Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | TopTen Devices Band Decoder & Switchbox Help

Reviews Summary for TopTen Devices Band Decoder & Switchbox
TopTen Devices Band Decoder & Switchbox Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $180.00
Description: Automatic selection of antennas, amplifiers, bandpass filters.
More info: http://www.qth.com/topten/

You can write your own review of the TopTen Devices Band Decoder & Switchbox.

ZL4IV Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a handy unit but why only easy decoding of 6 bands plus 2 which the 'Source' mod does not accommodate? Yaesu radio's decode 9 bands to BCD. My favorite bands are 20, 17 & 12. Having to get into the unit and mod it so 15 becomes 17 & 10 becomes 12 as a 'Source' output on Auto for my 'RAT PAK' may be beyond some Hams knowledge. Use the same system but with full 'Source' output and display and it would be a 5.

K5KA Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2008 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent products and service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just replaced one of my older band decoders with one for my new rig. I will restate what I said 5 years ago:

Thanks to Dave and crew for doing things the right way.

73, Ken K5KA

W3BG Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2007 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Well Built Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Top-Ten Band Decoder and Switch Box is just a plain fantastic product. I have been using mine at the base of my Pennsylvania located tower for four years now with no problems what-so-ever. It's like the old Timex commercial - "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking." No bells and whistles here, just a well built SOLID PERFORMER. You can't go wrong.

K5KA Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2003 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product and Superior Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using a pair of decoders to switch ICE419 bandpass filters for about 3 years. I decided to add the "source driver" capability to the decoders to also switch antennas using a WX0B SixPak. Dave answered my query immediately ... (I mean in 15 minutes!) and I received the field installable upgrades in a couple of days. The install went flawless and they both work like a charm. TopTen construction is commercial grade and their customer service sets an example for other suppliers to emulate.

Ken K5KA

W1TE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2002 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these driven from the Yaesu "Band Data" port and from the computer LPT port to drive a homebrew diode switching matrix allowing the automatic selection or single band amplifiers and multiple antennas. Just install and it keeps on ticking for years. An added benefit when deriving the input signals from a computers LPT port is the "built-in" keing interface to allow the CW Keying from the computer port to drive the keing input of the transciever. If you desire to overide the computer or radio input control for some reason you can manually select the band from a front panel rotary switch.

PA3DUV Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2002 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Top Ten Band Decoder to switch the filter bank of my SG 500 HF Solid State Mobile Amplifier. The Decoder converts the band voltage from the Icom 706MKII into a pull up signal for each band. It has worked great from day 1 and it makes mobile operation safer because no manual band switching is needed. Just push that band button on the 706 and the Top Ten follows. Just great! Of course the SG500 has an automatic band filter switch but the neccesary rf sensing causes an annoying delay. So the Top Ten Decoder fills that bill. Dave has been very helpful in finding out the particulars of my application. Very much recommended!
Check it out at http://www.qsl.net/pa3duv
Best regards, Dick PA3DUV

W1WEF Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2002 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Use it to switch antennae...  Time owned: more than 12 months
In conjunction with homebrew ant switch boxes, I finally bought one from Dave, N3RD a few years ago. Before that it was on the back burner to build my own for years...hi Nice little box, no problems.

K2UT Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2002 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
A handy little gizmo that no shack should be without. My rig (TS-850) doesn't provide direct band-decode outputs, so I get it from my computer while running either DX4WIN or WriteLog. Changing bands on the radio will quickly have the right antenna selected; no more transmitting into the wrong antenna at 3 AM Sunday morning during a long DX contest! I use the output to drive relays which then drive a WX0B antenna switch, but I've also used the TTD switch with excellent results. The outputs normally drive the selected control line to ground, but an option will drive +12v if needed. When not using it with a computer (or when I want to override the antenna selection for some reason), there is a manual band-select control on the front panel. Absolutely no problems in the 3 or 4 years I've owned this gizmo!

W2JJC Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2001 12:57 Send this review to a friend
It fills the bill  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have purchased two of these units along with the six way relay boxes for a future so2r station expansion.Dave N3RD has been most helpful and curtious.These units work well and so far have not had any problems.I'm also using them to control two Dunestar 600's band pass filters.I will be adding the six way relay boxes with tuned stubs.I would suggest this set up to any one wanting to get involed in high power so2r.

W4AN Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 1999 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Most excellent  Time owned: unknown months
Dave, N3RD, has been great and the product is excellent. I've had some lightning take out my decoders, but Dave fixed them ASAP. That's all a guy can ask for in these days and times. TopTen Devices boxes allow me to have any antenna on either radio. This greatly improves my flexibility for contesting.