Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hygain 204BA Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain 204BA
Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $300
Description: 4 element monoband, close spaced 20 meter Yagi.

You can write your own review of the Hygain 204BA.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2016 09:13 Send this review to a friend
First impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok well here it is. First impression on this antenna is built well. It's the older model with the difference I noticed between older & newer is the feed connection. The older model is screwed into the driven elements & the newer used clamps. Anyways I purchased a balun from the best company you can get a balun from ( balun designs ). It's just a 50ohm 3kw current isolation balun specifically for yagis. I will write a update review I'm a few months or so. It's replaced a mosely Tri band yagi which worked ok, had no issues what's so ever except being limited to hear as far as I would like to. Even still with the mosely i was able to work 80 countrys. I'm certain that this monobander will be able to pull in weaker & further stations than the tribander. The whole reason for the change is RX not TX so we see how it performs.

NN4X Rating: 2/5 Sep 22, 2015 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Ain't What it Used to Be :-(  Time owned: more than 12 months
[ NOTE: This review was originally posted here on eHam on Aug 15, 2008, but later was mysteriously "disappeared" from the reviews. I found an archive copy of it, and am reposting

The antenna continues to perform well as of September 2015. ]

----

It pains me to write this review.

I already own two 204BAS', and needed a third to complete a 2-high stack. The 204BAS is a classic short-boom 20M antenna, and its performance is hard to beat.

With more than a little trepidation, I laid down about $500 on a new MFJ LJ-204BA.

When the time came to assemble it, my fears were quickly realized. The swaging, rather than being smooth and even, like the Hy-Gain (and, frankly every other commercially made antenna which used swaged elements), was rough and uneven, as if done by Chinese political prisoners in slave labor camps (nothing against Chinese political prisioners in slave labor camps - at least THEY have an excuse).

Frequently the slits cut in the ends of the elements were not sufficient to allow the clamp to firmly attach the next section of tubing. I ended up using pop rivets to ensure a good connection.

The conductive grease supplied was coarse, as if it had sand in it. At least there was enough.

The badly swaged elements caused another problem - the next section of tubing frequently did not extend straight out, so some of my elements are angled, making the antenna look worse than home-made. I've assembled hundreds of antennas in my Ham career - literally! I've NEVER seen this problem before.

MFJ's penchant for cost-cutting continued: The end caps for the elements were not the normal, fairly robust black UV-stabilized end caps. No, they were pretty blue ones, with thin walled plastic. The end caps for the boom were even worse. Rather than being the typical black, they were ORANGE (think of the Florida Gators colors, and you have the caps colors). I did not install the antenna immediately after assembling it. Within two weeks, I noticed that the orange color had faded! TWO WEEKS! This doesn't bode well for the longevity of the caps. I had already covered most of the caps with Scotch 88 tape, so it was only a little bit that was exposed to the sun.

Lastly, MFJ changed the way you feed the antenna. The feed comes from BEHIND the driven element, and they use some poorly made clamps to make the connection to the driven element, rather than the screws in the bottom of the element.

Oh - as far as the settings - use the W6NL settings, not what MFJ (and Hy-Gain before them) suggest.

Hope this helps. It's still a good antenna, but, wow...what a shame to see what's happened to it.

VE9OX Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Super 20m Monobander!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This 4 element 20M monobander is still favored after 40 years by many thousands of amateurs worldwide.

I have had it up at 80 feet for 3 years and I purchased it from MFJ (Hy-Gain).

It has good mechanical and electrical engineering.
It has stood up to near hurricane force winds here in Atlantic Canada.
It has a 25Db typical F/B and with very good forward gain.

When I can hear them, I can work them with this fine 4 Element 20M monobander.

SWR is very low across most of the band without a tuner but, I use a tuner anyway especially when using my amplifier.

I use a DX Engineering 5K rated Yagi balun.

Good assembly manual and quality parts were shipped - no shortages.

No issues ever with 1.5kW CW and 2 Kw plus PEP SSB.

This is a 50lb antenna and is reasonably rugged and a great performer.
I my opinion,there is no better monobander antenna available for the price of a Hy-Gain(MFJ) 204BA.

A true performer....you will be very pleased with one of these antennas.

'73.
VE9OX

K5BAH Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2013 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat this antenna for the price!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for 2 years now, and can't say enough good things about it. It's at 70' on the tower and the only antenna other than a 2 meter vertical. The antenna is huge. I barely had enough room to put it together in my yard due to other obsticals. It was also heavy, large and cumbersome but well worth the effort to put it up. It took two people on the tower, one to wait for it on the top and me to help guide it as it was going up. The gain and rejection for the money, can't be beat.

W0OGH Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 204BA back in the mid 70's. Moved 3 times since then. It's now at 30 ft which is all the tower i have but i wouldn't have any other 20M beam, unless of curse it was a bigger one which i don't have room for anyway. This antenna has given me -0- problems since owned. I only run 100W here but if the condx are right and i can hear them, i can usually work them. Great antenna unconditionally!

AK2F Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
On 20 meters, I work a lot of DX. With amplifier on, I usually work most pile-ups on the first call with 59+ signal reports. Good pattern and relative gain. Other antennas used at same location: Cushcraft A4, SteppIR 3 element, TA-33 Jr. This antenna works significantly better than a tribander.

A few years back, I re-configured the 20M elements into a 5 ele 10M beam. Just had to add one element of tubing and it worked great without spending money. You can do the same for other bands using the 20M tubing! Elements slide, so you can adjust to any legnth.

I like the Hy-gain construction. Hopefully MFJ will keep this up. Bought this antenna used about 20 years ago. It's still in great shape!

NC0B Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2008 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good directivity  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine second hand in 1972, and it is still going strong in 2008. It has never needed any service in 36 years, so what more could I ask for. Front to back is consistently over 20 dB & front to side over 35 dB. Its gain is below some of the computer designed modern beams by a dB or so, but how often does that matter. It isn't very heavy, and it doesn't take some monster rotor to turn it or keep it from windmilling. It does need a brake, like in a Ham-M or T2X. It is mounted at 50 feet, and has a 402BA above it at 65 feet which has been up for 35 years. I have stayed with Hy-Gain mono-banders at my second QTH since I can get them in the air by myself. I gave it a 4 since there are more exotic beams, but I wonder if they will still be working after 3.5 decades.

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2007 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Best performance per pound (kilogram)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one of these for a few years and the performance was great. Decent gain and great F/B. I replaced it with a 205BA and was disappointed by the inferior F/B until an ice storm put it out of it's misery! I subsequently replaced it with a 205CA optimized with YO and it was also a great antenna.

WA4ISZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2006 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great 20 Meter 4-Element Yagi  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this antenna mounted on a 70 foot tower for 23 years, and during those years it was in three different locations.

I found this antenna to be extremely effective. Not only did it have a great forward gain, it also had a very high front-to-back ratio. There were times when I could barely hear a station off the back of the beam, but when I turned the antenna around, the station was S9+.

I replaced the antenna with a Mosley Pro-67A, which is a fine six-band yagi, but in terms of over-all effectiveness, the 204BA ran circles around it.

WA4B Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2006 22:40 Send this review to a friend
Biggest Bang per $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna will give you the biggest bang for the dollar that you can get on 20 meters. Take care to properly assemble and install this 4 element monobander and it will do a great job for you.

This antenna has been around for many years and I have never heard of anything in this price range that will come close to the performance of this antenna.