Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-50M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-50M
Astron RS-50M Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $240.00
Description: Power Supply. 13.8v nominal with volt/amp meters.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-50M.

KN3E Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2013 14:56 Send this review to a friend
The Astron failed after three years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed a heavy duty amp to power an Elecraft K3 two meter transverter (output max 10 watts) and a two meter 250 watt (max) amplifier. Since I am a rag chewer I opted to over engineer my power needs by installing a Astron 50M amp supply. What I failed to do was investigate the quality of Astron power supplies. When the power supply failed it put out 22 volts damaging both the amp and the K3. I did some internet research and found that these supplies are generally considered to be of poor quality. In fact if you Google the product you will find a lot of mods available to help correct Astonís design problems. In addition to the supply failing the poorly designed crow bar circuit failed to fire leaving my equipment totally unprotected. In the future I will do a more thorough investigation before I purchase electronic ham gear.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
I Love It, especially the lighted meters.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Aloha!

I've had Astron metered supplies for many years in 2-way radio service, cellular service and ham radio, and have never been disapointed with a one.

Have 2 new ones now, an RS-50M and a VS-70M with lighted meters, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Now that I'm retiring soon, these 2 Astron supplies may well outlast me. I also have an "old" RS-35M that is maybe 8 years old and still works as new, even after many field days and portable ops.

Do yourself a favor, if you need a new supply, always buy one size more than you think you need, and always make it an Astron!

Tommy KH6TA
Na'alehu, Hawaii

KJ4I Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2011 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Where to start? First of all this thing is heavy and feels solid as a rock. I have only had it for about a month but so far so good. It has no problem supplying my HF rig and several accessories. I wanted the extra amperage as I don't like running power supplies on the edge of their limits. It gets a little warm after it's been on a while but that is expected. I like the lighted meters that Astron has started putting in them. One very minor drawback is that there is no option to turn the meter lights on and off independent from the power supply and Astron says that the bulbs cant be replaced. There is a mod to replace the bulbs or convert them to LED's floating around on the internet that looks pretty simple so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix when the bulbs eventually blow.

FYI: It is normal for the meter lights to dim or flicker when drawing current from the power supply as the lights are wired before the voltage regulation. It is also normal for the Volt meter to take a little while to read the actual voltage of the power supply as it needs some time to warm up before it is most accurate. Fred at Astron verified this when I called him.

In all, this is an excellent power supply. I got mine on sale at Gigaparts with free shipping for just a little over $200. Well worth it for a quality product.

KE5KDT Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2010 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this unit since new in 2006. I leave it on all the time. Recently it fell offline while using my TS-480HX (40 amps). I could cycle the power and it would come back but quickly fall off again. I called Astron service and FRED was great. I didn't want to mail it because it weighs a lot. Fred slowly talked me through troubleshooting the unit. I finally found that a screw (one of two) that secures the main power leads inside on the small PC board was slightly loose but just enough that it would lightly arc and loose contact and only leave one half the power supply functioning. A quick cleaning and resecuring of the leads/screw put it back in action. I'd give it a 5 if that had not happened and feel it must have been a fluke; never the less, it was or did come loose and cause me to have a power failure during a qso. Kudos to Astron service and I do feel it is a robust supply and would buy one again in a flash.

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2009 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was in charge of purchasing for an electronics group and bought 5 or 6 of the RS 50's for the lab. The boys in the lab gave me hell for not getting HP or some other TOP brand. 13 years later all of the RS 50's were still going strong and never a trouble, almost everyone of the HP and other big buck supplies had been repaired or replaced. The switching type 30 and 50 amp were repaired monthly, can't say enuff about the Astron's. Top's for the money.

W3DBB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2009 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Can't Beat It With A Crowbar  Time owned: more than 12 months
And that's exactly what inadvertently happened. I accidentally touched a ground-rod connected piece of 3/4" braid to the outside case of one of the power transistors on my RS-50M, creating a miniature arc-welder in the process and blowing out one of the stud rectifiers. The affected transistor was electrically unharmed but since I partially melted it's TO-5 case I replaced it for cosmetic and reliability reasons. A new stud rectifier and it was back to life and has performed flawlessly for years now. I also purchased a RS-35M I've been kinder to but that one has the dreaded lamination noise emanating from the power transformer. The RS-50M's power transformer is dead quiet and I would buy another one if needed based on my experience. Because of the noise I have with my RS-35M I would not buy another of that particular model.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2009 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Great continuous service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced a RS35S with one of these about a year and a half ago. The RS35S had failed after about 8 years of continuous repeater duty, perhaps due to a power surge. This unit just soldiers on! A great power supply like the rest of the Astrons I have used.

N0JL Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2009 12:07 Send this review to a friend
No problems.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I see reviews discounting this supply when they opened it and did some soldering and tightening of bolts. I do that as a matter of course with new equipment. The only thing is recent years that did not need something is my HF transceiver. Once in service, I have had no problems for years and years.

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2009 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a RS-50M connected to my UHF/VHF rigs (IC821H, ID800, IC207 and peripherals and never had a problem in the 10 years I have owned it. I have a West Mountain PWRGate attached to a gelcell battery for backup in case of power outage.

I have a RS-70M that I use to power my HF station (IC756Pro) and peripherals. I have had it for ten years aolso without any problems. I had a TS690S before the ICOM.

These two power supplies are rock solid and operate continually as I seldom turn them off. I am very satisfied.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2009 16:39 Send this review to a friend
More then I will ever need  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a new RS-50m I have my 706 MKIIG and my Autotuner and my FT-8800R and my FT-7800R all hooked to it . And I never use 1/2 its power .
Best of all its made in the good old USA .
Astron is the best of the best .

73s KJ4EOZ