Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound Help

Reviews Summary for Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound
Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $210
Description: DSP speaker for communications use. New Heil design using the technology from the NCT Group with a number of improvements over the old Am-Com design. The Heil design now includes a 5 step DSP level switch, improved speaker and acoustically tuned enclosure, increased output, variable volume and tone controls and a sensitivity input level monitor.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/clear_speech_speaker.htm

You can write your own review of the Clear Speech Speaker by Heil Sound.

HK3PZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 7, 2005 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Failed to work and without support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
To me the Heil Clear Speech Speaker I bought from AES Orlando merits a 0 because it failed to operate properly once installed, and the manufacturer, Heil Sound, refused to give support in this case. Now that such a speaker has been discontinued by its manufacturer, I hope Mr. Heil changes his mind and comes forward with support to those buyers who received non operational speakers.
Alberto Ospina HK3PZ

KK4DW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2005 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Should've done this a long time before  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw this speaker advertised in a Ham Radio Supplier's catalog. Shopped around, found HRO at $179.99, no sales tax no freight charges, far away by $50 the least expensive, and had it shipped in. I read the instructions, followed them, installed some ferrite R.F. chokes at the input of the speaker and the input of the wall wart. Hooked it up and WOW what a huge reduction in background noise. Adding this A.F. DSP to my Icom 746 PRO I.F. Dsp was like having a squelch on H.F.

I operate almost exclusively CW, and run an Ameritron AL-811 on 20 mtrs during this cycle. I have no problem at all with feedback. I grounded the speaker just as the instructions say. All my equipment is bonded and grounded.

As the device needs a certain level of audio out of the receive, if you set the audio output too low going to the AF DSP it doesn't have ufficient level to function properly. You'll soon find the sweet spot and just leave everything adjusted.

N3OO Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2005 16:31 Send this review to a friend
plug n play for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have no problems with mine...bought it at Dayton Hamvention 2005. Used it with ic735 , ft900 , ts830s and the ft1000d tied into several amps of legal power and used on all bands,with many antennas both ssb & cw.

No problem of any rf....that being rigs grounded or ungrounded with NO added chokes or beads...works just as good ( if not better ) than the Clear Speech speaker.
73 BOB N3OO

VA5SAM Rating: 2/5 Aug 23, 2005 13:20 Send this review to a friend
VERY POOR DESIGN FOR MOBILE USE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this to use with my Icom 706 mk 2 G in my Ford F-250 diesel pickup. Boy,, what a disappointment this speaker is. First off, the size of it lends very poorly to any mobile environment even though in a pickup you can manage to find room for it. The unit actually does a very good job of eliminating noise but in a mobile environment you need some volume so that you can actually hear what is being said. If you are reading this Bob, you have to go back to the drawing board on this one as you cannot get the volume up loud enough without the speaker going into overload thus making it totally useless while traveling down the highway. Now here I am stuck with close to a $300 Canadian invested for another dust collector . Please,, someone come up with a mod to improve the sound level or better yet, Bob, come up with a fix. An amplified speaker that you cannot hear above the road noise is useless.

KB3IFH Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2005 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Not a plug and play speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
(NOTE: I put this same review in the other Heil Clear Speech Speaker catagory since their was two of these)
I think Iím going to be the first to give this a mixed review. I first want to say that that Bob Heil and his company was quick to help. When I called for tech support, guessed who answered? Yes, Bob Heil. So the first part of my review I give them a 5+++ for customer support. My demonstration at Dayton 2005 was fantastic from pre-recorded broadcasts. SOLD, I bought one! I immediately installed the speaker in my Honda Pilot and yes itís a little large but I was OK with this. Be sure you have space for this speaker! Right away this speaker did not work. I was able to turn the power off and would still get audio. No DSP filtering at all. Echoing with TONE control. A few lessons learned immediately. Do NOT use the cigarette lighter; you will need to run a direct line to the battery. You WILL need to ground this speaker as well. A wire is included with the speaker as well as instructions on the procedure. I was never able to get the speaker to work in the mobile properly.

Next I tried the speaker in the house. You will need a separate power supply rather than trying to use a current power source that may run your radio. This advice is given in the instructions from Heil. After installation in the house my next big hurdle was RF feeding into the speaker. Fortunately I had several snap on ferrite beads. These are also recommended in the manual. And yes I had to ground the speaker. (Special cable included that actually plugs into the external speaker jack in the back of the speaker). One other problem I noted in my mobile operation is that if you get an echoing or reverb sound as you turn up the TONE control itís probably a grounding issue.

I hope this review helps. Most of these you see on EBAY are because of size and problems in operation that I experienced. Iíve caught a few people being misleading in their descriptions until I probed a little and asked certain questions about their operation. I will say Iím happy with the speaker now. I do use the AMCOM Clear Speech speaker in the car and was hoping to make the Heil speaker work mobile but was unable to. I know others have so itís not the speaker. This speaker is NOT a plug and play speaker like the AMCOM speakers.

KB3IFH Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2005 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Not a plug and play speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

W9ZB Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2005 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Clear Speech RFI Problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own the new Heil Clear Speech as well as the SGC ADSP2 and I have problems with RF pick up on both of them, whether in the shack or in the mobile. I got the SGC unit for mobile operation in my RV, but struggled with the RF problems, so bought the Clear Speech after trying a friend's earlier model which seemed clean of RF pick up. The Heil unit has severe RF pick up, probably due to the added circuitry, and now I've had to do some drastic things to allow it's use. I've communicated with Bob, and tried all his suggested fixes, but they don't work for all bands and all enviornments, especially mobile, where you can't define a "good ground". In the case of the SGC, I removed all the electronics from it's little plastic speaker box and installed them in a cast metal RCA speaker housing and that improved things some. I finally minimized the problem by bringing out an unused "volume control" line from the SGC processor to the Icom 706 keying line to mute the speaker when transmitting. For the Heil Clear Speech, I have added a relay in series with the speaker to cut it out when transmitting, and drive it with a home-brew interface circuit connected to the 706 keying line. After all this struggle, the performance of the Heil Clear Speech is very good, with a wider, smoother audio bandwidth. The SGC unit has a rather annnoying peak in response, which has required a careful selection of external speaker to make it as useful as the Clear Speech. I use them both now, especially when operating a VHF contest, with one on the 6 Meter receiver, and the other on the 2 Meter receiver.

N0JSN Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2005 16:11 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC SOUND  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WHAT A GREAT SPEAKER, BOB HEIL HAS DONE IT AGAIN.THIS SPEAKER HAS EVERYTHING 4 LEVELS OF DSP, A TONE AND VOLUME CONTROL, ON OFF SWITCH AND A RED AND GREEN LED THAT CHANGES FROM GREEN TO RED IF YOUR RECIEVER VOLUME IS HITTING THE SPEAKER TOO HARD. SOME PEOPLE MIGHT SAY ITS A LITTLE BIG, BUT DO YOU WANT GOOD AUDIO OR DO YOU WANT SOMTHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE A TIN CAN? PLENTY OF GREAT AUDIO. AND YOU GUYS WITH THE OLD NON DSP RIGS, WAIT TILL YOU PLUG THIS SPEAKER INTO THE OLD RIGS. IF WE WOULD HAVE HAD A SPEAKER LIKE THIS TEN YEARS AGO I GUESS WE WOULD'NT HAVE HAD TO BUY THESE NEWER DSP RIGS. BOB HEIL HAS REALLY MADE SOME FANTASTIC IMPROVEMENTS TO THE CLEAR SPEECH. GREAT JOB BOB AND KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO SO WELL!

WT7T Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2005 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Heil Sound Clearspeech to add to my brand new Drake R8B. The R8B didn't eliminate noise as well as my Kenwood TS2000X, so I thought external audio DSP might help. The review in CW June 2005 convinced me to give it a try.

I am completely pleased. I've tried it on CW, SSB and SWL Broadcast, and in every situation it cleans up the signal, removes atmospheric noise, and does just what I wanted.

I have not tried it mobile so I have no idea about what it does for ignition noise. I have not tried it while transmitting, so I haven't had to wrestle with any feedback loops. I just got it for one purpose, improving my listening pleasure with my R8B, and it does that wonderfully.

In addition, I like the clean 5 watts audio output.

Barry
WT7T

KC5LVW Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2005 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Low Banders Get One!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, Bob does it agin, not perfect but what an improvement over our other choices. You MUST use seperate power supplis if you want to use the suggestedf settings because of a feedback loop situation, I opted for a waal-wart and all is well. I wanted help for 80M and 160M especially during summer and THIS UMIT WORKS. Again, not perfect but sure is going to makr the low bands more pleasing this summer compared to the OEM radio folks offerings.