Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SONY ICF-2010 Help

Reviews Summary for SONY ICF-2010
SONY  ICF-2010 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: SW/AM/FM/AIR Portable Communications Receiver
More info: http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/radiowalkmanrtm/w

You can write your own review of the SONY ICF-2010.

KC0EKQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2017 14:35 Send this review to a friend
A classic, but not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always enjoyed the 2010, and it (mostly) deserves (most of) the hype that has grown around it in religious reverence.

I've used mine for a long time, a late model that uses a lot of SMD tech including a front end protection diode for the once-vulnerable Q303 FET. Years ago I fixed the battery issues and installed the Kiwa 'blue dot' filter, and I've had to replace a few caps over the years... but it is a fine, fine receiver, superior in synchronous detection and very sensitive on SW on its built in whip alone.

The tuning and memory system are as simple and direct and intuitive as can be.

Audio is certainly on par with Sony products and is rich and full, though a bit muddy at times.

I don't think it is a 'great'/5 radio though, for a few reasons.

SSB resolution is somewhat limited and can be irritating, even frustrating at times. It reminds me of the Kenwood R2000 resolution, not quuuuite fine enough for some signals. There are modifications for this of course, but stock, it's a negative for me.

As well, bandwidth filtering, stock, leaves a bit to be desired in the amateur bands at least, where even the narrow filtering can let in some spillover here and there. Of course the Kiwa filter options make those issues go away for the most part, and make the receiver sound much more alive and clear, but that's modified, not stock. It's no 'barn door' problem but it could be much better than it is.

That battery contact design is just bad, plain and simple. It can be fixed but it wouldn't be necessary had they used a more traditional and frankly BETTER design.

But for all of that, the positives of the 2010 far outnumber the negatives and it is still a classic, a pleasure to use for a lot of signal hunting, and even a decent MW DXer with a little finessing and modifying.

It's legendary for a reason, but not quite the deity some claim.

REVMIKE Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2015 15:45 Send this review to a friend
A great radio even after all these years  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one when they first came out and sold it years later...BIG MISTAKE. I finally decided to buy another one and found one on eBay at a reasonable price a few.I had for a couple of weeks and sent it off to Craig at KIWA Electronics.I just received my radio back yesterday, what a difference the modifications make, sensitivity and clarity has been enhanced. I enjoy listening to all forms of radio broadcasts. Last night I was listening to some Hams and they sounded as if they were on a local AM station. Love this radio, this one is not going anywhere. If I run across of a "New" one, I'm buying it and sending it to KIWA, as well in order to have a spare.

REMOVED_BH4AEN_2015-01-12 Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2015 23:13 Send this review to a friend
2001D  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio, the European version 2001D and used it intensively since 1992, and I like this particular model of SONY radio so much that I have purchased a second one on eBay from Austria last month. I have mostly used my SONY ICF-2001D for news broadcasts and feature programs, entertainment of exotic music, and moderate applications in digital decoding for news scripts in RTTY from Xinhua News Agency and KCNA ( DPRK ), HF Fax news from Kyodo and various weather maps using my AEA Fax III decoder, especially in years prior to the Internet and many years when the Internet experienced its " growing pains " in China.

For serious radio listening there is no parallel to SONY ICF-2001D because of its highly commendable combination of sensitivity, selectivity, better than average dynamic range plus the legendary synchronous detector that makes the awkward sounding ECSS ( Exalted Carrier Selectable Sideband ) a one touch operation. The synchronous detector on SONY ICF-2001D kicks in instantaneously thanks to its 1 bit cpu ( Rainer Lichte ) enabling the radio to lock onto a signal tightly either on USB or LSB, often away from an interfering transmission on an adjacent frequency and nearly always throughout the ever present transmission fading. As a result, the reception is greatly improved, with much less QRMs and audio distortion - to the audiphiles, this is where the difference is - SONY ICF-2001D sounds so good in recording or when fed through an external speaker that I have ended up taping on my Panasonic HD100 VHS video recorder, many hours of Happy Station and Media Network of Radio Netherlands. Only Sherwood Synchrous Dectior III combos perform equally well or better than SONY ICF-2001D in the Synchrous Detection Department.

SONY ICF-2001D tunes and displays in 100Hz making it undesirable for critical decoding of CW/RTTY decoding of difficult transmissions. Fortunately however, the tuning and display have turned out very well centered, only slightly subject to the drastic temperature change.

SONY ICF-2001D in continuous production for two decades and around for thirty years in 2015, hands down, has proved itself an all time best-seller and classic of the conventional radio.

If you are one of us, bet you are, get a SONY ICF-2001D/2010 when you can still find one.

RYAN84 Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2014 13:03 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this thing for years and it is without a doubt the best shortwave receiver I've ever owned. I will periodically buy something else and then run comparison tests against the tried and true 2010. Nothing ever compares. Paired with an outside antenna, it does the work of an HF communications receiver wearing the clothes of a portable. These are still able to be had on ebay second hand, and I would urge anyone to buy one of these used before considering any new Sangean, Grundig/Eton, or Tecsun radio. Don't assume because they're newer they're better. What Sony did with the 2010 in 1984 still has not been surpassed.

KD5MTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 06:32 Send this review to a friend
COMPARISON REPORT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I AM A 2010 OWNER FOR MANY YEARS. ALSO, I AM AN AVID SW RADIO USER/LISTENER. I PUSH MY RADIOS TO GET THE VERY BEST I CAN OUT OF THEM. YOU CAN READ LOTS OF REVIEWS ABOUT THIS RADIO SO YOU DONíT NEED ME TO TELL YOU HOW GOOD IT IS. THIS IS MORE OF A COMPARISON REPORT.

FIRST, MY 2010 HAS THE KIWA FILTERS INSTALLED. I HAVE COMPARED MY 2010 TO A STOCK 2010, SITTING SIDE BY SIDE USING THE PULL-UP ANTENNAS. THE FILTERS ABSOLUTELY MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE CLEANNESS OF THE RECEPTION. THERE IS NO DOUBT.

SECOND, I HAVE USED FOUR RADIOS WITH THE SAME EXTERNAL ANTENNA. THE SONY ICF-2010, THE PANASONIC RF-2200, THE KENWOOD R-2000 AND THE CCRADIO-SW. OF THE FOUR, THE 2010 CLEARLY HAS BETTER SHORTWAVE RECEPTION SENSITIVITY, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE SYNCHRONOUS TUNING IS USED. IT STANDS ALONE. OF THE OTHER THREE, I FIND THEM TO ALL BE VERY CLOSE IN SW RECEPTION. IT IS TOO CLOSE TO CALL. OF THOSE THREE, THE CCRADIO-SW WAS BIGGEST SURPRISE. IT FAR EXCEEDS MY EXPECTATIONS. (SEE MY EHAM REVIEW IF YOUR ARE INTERESTED.) MY TESTING CONTINUES.

KP4FAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 20:20 Send this review to a friend
This is a really excellent receiver well ahead of its time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got two 2010s. One is a 94 and the other an 85. The 94 came with a signal meter problem that has been taken care of and now works nicely. The 85 came with an intermittent CPU problem solved by soldering a direct negative connection to the CPU batteries. After using both radios for a while I ask myself why I did not buy one new when they were available. This is one fine SW portable with lots of sensitivity and well chosen selectivity options. The AM Sync detector is great and USB/LSB modes work beautifully. It is also a very steady receiver with easy to use functions. If you ask me any difference between the 94 an 85 I would say none at all. I think that I'll keep both one in the shack and the other in the nigth table.

W7TNS Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 12:31 Send this review to a friend
What a deal!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HAve a Sony 2010 rcvr for about 15 yrs now, but dead as a carp for last 6...was looking at repair but could be 300 big ones...too much. Was out looking at pawn shop today...found a mint 2010 with everything, box, etc. except power cord. They wanted a whole $99 for it, which I was going to do. Since no pwr cord, they said a discount is in order...works for me! They dropped it to $55 with full 30 day warranty!! Smoking deal for mint radio...now, where did those guys put the Icom 7800's?????

AC8KU Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2012 12:26 Send this review to a friend
My all time favorite  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 2010 new around 1985. In fact I ordered two by mistake and sent one back. Now I wish I'd kept both. I've worn the plastic around the volume and power switches down from frequent use. I think the memories are the easiest to use of any radio I've owned. The sync detection and other features still work well after 27 years. The computer section has begun to be flakey at times, but I think this is due to a bad contact that can be easily fixed. In fact, I just went out and stocked up on replacements for Q303, which are still just $1.50.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 09:40 Send this review to a friend
A Mistake  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in 1986. I sold it in 2005. That was a big mistake. Nothing like it in this universe.

K6RAV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2011 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Beloved Warhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Sony ICF-2010 in 1989 or 1990, when I was doing a lot of shortwave listening and wanted a portable. It is a total workhorse: hook it up to a good antenna, and you can hear some amazing stuff. I caught a lot of great DX on it.

Over the years I have owned a lot of radios, but it's the best of the best, the one I would never consider selling. With all the years and the miles, it's still my favorite for listening. As for all those buttons, well, mostly I've ignored them; some crazy memory scheme that never made sense to me. The wonder of this radio is the sensitivity of the reception, and the reliability of it.

Love it!