Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2,980
Description: Amplifier, HF + 6m 1.5KW Solid State
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX.

K3GC Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2017 18:33 Send this review to a friend
5 Year update  Time owned: more than 12 months
My THP HL-1.5KFX is performing as well after 5 years as when it was new. The protection circuits perform flawlessly. I should know, I have used them often enough. :)
The only flaw was fan noise and that has a remedy. Find the fan controller (located under the high voltage plate). It has high speed and low speed pots.
I have mine turned down to a whisper. An important caveat for those who wish to try this. I would only attempt it only if your usage is low with little or no high demand. It is perfect for me so far but YMMV. I am a DXer SSB only do I don't push it hard.

KH6AFJ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 17:53 Send this review to a friend
No more hot tubes !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used, and had for several years now, hooked up with Yaesu FT-2000. Never had even a flutter from this amplifier. Changed the fan speed, according to the schematic, so it just whispers now, until long transmit on full power. Just bought a Kenwood TS-990S, and will let you know how it operates with that model radio. Another plus, is that these amps hold their value, as they are known for not "breaking down". So, do not be afraid to purchase one. 73's from Big Island Hawaii.
p.s. I formerly had the 1.2 Tokyo unit, and it was a 5 also.

W5FRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2015 17:08 Send this review to a friend
WORK HORSE AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased it NEW in 2010 and still no issues. Just turn it on and select band (automatically selected by TenTec OrionII in Yaesu position)
it is ready to go. I also have the HC-1.5Kat auto-tuner. Both are work horses. Really reliable. Highly recommend anyone to use. Clean sound and signal. It can run a kilowatt on 160 thru and including 6 meters. Imagine running 1000 watts on 6 meters. Man what a signal!! 73's

N1TCH Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2015 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I traded an Acom 1000 for the no tune and auto band switching of the THP to use with my YaesuFTdx3000. The only issue that I have is the noisy cooling fan. Turn it on, switch to operate and you're good to go.

VE2XX Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amplifier, a true workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the amp for > 5 yrs , bought it mainly for the 6M feature, I have to say its one of the best amps I have ever owned , its a workhorse, once you have tasted an sspa there is no way you want to go back to a manual tunable amp, with an external auto tuner its just perfect, any band anytime..
Puts out good clean power. THP has always been a great product. Don't be afraid to buy a used amp even if the company is defunct , extremely well built and will offer yrs of reliable use.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 08:43 Send this review to a friend
2 Year + Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Runs and runs and runs....
Okay it's not a Timex, however, this small foot print Kiil-0-watt amp is my choice for rag-chewing, contest, CW. She has never, ever missed a beat. Changing bands, I punch in my selection on my FT 2000, look over and she is there waiting, SWEEET.
I work a bunch of digital RTTY, PSK and the like, with 35 watts. I turn on the amp for rag-chewing and I get 700 watts out. If I run the drive up to 95 watts I hit most times 1200.

Since my earlier review Tokyo HP has filed Chapter 7. SO !! Even if they break I am not selling this amp. Always a place somewhere to get things fixed. I do run this baby daily on 240V, I love her.

Keep our troops in your prayers.
God bless the USA

NJ5G Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2014 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Orphan? Repairs?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the amp for over a year now. It just worked and its protection circuits kept any lapse on my part from smoking it. Right now when I turn the amp off my transceiver "hears" fine but when I switch the amp on I lose reception. Something is not right. This happened briefly before and I attributed it to too many moving parts (all the switches I throw to control remote coax switches etc.)

The problem is back and I have now isolated the problem to the amp. Power on breaks the antenna feed to the transceiver and power off permits the transceiver to "see" the antenna.

Now how to find good service for this orphan??
It WAS a terrific amp. I rate it a 4. If it hadn't developed this problem I would rate it a 5+++.

N1BNC Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and slick!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amplifier runs beautifully and quietly. It is the most uneventful object in the RF line. It changes bands with the TS590 like magic. I have it set off to the side because I don't need to look at it because it just works so well. The 6 meter feature is a nice touch and the 2nd antenna option brings 6 to the amp without an antenna switch.

It is a really slick amp!

It is sad they went chapter 7.

W9OWO Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 12:37 Send this review to a friend
A true "gem"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My THP HL-1.5 more than lives up to all the praise in the other reviews. I use it with my Yaesu FT-950 and a Palstar HF AUTO. The amp and tuner are wonderful companions and the auto bandswitching from the FT-950 is the "icing on the cake." I just acquired a Ten Tec Orion II and I have to give up the auto bandswitching until I can get a data converter built for it- the O2 doesn't "speak Japanese" and neither THP nor Ten Tec seem interested enough to make it easy. None the less, I'd do it all again.

VE3CZF Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned well over a year now and just love the amp. Certainly ease of operation and very quiet. Could never go back to tube amps