I had none of the usual mobile gremlins related to alternator noise, etc., but it is advised to utilize the grounding wire included with the speaker. The Tone and DSP controls work as advertised - but, in my case, the Tone had to be backed off quite a bit as the audio sounded 'hot'. In summary, this speaker is better suited for the home (non-mobile) station, it is quite sensitive to being overdriven (with my present setup), and definitely not a good mobile speaker (in both size and audio punch). Sorry Bob, this one's coming out of service.

AD5TH Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2005 07:48 Send this review to a friend
The Cat's MEOW!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker is the cat's meow. I previously owned the AmCom CS Base unit and this blows it away not just aesthetically but in performance and features too. With 1KW HF output I had some RFI issues (audio feedback) I followed Bob Heil's tips in the included manual. I used 2 Amidon RFI Suppression cores (2x31-4281p2)and used 1 each on signal in and power line. Those steps plus using the included grounding wire to attach to the shack ground (6ft rod)at my 746 Pro did away with ALL RFI issues entirely. I cannot stress enough to read the manual and do as Bob suggests if you have issues. Barefoot I had no issues at all. The 2 cores cost me a whopping $3.95 total. This unit is a powerful audio processing product. Even with my Icom 746 Pro and it's IF-level 32-bit DSP processing for noise reduction the Heil speaker further reduces received audio noise well beyond what the 746 Pro does...and the 746 Pro does do a lot! You gotta get this speaker! I tuned several weak signals on HF and VHF and this unit DID make the difference between "no copy" and "good copy". It is THAT good! I already snagged an all time new grid on 2M SSB thx to this product. I am using a Radio Shack 12v/500ma (273-1773) adapter with the "H" (3.4MM)"adapta-plug". Bob's speaker measures 7.5 wide x5 inches deep x5 inches tall. It might be a tad large for some sub-compact vehicles but for base use it is a sweet sounding and sexy looking unit.

Is it worth $210? Absolutley. Plus HRO sometimes has "open box" deals for less ($179.99)

PHOTOS of the INSIDE and OUTSIDE,the RFI suppression cores and the brief but informative 4 page OWNER'S MANUAL at my site for download.

www.ad5th.com