Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | QSL MAKER Help

Reviews Summary for QSL MAKER
QSL MAKER Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: A QSL software program that allows you to create your own QSL CARD for printing on your own computer.

You can write your own review of the QSL MAKER.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Easy cheap option  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is free software. I got V2.4 issue. It seems to work fine for my purposes. My QSL usage is sporadic and rare right now. Therefore I don't want to spend up front for a huge stack of commercial cards and send out two or so a year. This does have color options for text and background in the basic card. You can add a photo background if the aspect ratio is the same as the card shape. I have found no way to add clip art or decoration besides the photo background. If you want to be super cheap, get some brightly colored card stock and print everything in black, thus saving your expensive color cartridge. Looks like a vintage card that way, and use fancy bold lettering. Simple but attractive.

TDIGENNARO Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2008 15:31 Send this review to a friend
get right to it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can have a nice (or very nice) QSL card within a half an hour. Providing a nice image for the background is up to you - as it should be.
You have to be a bit creative with the color of the bitmap image for the background - trial and error will get you a nice card.
The price is right!

DH5JBR Rating: 2/5 Jul 25, 2008 00:57 Send this review to a friend
A little inflexible and buggy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
All that has been said so far is true to a certain extent. What with our German paper being a bit longer, I can even get 4 cards on a sheet.

Being the island-hopper, I tried to make do with a one-size-fits-all design, which was not accepted by the check-points, because the island name was not printed (though the actual island was!). I then printed all the island names onto the card and ticked it when applicable and put up to six QSOs onto the one double-sized card and checkpoints found it impossible to identify the individual QSOs which were numbered 1..6.

So, QSL-maker is my way out of this and I can have individually designed cards for each island (and there are 30 of them with about 50 QTHs) even if there are only a couple of dozen QSOs to each one. I wonder what the checkpoints have to say about my printing my signature instead of writing it myself.

What gets lost for me with that ADIF import feature is the ability to associate log portions with the individual card layout. I would like to get the log portion saved with the file name of the card.

With me entering the QSO data from my paper log, the user interface could be more flexible, like being able to insert at the top instead of having to scroll to the bottom for each new entry and being able to enlarge the input window and being able to copy identical parts of entries (day, mode, power) more easily.

The paper layout defaults to portrait and I have to remember to put it to landscape myself each time (because I can get four cards on one A4-sheet if I print them in landscape format).

(For those who wonder why the German DIN paper sizes are that funny, here is the answer: The base of the system is a sheet size "A0" which is one square meter in the aspect ratio 1:sqrt(2), cutting that in half yields the same aspect ratio and half a square meter or "A1" and so on with "A2", "A3" (for which there are already inexpensive copiers) and "A4" which resembles letter size in dimension, but is exactly 1/16th of a square meter and with paper weighing 80g/m2 it will weigh 5 grams. The line does go on to "A5", "A6(resmbles QSL size" which are on sale as school jotters. Smaller sizes are identifiable but are impractical. It is all rather metric and organized, while American sizes are just "a good idea at the time".)

The QSL data font defaults to Times black and even if I have saved a file with a different font (Arial narrow bold 18 points) this is lost.

This is all petty stuff and can be worked around and the merits of the program far outweigh these little qualms.

I do, however, have a problem that the first page of a print job does not accept changes in font size and parts or the whole of the first sheet is printed in the large font of the call sign ->now and again<- and there is no telling when. Printing out page one of a multi-page print job will sometimes be ok and sometimes it won´t.

As has been said before ink and cardboard stock are expensive and having to print pages over and over again is very unnerving.

The printer prints anything else without ANY incident.

The author of the program has been informed in detail.

This was using version 2.2. I do know that there is a version 2.4 out, but that did not even install. I will try it on another computer and report back.

Considering the sales price - which is nothing - my rating would go up to 3 if it would print ok ALL THE TIME, up to 4 if manual data entry would be facilitated and defaults could be saved and up to 5 if log data could be associated with cards. A simple identification by time is not sufficient, since I do go back to these islands and would append the log to the one of the previous year.

For people who just need a single card layout and a couple of card a month it is a different story and the rating can go up if that printing issue does not show in your system configuration. Worth a try!

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2007 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Really, really nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very nice FREE program. You can produce some quite good cards for special occasions, or using card stock paper you make make very usable budget cards. Use a good paper cutter (rotary is ideal).

If you use a lot of cards, buy some nice ones. Ink and photo paper add up quickly. I bought 1500 beautiful custom QSL's from IT9EJW for less than $200, including shipping. That's about USD $0.135 each. (See IT9EJW's review here on eHam.) But many, many hams will never use up 1500 cards. If you just need a few every now and then, this is IT!

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2007 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was getting ready to order more QSL's to return the few I get every month from people needing my state, county, or grid. I really don't need that many and was looking at the cost as money down the drain till I saw this neat software package.

Just upzip the files to your harddrive, run setup and in seconds you have a fairly powerful little program. I have made a nice looking QSL with my Yagi as the background, and also another one for mobile QSO's with a FT-857D as the background. Now if you're one of these types who goes thru 100's of QSL's per month you might want to buy in bulk as ink jet cartridges can get expensive, but if you only need a few cards per month, this is for you.

I picked up some medium grade photo paper, fairly thick, for 4 dollar a pk of 12, I can get 3 QSL's per page, so that's $4 per 36 photo quality QSL's not counting INK,

I like the fact the PC fills in the QSO info too, nothing to mess up with my crummy handwriting, plus changing rigs one the QSL is quite easy now too,

Try it, you'll like it!

K2GW Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2005 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using QSL Maker for five years now. In fact, every one of the few thousand QSL's I've sent have been made using this software. It's well done and FREE!

I load the my ADIF output file from Logger into QSLMaker and print each full color QSL card with the contact info already entered onto card stock on my inkjet printer. The card stock handles 3 QSL's per letter sized sheet which I then cut apart on a paper cutter.

The only tricky part is first setting up any custom background graphics. Any custom graphics you bring in must be in the appropriate aspect ratio of a a QSL card. But that's simple once you've done it once.

Even if you already have QSL's already printed, I've used the program with great success for special events and other activities where you don't want to have the expense of printing special QSL's for a short run.

I routinely get a lot of compliments on my QSL cards, so it definitely works!

Gary, K2GW

IK5WQO Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2005 12:21 Send this review to a friend
A good QSL software !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use QSL maker to make my qsl cards, and i like it very much! It is easy, light, and you can import your qso to automatically print your qsl cards.
In my opinion it's a nice software : thank you WB8RCR !!!
I hope, in the future, to see updates and new features of QSL maker :-)

KB2QQM Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2004 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Works for Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this QSL Maker program for over 2 years now. I can create my own qsl cards, and print them on my home computer. The program does not have an "exporting" feature, but I found a free program that will allow you to take a screenshot and export as a Bitmap, Jpeg or other file format,which you can take to a professional printer. I have used both programs. You can find the screenshot program at: www.screenprint32.com (version 3.5)
Give them a try..Good Luck and 73 Greg