Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2,980
Description: Amplifier, HF + 6m 1.5KW Solid State
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX.

NJ5G Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2014 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Orphan? Repairs?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the amp for over a year now. It just worked and its protection circuits kept any lapse on my part from smoking it. Right now when I turn the amp off my transceiver "hears" fine but when I switch the amp on I lose reception. Something is not right. This happened briefly before and I attributed it to too many moving parts (all the switches I throw to control remote coax switches etc.)

The problem is back and I have now isolated the problem to the amp. Power on breaks the antenna feed to the transceiver and power off permits the transceiver to "see" the antenna.

Now how to find good service for this orphan??
It WAS a terrific amp. I rate it a 4. If it hadn't developed this problem I would rate it a 5+++.

N1BNC Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and slick!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amplifier runs beautifully and quietly. It is the most uneventful object in the RF line. It changes bands with the TS590 like magic. I have it set off to the side because I don't need to look at it because it just works so well. The 6 meter feature is a nice touch and the 2nd antenna option brings 6 to the amp without an antenna switch.

It is a really slick amp!

It is sad they went chapter 7.

W9OWO Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 12:37 Send this review to a friend
A true "gem"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My THP HL-1.5 more than lives up to all the praise in the other reviews. I use it with my Yaesu FT-950 and a Palstar HF AUTO. The amp and tuner are wonderful companions and the auto bandswitching from the FT-950 is the "icing on the cake." I just acquired a Ten Tec Orion II and I have to give up the auto bandswitching until I can get a data converter built for it- the O2 doesn't "speak Japanese" and neither THP nor Ten Tec seem interested enough to make it easy. None the less, I'd do it all again.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2012 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Work's for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

Ran the devil out of her the first couple week's, awesome. Every since dose exactly what she is suppose to. Alc connected, the audio runs peaks between 800 to 1100.
Sitting right between my ft2k and ft-1000mp.
Made my own switch for rig selection changeover, credit to Tom k2ese Idea.

Small package, very quiet unit, plenty power, she is just SWEET.... Now here is the question, would I buy it again? in a heartbeat.
Oh, BTW hears through when on, in-stby or off.
The guy having issues, I'd check my data cable.
God Bless Our Troops.

VE3CZF Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned well over a year now and just love the amp. Certainly ease of operation and very quiet. Could never go back to tube amps

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 13:10 Send this review to a friend
It simply works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had my HL-1.5 for a few weeks but it is quite simply great. I wanted a bit more power and 6m coverage so it was time to upgrade from my trusty ALS-600 and what an upgrade it is.
Fit and finish are superlative, the craftsmanship is obvious throughout. As with any solid state amp it is sensitive to SWR but the ALS provides safety.

I have ordered the matching tuner so I will have near perfect protection and 1.1 on all bands.
The only possible negative is price but, hey you get what you pay for and in this case you get a lot.

KO0Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2011 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased the HL-1.5KFX about a year ago. I used it almost daily for DXing and could not be happier. I have it connected to my Ten Tec Orion II, and made the interface board to go from Ten Tec to Yaesu (very easy circuit) rather than purchase one.

I had one question in setting the appropriate voltage for my unit due to what the power company delivers (too high), and the THP engineer responded from Tokyo in less than a day.

TI7N5BEK Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2011 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Live in Costa Rica and needed an amp. that was reliable. There were no HL-1.5 amps in the states,because of earthquake in Japan, except one that had been repaired because of case damage. Since I had a trip planned to LA I had it shipped there and brought it back to Central America. The amp. worked great except the ALC was a no show. I had several emails to and from the factory and they sent parts to solve the problem. Great company, service, people and great amp.(Problem was incorrect wiring of new ALC pot replaced by tech. in the states)

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this amp from Array Solutions about a year ago and was traveling so much I did not have time to install a 240vac line.
But now that we have moved into a new house with dedicated ac lines to the ham shack, I have been using the amp for about 3 months and I'm very happy with it.
Support from Array Solutions has been great even after their franchise was unfortunately terminated. I had a problem getting the ptt working (my setup error) and Jay helped me get it going.

Pros: I won't repeat all of the good stuff said about this amp, but to me the best is convenience. Auto band switch and auto tune - can't beat it. Plus, I think after all of my amp research that it is a good value for the money compared to the competition.
The one time I took the covers off, I was very impressed with the build quality - it doesn't get much better than this.

Cons: the fan noise level could bother some folks. I usually use a headset so I don't hear it, but if you didn't it would be noticeable. Not really objectionable, but you would hear it.

I have made my share of mistakes with this amp but it has always kicked in it's protection circuits and let me know, then after a power cycle, it just keeps on ticking.

Would definitely buy it again.

Wayne
K4ELO

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Over 3 1/2 years with nary a glitch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp for over 3 1/2 years, use it pretty much every day and in contests....never skipped a beat.

The previous review has some mis-information. The amp does not have to always be turned on if you want to run barefoot. If it's turned off or in standby mode, the xvcr output is automatically fed through to the antenna. I've always used Icom radios with it, but I can't imagine Yaesu would be any different. The amp is 1 KW PEP (SSB), with a CW carrier at 900 watts, when driven with a nominal 80-85 watts. I've always been able to achieve these ratings. The power output will vary, however, with band changes, SWR, and line voltage variations, as the power supply is linear.

I've reviewed this amp before, and haven't changed my 5/5 opinion as to its' convenience, reliability, construction, and overall satisfaction with its' performance.

73, Bob, K7JQ