Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Commercial/Military/Marine adaptable to ham use | ICOM F521-F621 series VHF / UHF Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM F521-F621 series VHF / UHF
ICOM F521-F621 series VHF  / UHF Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $MSRP $450, typical street price
Description: Landmobile transceiver with conventional or trunking options.
More info: http://www.bearcom.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM F521-F621 series VHF / UHF.

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2004 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Compact landmobile enables GMRS and ham in same box  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the F621 UHF version because I needed a type accepted radio which would permit transmit in GMRS and 70 cm ham band from the same rig, which the available 440-490 split does.

My local area Bearcom landmobile shop was very helpful. The salesman who demonstrated the rig for me was a ham previously known to me, but I didn't realize that he was in the commercial landmobile business. Local price in September 2004 for the IC 621 was $350.

I highly recommend that you do ahead and buy the programming software so that you can tweak the set-up yourself, since once you become familiar with the radio you may want to change something.
This was important because as received from Bearcom all my channels were default programmed with DPL and I was unable to hear some repeaters which didn't pass tone through on transmit, or simplex chat without tone. The programming software is intuitive once you get into it and the rig has some useful options not available in ham rigs, such as a boot-up password protect function, selectable programmed transmit inhibit, narrow or wide FM mode, compander, "stun" and "kill" options to disable a stolen or lost radio over the air, etc.

The rig is very solid and absolutely intermod proof. Having 45w RF output on UHF is a plus.
I like the simplicity of a landmobile layout for ARES / RACES use by other hams who aren't "knob twiddlers." Once set up the rig is a lead pipe cinch to use. Get one for your XYL.