Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | BetterRF Yaesu Tune Control Help

Reviews Summary for BetterRF Yaesu Tune Control
BetterRF Yaesu Tune Control Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $45
Description: Tunes your FT-100, 897, 857 with a screwdriver antenna. Makes the radio think the FC-30 is attached and emitts a low wattage carrier when the tune button is hit for easy tuning. Works Great!
More info: http://www.qth.com/betterrf/yaesu-tune.html

You can write your own review of the BetterRF Yaesu Tune Control.

NE2I Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2015 14:27 Send this review to a friend
does what it says  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive used it with both the Yaesu FT100 And ft 857 and it works great with both of them. I do believe that they are out of production now so get one if you can find it.

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Jun 17, 2013 13:53 Send this review to a friend
worthless for FT-450 series  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tho some ham catelogs still say it works with the FT-450 series with "minor adjustments" it does not. Called the guy who makes them and he admitted that this will not work. Can't take it back. Junk.

K5CQJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2010 14:02 Send this review to a friend
It adds the one thing Yaesu forgot to do!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Yaesu Tune controll from BetterRF on Friday July 30th,2010 and on Monday August 2nd,2010 it was in my box! I installed it per the instruction and start tuning my Hi-Q antenna with the Hi-Q DC controller within seconds. I also notice that since I didn't have to do the previous steps to get to a tune mode.(1.Reducing Power, 2.exiting the mode I was in,3. key the mic,4. other hand working the controller and 5. last exiting that mode back to previous mode)All I now have to do is press the tune button of the radio and work the DC Controller. It tune more precise now that it is in a full tuning mode and faster! Thank for such a needed product and fast shipping! You will always be recommended by me K5CQJ Al "Sarge" Mississippi

WB9QVR Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2009 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Just as Advertised...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For some time I've been contemplating various methods of setting up a mobile HF station. I finally settled on using a Yaesu FT-857D with a soon-to-be-released Chameleon V2 antenna. That antenna requires a tuner. I have an LDG AT-7000 that I have used with (not surprisingly) my Icom IC-7000 (which I still own but want to keep in the shack). I've found that tuner to be not only rapid but also able to tune most anything I could throw at it. I liked the idea of using the AT-7000 as a mobile tuner as it has no onboard tune button but rather relies on the tuning function built into the Icom rigs (it essentially emulates an AH-4 or similar tuner).

One of my goals for this installation was to use the tuning function built into the '857D. That left me with the option of using one of the Yaesu tuners or a Yaesu version of one of the LDG tuners. Although I like the LDG tuners they require that a tuning cycle be started by pressing a button on the tuner itself rather than from the rig.

After researching my options a bit I came across the BetterRF Yaesu Tune Control. It seemed to be exactly what I needed. According to what I read I could marry the Icom-oriented AT-7000 to the '857D and still retain the tune function from the front panel of the radio. It seemed almost too good to be true. I quickly ordered one.

The tune control required all of about five minutes to install and make operational. As soon as I had the rig configured I gave it a try. Sure enough, pressing the 'Tune' button on the '857D immediately started a tuning cycle. As soon as the lowest SWR was found the rig went back to the previous mode. I tried a number of tuning cycles on various bands and found that the AT-7000 performed just as well as it did when connected to my IC-7000.

If you have a Yaesu FT-857D, FT-897D or similar rig and you'd like to use one of the Icom (or LDG Icom-ish) tuners, this is your answer. It is a simple yet elegant solution that brings together the best of both worlds.

KW2K Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2009 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Great function... Marginal Workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good stuff!

The Yaesu 857D has more features than the 706 MIIG and the Yaesu sells for less money.

The Icom AH-4 Auto tuner Outperforms the Yaesu FC-30 auto tuner hands down!

So what is a ham to do? Get the 857D and the AH-4 Tuner!

This is a great combination! You will save money and have the best of both worlds.. (Yaesu and Icom)

To do this you will need the Yaesu tune control made by better rf.

You will need to know the following to get it to work!!!!!!

1. install your AH4 as you normally would

2. do not connect the tune control to the radio while the radio is on... turn it off while you make the connection and then turn it back on.

3. MENU item #20 in the radio MUST BE SET TO "TUNER"

4. MENU item #85 in the radio MUST BE SET TO "TUNER"

5. Menu item "K" will show the "tune" button

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2009 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Wow. It's Superb.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot believe why someone would spent big dollars on controlers. This little gem will to it for a lot less money. And so easy to operate while mobile. Makes things a lot safer.
Buy one, you'll love it.

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2009 20:37 Send this review to a friend
update on my last review  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Tune Control is still working great with the 857D. It works very well with the FT-897D also. I have added a very easy mod to add an amplifier keying wire and plug to the Tune control PCB so you can key an amp as well as have the tune control function using the CAT port with out Y cables etc. Anyone interested in the mod can contact me at kg7uy@frontiernet.net as I don't mind sharing the info.

Dennis KG7UY

KG1F Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2009 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up to my earlier review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now that I've spent a few days with this interface, I have decided this is a great product. Really simplifies tuning. Just one button - done.

This is great.
Fred
Kg1F

KA3OUC Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2008 22:05 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This product works VERY well with my ICOM-AH-2 antenna tuner. Iam using it with my FT-897.

WB0M Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2008 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Great! Plug n' play  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my Yausu Control to use with my FT-950 & AH-4 and I'll give the unit a 5 on it's overall use. However, it does not work fully yet with my FT-950 - through no fault of BetterRF. First let me say it's really easy to use and it works like a dream. I can use a Yaesu radio and my Icom 7000 just by switching cables. And I've never seen better customer service. However, Yaesu has changed some things with the FT-950 so I cannot tune all bands. I've contacted BetterRF and have received e-mails and phone calls concernig this problem. They have been absolutely amazing in helping me. I really hope they get the unit to work with the 950. It would have saved my $200 on a new Yaesu coupler, not to mention new control lines and the headaches of installing in snow and cold. -- Jeff/wb0m