Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SONY ICF-SW77 Help

Reviews Summary for SONY ICF-SW77
SONY  ICF-SW77 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $699.99
Description: Receives SW/MW/LW/FM/CW and SSB world/domestic broadcasts
More info: http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/portable/worldbandspec

You can write your own review of the SONY ICF-SW77.

MIKEL Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Best SSB portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
For my money, the SW77 sits squarely among the top 3 portable GC receivers (the other 2 being the Sony 2010 and Eton E1.) In AM mode, the SW77 finishes 3rd. The E1 finishes first followed by the 2010. However, the SW77 clearly leads the trio in SSB mode. As a result, the SW77 is my top pick for amateur and utility DXing.

GFEDCBA Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2009 11:47 Send this review to a friend
one of the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For me this is the best portable receiver. Very good sensivity, the sync-mode and the cool design are strong arguments for this rx. Of course it is not easy to work with it as some features are hidden in the menu. But also with an IQ of less than 140 you are in the condition to use it. If you really want.

EHAMRH Rating: 1/5 Oct 11, 2008 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable and hard to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first one was faulty and exchanged after some persuasion. The second? ... When it worked, it worked quite well. But on SSB the frequency would start to drift after a few weeks and re-alignment would be needed every six months or so. And if not used for several weeks, it would motorboat badly enough to make it unusable - on all bands. It would slowly recover itself, but the recovery period got longer and longer until I threw it in the skip. If it had been a user-friendly radio, I might have persisted with getting it fixed, but the software was unbelievably arcane: it utterly defied logic. Either you had to dig into the radio's features every day to maintain familiarity, or you had to have a prodigious memory. When there are radios available which deliver quality of performance with ease of use, it makes no sense to have something where the performance had to be paid for with hair-tearing frustration. Perhaps even that "1-rating" is generous - I hated it. Very unreliable and very hard to use.

FISHAMERICABOY Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 00:13 Send this review to a friend
A Great Solid Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am very happy with this radio. I got it off ebay brand new in the box from a European seller (Serial No. 71720). I'm learning more about SWL over time. I live in California not too far (30 miles) from the Pacific Ocean. I listen maily to SSB Phone (Voice) And I use a Buckmaster 300Watt antenna with a 50ft 9913 flex Coaxial Feed. I also have a northwest antenna (nwantennas.com) that does very well with it, too. The whip is pretty good but adding this high end antenna has really made this unit shine if you ask me with no overload problems:

160m-40m (night): SSB is Is Loud and clear. I've heard HAMS from all over clear as a bell many times. Sometimes faint but mostly very very clearly. Even as far away as North Carolina and Florida. Im getting some Great DX MW During the day on MW even on 120m

40m-15m (day): When I finally caught on that these bands are best during the day I was able to get alot more SSB. On 20m I've heard as farwest as Hawaii and Japan and even as far as American Samoa and Tonga. I've gotten some great stuff on 17m clear as a bell. 17 m shines during the day . Our neighbors to the north (Canada) can be heard on segments of the 20m that US Hams are not allowed to Tx SSB on. I've even gone as high as 15M and have heard USB with success.

Keep in mind I'm using an OFC Dipole that I set up in a "T" configuration an i can only get it about 15' up.

I could go on but the is an excellent shortwave portable radio and I see why so many people are still trying to get it. I hear the Eton E1 out shines it from well-qualified sources. I will say that for its size, easy treatment of batteries, smooth ergonomics and ample features, you can't go wrong.

I've had such great SSB listening experiences that Im now studying for my license and looking at Elcrafter's K3 High Performance 160 - 6M Band Transceiver.

I also compared it side by side to a used SW77 that was pretty good, but it didnt have as satisfactory an Audio quality as this brand new one. I just use the built in speaker and I can hear everything clear and with a full-body sound.

If you want one and you can get it do it. You'll be so happy you did.

FishAmerica

MW1ROS Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2006 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
If your thinking of buying one, go for it, this radio is outstanding. absolutely brilliant, blows all the competition away no problem.

WB8UHZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2006 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent , great receiver, great audio on AM and SSB.. nice lay out .. outstanding radio.

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2002 15:27 Send this review to a friend
The best portable worldband receiver today  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the SW7600 and SW7600GR models before. I sold them and bought the SW77, a completely different radio. It belongs to a different category of product. Every travel, the radio comes with me. I donít use all of its features, but in general, I use to copy hams, DX and some broadcasts. Just listening. The sound quality is amazing, the sensitivity is also outstanding. The SSB receiving is much better than the previous radios I had. Itīs not ďfine tuneĒ. Itís probably the best portable worldband receiver today. Of course, itís expensive, but to someone who likes this type of gear, I think itís the portable radio to buy. I think it worth.

ECP Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2001 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
With performance very close to the legendary 2010, better sound quality and much better features, I don't see how you could rate this radio anything but great.FM stereo with headphones is nice. Finished, modern look is also a plus in my book. I have had a 2010 for 10 years but, God forgive me, I like my SW77 better.

ALANJGIDD Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2001 14:56 Send this review to a friend
New Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorry to say but I do not find this radio difficult or complex to operate ( read the instruction manual a few times). I agree that it is not the best radio to give a first timer but as I am not then no worries. I like the synch feature as it does work well on 95% of signals and stays locked all the time. I have heard stations that I couldn't on my previous radios & the audio is not as dreadful as some may lead you to believe. I have heard better but not that much better, besides, I like to listen in bed with my headphones on so no problems. The radio is well laid out & easy to manipulate. I do wish the light would stay on though! If you are worried about the last bit of the antenna breaking off, simple: don't fully extend it, a few inches won't matter to the signal. Ok, so you pay a lot & expect perfection but I have never brought any consumer item that was brilliant in every field. Have you? If you have a 2010 then keep it, a SW77 is not a giant leap but the SW77 is far better than any other portable. You pay more but I think it is worth it. Drop me a line if anyone wants to discuss the SW77 further.

N2CHI Rating: 3/5 May 10, 2001 14:39 Send this review to a friend
over priced  Time owned: more than 12 months
Functions are terrific for looking around the bands and finding what you'd like to listen to for the evening. Then, fire up another radio with better sound! Priced too high to have the following drawbacks: lousy audio, even fed to a larger speaker with follow-on amp, it's terrible, except on FM. Timer function doesn't always work and clock doesn't keep time very well. Often, when power pressed on, no signal comes on above 10 mhz until you change frequency setting. (That problem coupled with timer makes the function useless.) Sync is selectable, but favors one sideband. Cannot view lcd screen unless radio is leaned far back. Size of graphics rather small, especially the frequency numbers. Backlighting cannot be left on permanently. For 200 bucks I woudn't have minded, but for $450 street price,
buy something else.