Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-50M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-50M
Astron RS-50M Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $240.00
Description: Power Supply. 13.8v nominal with volt/amp meters.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-50M.

N4NOO Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2014 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Very hard to beat!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for over 30 years. The only time it is off is when the power fails. Never turned off, never had a problem. Runs the whole shack and various outlets for experiments. You can not go wrong with this supply.

AD4BF Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2013 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Solid Power Supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a solid power supply. No hash, no noise, just reliable. The 5 min on / 5 min off duty cycle isn't really a true 50% cycle but it hasn't presented any problems. This supply runs the whole shack, A 480HX, D710A, and a couple of random 2M and 1.25M sets. I would give it a 5 but the front voltage meter overstates the voltage. It shows 14.5vdc on the supply while my meter puts it at 13.9vdc

AA2HA Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2013 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I read through the reviews, it is apparent that some folks haven't read the actual specs for this, and other Astron supplies. The RS-50 is marketed as "37 Amps continuous, 50 Amps intermittent". However, it clearly states, in the paperwork, and on the rear sticker that these numbers are for "50% duty cycle". I know what you're thinking... how is continuous not continuous? Well, it is continuous at 50% duty cycle. I know what you are thinking now... But, 50% isn't continuous. No, it isn't, but an A-99 antenna isn't 9 dB gain either. (Obviously some creative marketing tools at work.) I suppose the A-99 has 9 dB gain compared to something (like a coat hanger).
When pressed for specifics, I was advised, by Astron, that 50% duty cycle is "5 minutes on, and 5 minutes off." When I inquired what the real-life, continuous current would be (such as in repeater operation) I was advised "probably more like 25 Amps."
Knowing this going in, I have my RS-50M running my repeater at just over 20 amps and it's served me well. I own two RS-35M supplies to run my 100 watt HF radios and VHF, UHF radios; they've been in service for well over 10 years without any issues.
I give a 5 rating for reliability, great tech support, and a well designed supply. But an overall 4 for marketing strategy that would have the casual user mislead. I'd like to see Astron list the real-life continuous current of their supplies so buyers could make a more informed choice for their particular application.

N7UQA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Built to last  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a big fan of Astron power supplies since 1990. I bought mine from the Portland Ham Radio Outlet along with a Kenwood TS-440SAT and MC-60A on 7/27/90. While I no longer have the radio or mic, I still have the power supply and it's been in continuous operation ever since. The neon pilot lamp in the power switch is the only thing that has stopped working.

If you are looking for a good power supply that will last for decades, you can't go wrong with Astron.

KR4BD Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Astron 50-Amp, dual metered supply for nearly 20 years now. I've never had a problem with it or the two (older) 20-Amp Astron supplies I also own. This 50-Amp unit suppies power to my entire station (3 HF rigs [used one at a time, of course], VHF/UHF rigs and their amplifiers). It runs cool and quiet and there's no RF hash---anywhere. It's a very solid performer.

W3DBB Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 07:06 Send this review to a friend
impressive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased RS-50M new in March 2001. Used daily since. This particular example does not have illuminated meters. Powers a Yaesu FT-920 100 Watt SSB XCVR & an Alinco DR-605TQ VHF-UHF mobile rig simultaneously. The RS-50M is substantially oversized for my application.

The power transformer is quiet. Never a problem with voltage regulation in 12 years and counting. Absolutely no RFI generated by this power supply.

The RS-50M survived my stupidity. The power supply wasn't much more than a year old when I touched a grounded 1" braid to the outside of one of the transistors mounted on the side heat sinks, creating a 12V high current mini-arc welder and destroying that transistor and one of the stud rectifiers in the process.

Some quick replacements from Mouser and the RS-50M was back in business. Has run flawlessly since, probably for a good 10-11 years.

Have never seen linear regulated power supplies for amateur use better than Astron's. I have no connection with Astron or anyone selling them.

N4VNV Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
SUPER PRODUCT  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Astron RS-50 has been on for over seven years. I very seldom cut it off. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I have a Kenwood TS-2000, a SGC-231 remote tuner (outdoors) and a West Mountain Radio Digital Noise Reduction Module hooked to it at all times.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 03:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Product! }:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one for many years & it never gave me any problems.Sold it to buy my current power supply which is the ASTRON RS-70M which handles everything I have thrown at it as well.BUILT TOUGH! {:>)

KN3E Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2013 14:56 Send this review to a friend
The Astron failed after three years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed a heavy duty amp to power an Elecraft K3 two meter transverter (output max 10 watts) and a two meter 250 watt (max) amplifier. Since I am a rag chewer I opted to over engineer my power needs by installing a Astron 50M amp supply. What I failed to do was investigate the quality of Astron power supplies. When the power supply failed it put out 22 volts damaging both the amp and the K3. I did some internet research and found that these supplies are generally considered to be of poor quality. In fact if you Google the product you will find a lot of mods available to help correct Astonís design problems. In addition to the supply failing the poorly designed crow bar circuit failed to fire leaving my equipment totally unprotected. In the future I will do a more thorough investigation before I purchase electronic ham gear.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
I Love It, especially the lighted meters.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Aloha!

I've had Astron metered supplies for many years in 2-way radio service, cellular service and ham radio, and have never been disapointed with a one.

Have 2 new ones now, an RS-50M and a VS-70M with lighted meters, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Now that I'm retiring soon, these 2 Astron supplies may well outlast me. I also have an "old" RS-35M that is maybe 8 years old and still works as new, even after many field days and portable ops.

Do yourself a favor, if you need a new supply, always buy one size more than you think you need, and always make it an Astron!

Tommy KH6TA