Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Linear AMP UK Balanced Super Tuner (Z Match) Help

Reviews Summary for Linear AMP UK Balanced Super Tuner (Z Match)
Linear AMP UK Balanced Super Tuner (Z Match) Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Like the KW Ezee-match there is no 'lossy' ferrite balun and also there is no messy roller coaster - just good quality LC circuits.

The new tuner uses wide spaced capacitors and inductors made of 3mm silver plated copper tube to give the best efficiency. With a 4-position band switch the new tuner is very quick to swap bands ....NO roller coaster to have to tune.

The new tuner will handle most makes of linear amplifiers that will operate up to 1kW O/P.
More info: http://www.lauk.karoo.net/

You can write your own review of the Linear AMP UK Balanced Super Tuner (Z Match).

M0GER Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2011 06:17 Send this review to a friend
second revised review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the much improved MK II with built-in cross-needle meter.

Now that the company is under new ownership I can recommend this fine tuner.
Looks the part, tunes extremely wide loads and the meter is of the cross-needle type, no calibration needed. Yes, It is expensive but I much prefer this to the new range of Palstar tuners. Worth every single penny and probably the finest manual tuner out there now.
The fact that the new owner further improved this tuner needs to be applauded.
I also own three of their linear amplifiers, which are just as good and do the job at a very competative price.
Not much stuff gets manufatured in the UK anymore, great that Linear Amp UK is still out there, keep going guys!

PA1AP Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2009 08:36 Send this review to a friend
technically good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Typical home build type of product unable to scale to mass volume. I bought the unit for a good price (demo unit) so I am happy about the price / quality ratio.

Unit works as expected, tunes all frequencies well and it has stable reading. Returning to previous setting for a particular band is easy when using a small cheat sheet.

SWR meter is indeed questionable and readings are not accurate. One has to question anyway if the swr reading on 50 ohms is what you need. I have put a dual current meter on top of the unit which provides much better indication of proper adjustment as well it confirm equal current into the balanced feederline. I'm considering to incorporate this meter into the unit, replacing the standard swr meter.

On the swr meter reading, yes it is printed on cheap paper. I have replaced the scale for another scale (matching the old reference points) using color printer and photo paper. Now it really looks good.

Usage: very happy and good results
Looks outside: good and even better after replacing the swr meter scale
Looks inside: good quality components, but a little hasty constructed... I had to re-align several components before I was happy. The band switch had to be re-alligned too.

if you like to replace the scale let me know and I will send you the scale ready to print format.

73, pa1ap

G4VVQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2007 00:47 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi all i have one of these tuners, the newer model has by-pass switch on, tunes up well, have to have 12 volt supply to it for the relays, beats roller coasters and switches, good for about 1500 to 2000 watts i think it is, Peter done a mod on mine for Coaxial cable, i think normally they don't have that, Ask hi..73 Fred g4vvq qthr

G4FSU Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2006 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Pricey, but Very Robust  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another variant of the Z-match. Construction is solid and well up to its power rating. Internal switching for 2 separate balanced line feeds.

It matches my 50 metre doublet, and a 40 metre delta loop on all bands 160-10m. As with all Z matches, tuning can be quite sharp. Don't be afraid to ignore the band switch markings either - sometimes the best match is on an adjacent band position. Use whatever L & C ratio is necessary to match feeder length and antenna.

I can't imagine anything replacing it in my shack!

EI3GDB Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2006 13:15 Send this review to a friend
very happy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As i like using open wire feeder on all my dipoles and loops ,replaced my truste fc102 and various baluns, for linear amp uk balanced super tuner ,well i can tell you this much it works great for me tunes almost any thing very simple and quick band change tune for loudest noise key up with a few watts fine tweak and away you go.The build quailty is also good nice wide spaced capacitors,i did notice the pole connectors were a little off line but this was easy fix after all iam a ham and it gave me a chance to look inside did i say chance i mean excuse 73 you wont be disappointed ei3gdb

G4WFQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2005 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Not for me thanks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased brand new from Linear Amp uk.

1. Antenna terminal posts not aligned. Required adjustment to align vertically.
2. Power meter not calibrated on "high" setting. Also power meter didn't appear very "linear".
3. Build quality? ....Copper tube coupling coils looked to be wound in a hurry, ghastly bolt cropper teeth marks and sharp bends. High band coils not spaced neatly.
4. Cabinet....Very short self taping screws "secure?" the top cover. Alignment flimsy.
5. Performance?
Depends what your looking for I guess????
This is the 1st ATU that I've ever known to tune a short doublet antenna on all five of the high hf bands (10m-20m), without spending a whole day trimming feeder length. usually, you can get say 4 out 5 of the high bands to match (eventually!!), but with the linear super tuner, it matched all five bands without any prunning. this is a first in my experience.
How did it perform?
After extensive testing in CQWW rtty contest I concluded something was very wrong! I didn't need to measure the current in each leg or anything else, you just know after a while in a contest that somethings wrong.
After some 4 hours I reverted back to the trusty KW-Ezee match and everything was so much better.
Product was returned for refund.

Conclusion.
Should of been so much better, but just didn't appear to work for me. Your mileage may vary.

a KW-Ezee match or Johnson Viking is much better!

M0TRX Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2004 03:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having previously tuned by doublet using a T match and a 4:1 balun I can say that using the Z match has increased the efficiency of my system and hence the outgoing signal.

The build quality of this ATU is excellent and the wide spaced (6.5mm) capacitors are capable of handling even the American legal power limit (1500W)

Recommended for those who use doublet antennas or windom type antennas.

Merlin Cooper