Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2,980
Description: Amplifier, HF + 6m 1.5KW Solid State
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX.

N7UF Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This my first experience with a solid state amp. I have used tube amplifiers for more than four decades. I purchased this amp from Array Solutions. The amp was plug and play when it arrived with the 240 volt plug installed, (free shipping was very nice also) Bob at AS was very helpful and took the time to answer my questions about this amp. If you are interested in a Tokyo High Power amp, consider Array Solutions, their customer service is very good and Jay and Bob are the best.

The quality of this THP HL-1.5KFX is excellent. It is very well built and very easy to set up and operate. The auto band switching is a very nice feature. The amp came with a cable that connected my FT1000MP Mk5 with the amp via the data plug, set the front control knob to Yeasu and you are ready to go, with no tuning required.
The amp also has 6 meters, (I get 650 watts on 6) so another plus if you are a fan of the magic band. The cooling fan has several speeds. I never noticed the fan as it is really quite, I just noticed the fan LED had lighted, as it went to a higher speed. If the cooling fan goes to the highest setting, it will be noticed it as it is loud; at least that is what I was told. This amp also has a lot of protective feature to save the finals in case of a mistake, (hopefully I will not make.)

There are a couple of feature about this amp I really dislike, it has to be turned on all the time or the connected antennas do not work and I cannot run my FT1000MP MK5 bear foot. There are times when 150/200 watts is all that is needed, and I just donít want to run the amp. The other side of the coin as Bob at AS pointed out to me, if I run the amp and Mk5 together, at 200/300 watts, I am not beating up the finals on the Mk5 or the THP amp, a good point. It only takes about 12 watts for a little over 350 watts out.

THP sells the HL-1.5KFX as a 1KW amp. I get 850/900 watts on all bands measured on my Palstar SWR/watt meter. Not quite a KW, but an extra 100 watts would never be noticed on the air anyway. I rate this amp at 5/5 for quality and most features, other than the dislikes I stated above. It is an expensive amp, but so are Yaesu and Icomís solid state 1KW amps. To me it was worth the money for the auto band switching and no tune features, plus 6 meters is an added bonus. This amp is a keeper, and I am sure I will learn to live with the negatives. I will do an update on this amp in a few months when I see how it holds up to the every day world of Amateur Radio.

VE3CZF Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 04:38 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in the Caribbean as J6/VE3CZF and wanted an amp that had a good reputation and wanted to buy it off a good dealer. I have both requirements filled. Array Solutions are terrific to deal with and the amp is a work of art. Plug and play, quiet and nice with no tune and automatic band changing. Shipped well and arrived promptly. Highly recommended.

N3WAK Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great amp. Extremely good customer service from Bob and Jay at Array Solutions. Both spent a lot of time answering my questions, and Bob spent a lot of time helping me to troubleshoot an issue that arose when using my Drake TR5 as exciter. The THP amp works flawlessly with my Icom 746pro, and now works FB with my TR5 in SSB mode.

I strongly recommend the amp, and emphatically recommend Array Solutions. They set the amp up for you and test it. Like I said, in my case they had the time to do a lot of hand holding. Truthfully, I could have saved $50 by buying it somewhere else...but they set up the amp and spent a lot of time on the phone with me. My money was very well spent at Array Solutions.

If you get this amp, do what I did first: get your shack wired for 240v. What you get: full output power. What you also get: no more flickering lights. Do it right. You will also need a tuner if your SWR is above 1.8:1, which is where the amp trips. I have a couple of manual tuners, but am thinking of going with an MFJ 998 in the near future.

I'll be a repeat customer at AS.

KM6EG Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2010 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Happy with HL-1.5KFX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These are my first impressions, and will post again in a year: Well made amp, inside and out; Easy set-up; Good support from dealer Array Solutions. Auto-bandswitching and 6-meter operation matched my rig. Interfacing with the FT-950's 10-pin mini DIN was easy with W7YEN's cable (eBay). I originally looked at tube amps, but the scarcity of quality-made glass tubes was a big negative to me.

HK4CZE Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent A+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having had a really bad experience with the Expert, which developed a major power supply problem -Never a word of support from the factory- because of my posting here, but arrogant words from the owner,- I continued with my enthusiasm to get myself a nice a solid state amplifier. I am so glad I got my money back for the previously mentioned one , and went the THP way.

Having a top brand tube amp (Alpha), I thought the solid state idea would translate into a rather fragile noisy amp ( Noisy, yes the european competition is really noisy when you run it at full power). Am I surprised, this pet really puts out 850-900W on all bands -60 65 W in- runs absolutely quite, even during long " rag chew" type of qso, and this is something because I am at a very high altitude ASL (7000F).
A great feature is that you can adjust the Txfr taps (primary-secondary) to suit your line voltage in a very accurate way, so the PS works exactly as is required. The construction inside is amazing, excellent quality and perfection throughout.
Finally, I received a supper nice support from Bob W5OV with Array solutions who was willing to please my order needs in all aspects. Tom Run W5RUN also provided the technical support that I wanted to help my purchase, Mr Nobuki at the JA headquarters did too.
In summary if your are looking for an excellent quality solid state amp that runs quite (to me this is really important most SS amps are noisy) with an excellent support this is it.

Jorge HK4CZE

K8RI Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2010 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Good solid state amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First although some one claimed this is a 1.5KW amp, it is a 1KW PEP/CW out 160-10 amp with 800 watts out on 6-meters.

I purchased it from HRO early on and have had no problems with it. However hooking it up to one of the Yaesu FT897's is a royal pain in the back side as you will have to make up cables using the mini-DIN connectors for the radio and figure out which pins on one end to to what pins on the other end by looking up the pin-out for the larger Yaesu transceivers so I see the manual as a bit lacking. I purchased some Apple printer cables which meant I didn't have to work with the mini-DINs to make up cables for the 897D. The voltage taps are important too during set up.

Once the HL-1.5Kfx is hooked up and running with either the FT8997D, or the Icom 756Pro (or Icom 7000) using the Icom interface every thing works as advertised. the auto band switching, no tune is great. Unfortunately an antenna/line tuner is almost mandatory unless you operate on the same areas on each band. The amp is very sensitive to SWR as others have already noted. Run it into a 1:1 or even 1.1:1 and it puts out the rated power while running cool and quiet. By the time the SWR hits 1.3:1 the output will be down between 100 and 200 watts. (Auto tuners are wonderful and solid state amps make you appreciate them)
It's a great, medium power 160-6 amp.

KF5SA Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Reliability problem resolved  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It seems there was a problem with a part on the fan control board. They sent me a new board and it's been working great. I can certainly recommend this amp as well as the service I received from HRO and THP.

KF5SA Rating: 2/5 Nov 20, 2009 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Great amp but possible reliability problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much research, including reading these reviews several times, I purchased the HL-1.5KFX in September. I loved it until my 18th QSO when the fan suddenly roared then quit completely. I tried to talk to someone at AVSL but it's extremely difficult to reach a real human there. HRO tech support was very helpful and sent me a replacement fan control board and fan. That didn't help - still no fan. Cost to send it in is $80 plus. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper after spending this much money and having it fail within 60 days after very light usage. I'll update this review after it's repaired and I've used for a several more months.

K8ESQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2009 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Very nice amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the HL-1.5KFX at Dayton from Array Solutions. This amp Replaced my Heathkit SB-1000. The amp is whisper quiet compared to the SB-1000. I drive it with an Icom 756 PRO II and have the Array Solutions Bandmaster to automatically switch antennas and the Palstar AT-AUTO antenna tuner. The system works together flawlessly, switch bands and transmit (listen first of course).
The HL-1.5KFX is very sensitive to high SWR and I have tripped the protection circuit a few times, but it does protect the finals.
The guys at Array Solutions are great to work with too.

K9UHF Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2009 19:08 Send this review to a friend
A great amp.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had no problems with the amp.Love it 1000watts out on most bands.