Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2,980
Description: Amplifier, HF + 6m 1.5KW Solid State
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX.

TI7N5BEK Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2011 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Live in Costa Rica and needed an amp. that was reliable. There were no HL-1.5 amps in the states,because of earthquake in Japan, except one that had been repaired because of case damage. Since I had a trip planned to LA I had it shipped there and brought it back to Central America. The amp. worked great except the ALC was a no show. I had several emails to and from the factory and they sent parts to solve the problem. Great company, service, people and great amp.(Problem was incorrect wiring of new ALC pot replaced by tech. in the states)

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this amp from Array Solutions about a year ago and was traveling so much I did not have time to install a 240vac line.
But now that we have moved into a new house with dedicated ac lines to the ham shack, I have been using the amp for about 3 months and I'm very happy with it.
Support from Array Solutions has been great even after their franchise was unfortunately terminated. I had a problem getting the ptt working (my setup error) and Jay helped me get it going.

Pros: I won't repeat all of the good stuff said about this amp, but to me the best is convenience. Auto band switch and auto tune - can't beat it. Plus, I think after all of my amp research that it is a good value for the money compared to the competition.
The one time I took the covers off, I was very impressed with the build quality - it doesn't get much better than this.

Cons: the fan noise level could bother some folks. I usually use a headset so I don't hear it, but if you didn't it would be noticeable. Not really objectionable, but you would hear it.

I have made my share of mistakes with this amp but it has always kicked in it's protection circuits and let me know, then after a power cycle, it just keeps on ticking.

Would definitely buy it again.

Wayne
K4ELO

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Over 3 1/2 years with nary a glitch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp for over 3 1/2 years, use it pretty much every day and in contests....never skipped a beat.

The previous review has some mis-information. The amp does not have to always be turned on if you want to run barefoot. If it's turned off or in standby mode, the xvcr output is automatically fed through to the antenna. I've always used Icom radios with it, but I can't imagine Yaesu would be any different. The amp is 1 KW PEP (SSB), with a CW carrier at 900 watts, when driven with a nominal 80-85 watts. I've always been able to achieve these ratings. The power output will vary, however, with band changes, SWR, and line voltage variations, as the power supply is linear.

I've reviewed this amp before, and haven't changed my 5/5 opinion as to its' convenience, reliability, construction, and overall satisfaction with its' performance.

73, Bob, K7JQ

N7UF Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This my first experience with a solid state amp. I have used tube amplifiers for more than four decades. I purchased this amp from Array Solutions. The amp was plug and play when it arrived with the 240 volt plug installed, (free shipping was very nice also) Bob at AS was very helpful and took the time to answer my questions about this amp. If you are interested in a Tokyo High Power amp, consider Array Solutions, their customer service is very good and Jay and Bob are the best.

The quality of this THP HL-1.5KFX is excellent. It is very well built and very easy to set up and operate. The auto band switching is a very nice feature. The amp came with a cable that connected my FT1000MP Mk5 with the amp via the data plug, set the front control knob to Yeasu and you are ready to go, with no tuning required.
The amp also has 6 meters, (I get 650 watts on 6) so another plus if you are a fan of the magic band. The cooling fan has several speeds. I never noticed the fan as it is really quite, I just noticed the fan LED had lighted, as it went to a higher speed. If the cooling fan goes to the highest setting, it will be noticed it as it is loud; at least that is what I was told. This amp also has a lot of protective feature to save the finals in case of a mistake, (hopefully I will not make.)

There are a couple of feature about this amp I really dislike, it has to be turned on all the time or the connected antennas do not work and I cannot run my FT1000MP MK5 bear foot. There are times when 150/200 watts is all that is needed, and I just donít want to run the amp. The other side of the coin as Bob at AS pointed out to me, if I run the amp and Mk5 together, at 200/300 watts, I am not beating up the finals on the Mk5 or the THP amp, a good point. It only takes about 12 watts for a little over 350 watts out.

THP sells the HL-1.5KFX as a 1KW amp. I get 850/900 watts on all bands measured on my Palstar SWR/watt meter. Not quite a KW, but an extra 100 watts would never be noticed on the air anyway. I rate this amp at 5/5 for quality and most features, other than the dislikes I stated above. It is an expensive amp, but so are Yaesu and Icomís solid state 1KW amps. To me it was worth the money for the auto band switching and no tune features, plus 6 meters is an added bonus. This amp is a keeper, and I am sure I will learn to live with the negatives. I will do an update on this amp in a few months when I see how it holds up to the every day world of Amateur Radio.

VE3CZF Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 04:38 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in the Caribbean as J6/VE3CZF and wanted an amp that had a good reputation and wanted to buy it off a good dealer. I have both requirements filled. Array Solutions are terrific to deal with and the amp is a work of art. Plug and play, quiet and nice with no tune and automatic band changing. Shipped well and arrived promptly. Highly recommended.

N3WAK Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great amp. Extremely good customer service from Bob and Jay at Array Solutions. Both spent a lot of time answering my questions, and Bob spent a lot of time helping me to troubleshoot an issue that arose when using my Drake TR5 as exciter. The THP amp works flawlessly with my Icom 746pro, and now works FB with my TR5 in SSB mode.

I strongly recommend the amp, and emphatically recommend Array Solutions. They set the amp up for you and test it. Like I said, in my case they had the time to do a lot of hand holding. Truthfully, I could have saved $50 by buying it somewhere else...but they set up the amp and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. My money was very well spent at Array Solutions.

If you get this amp, do what I did first: get your shack wired for 240v. What you get: full output power. What you also get: no more flickering lights. Do it right. You will also need a tuner if your SWR is above 1.8:1, which is where the amp trips. I have a couple of manual tuners, but am thinking of going with an MFJ 998 in the near future.

I'll be a repeat customer at AS.

KM6EG Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2010 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Happy with HL-1.5KFX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These are my first impressions, and will post again in a year: Well made amp, inside and out; Easy set-up; Good support from dealer Array Solutions. Auto-bandswitching and 6-meter operation matched my rig. Interfacing with the FT-950's 10-pin mini DIN was easy with W7YEN's cable (eBay). I originally looked at tube amps, but the scarcity of quality-made glass tubes was a big negative to me.

HK4CZE Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent A+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having had a really bad experience with the Expert, which developed a major power supply problem -Never a word of support from the factory- because of my posting here, but arrogant words from the owner,- I continued with my enthusiasm to get myself a nice a solid state amplifier. I am so glad I got my money back for the previously mentioned one , and went the THP way.

Having a top brand tube amp (Alpha), I thought the solid state idea would translate into a rather fragile noisy amp ( Noisy, yes the european competition is really noisy when you run it at full power). Am I surprised, this pet really puts out 850-900W on all bands -60 65 W in- runs absolutely quite, even during long " rag chew" type of qso, and this is something because I am at a very high altitude ASL (7000F).
A great feature is that you can adjust the Txfr taps (primary-secondary) to suit your line voltage in a very accurate way, so the PS works exactly as is required. The construction inside is amazing, excellent quality and perfection throughout.
Finally, I received a supper nice support from Bob W5OV with Array solutions who was willing to please my order needs in all aspects. Tom Run W5RUN also provided the technical support that I wanted to help my purchase, Mr Nobuki at the JA headquarters did too.
In summary if your are looking for an excellent quality solid state amp that runs quite (to me this is really important most SS amps are noisy) with an excellent support this is it.

Jorge HK4CZE

K8RI Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2010 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Good solid state amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First although some one claimed this is a 1.5KW amp, it is a 1KW PEP/CW out 160-10 amp with 800 watts out on 6-meters.

I purchased it from HRO early on and have had no problems with it. However hooking it up to one of the Yaesu FT897's is a royal pain in the back side as you will have to make up cables using the mini-DIN connectors for the radio and figure out which pins on one end to to what pins on the other end by looking up the pin-out for the larger Yaesu transceivers so I see the manual as a bit lacking. I purchased some Apple printer cables which meant I didn't have to work with the mini-DINs to make up cables for the 897D. The voltage taps are important too during set up.

Once the HL-1.5Kfx is hooked up and running with either the FT8997D, or the Icom 756Pro (or Icom 7000) using the Icom interface every thing works as advertised. the auto band switching, no tune is great. Unfortunately an antenna/line tuner is almost mandatory unless you operate on the same areas on each band. The amp is very sensitive to SWR as others have already noted. Run it into a 1:1 or even 1.1:1 and it puts out the rated power while running cool and quiet. By the time the SWR hits 1.3:1 the output will be down between 100 and 200 watts. (Auto tuners are wonderful and solid state amps make you appreciate them)
It's a great, medium power 160-6 amp.

KF5SA Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Reliability problem resolved  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It seems there was a problem with a part on the fan control board. They sent me a new board and it's been working great. I can certainly recommend this amp as well as the service I received from HRO and THP.