Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | JRL-2000F Help

Reviews Summary for JRL-2000F
JRL-2000F Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $3400
Description: Fully automatic HF amp - 160-12m 1KW PEP SSB output from 48 RF power MOSFETs
More info: http://www.jrc.co.jp/eng/product/amateurradio/index.html

You can write your own review of the JRL-2000F.

VA3AVT Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 08:32 Send this review to a friend
*******Excellent*******  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first solid state amp, and I can tell you it is a joy to operate the JRC 2000F. My Kenwood TS 990 loves it. Band switching, power on/off and auto Tune all work together. I had to get the schematics from Kenwood Canada for the control cable for all the controlling listed above. The control cable listed for the Kenwood TL 933 solid state amplifier is what you need to control this amp, If you are using it with a Kenwood radio. Or you can build your own. Email me if you need a copy or call Kenwood Canada here in Mississauga. Donít bother calling Kenwood USA. They won't help because they say they donít support the TL933 Kenwood amp witch is the same internals as the JRC2000F. All I can say to that is, My TS 990 Manual shows the connection for the TL933 solid state amp. And the control cable needed to use for the TL933/ 2000F or 3000F. So yes I expect support!!!
Why show it to me then not support it Kenwood?!.

This JRC 2000F is fast on tuning and will tune down almost anything I use for an antenna.

Power output ranges from 1000 to 1100 watts on all bands with 75 to 100 watts drive with ease. No noise from the power supply showing that it's struggling to produce power out.

Only complaint I have is the amp is a little too bulky. I only wish that JRC would have come out with a slimmer cabinet. Witch they did with the 3000F year's later.
If you are thinking of buy a 2000F. You will love it Buy IT!!!

My first solid state amplifier and will not be my last. Looking to sell all my tube amps and go all solid state.

OE1ZKC Rating: 1/5 Dec 8, 2003 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Too expensive repair by "Professional Radio" manufacturer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used unit in Japan and brought to Europe. After the test transmission for several days, PS unit started generating unusual noise. I tried to contact the Tech of JRC in Japan thru my friend in Japan to find the way to repair by myself. The Tech strongly recommended to send the unit back, which costs approx $250.
It was repaired in Japan. However, they charged another $250 for changing one resister and two FET and $450 for shipment. Very simple repair costs almost $1,000
Do not buy JRC, buy Yaesu or Icom. They have Technical Service in US and Europe. They do not need such expensive shipment. I know they do not charge so much for simple repair as JRC did.

K9IKE Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2000 02:02 Send this review to a friend
A JOY !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I remember admiring this amp some years ago. At the time it was on the cutting edge of technology. Kilowatt solid state amplifiers were not the norm and even now they"re somewhat rare.
The amp was purchased used and I have to admit I was very skeptical. But after a few hours of use and a little familiarity with the controls I became very comfortable with its operation.
It works on all bands,delivering 1100 watts with ease. The temperature controlled fan is whisper quiet and the keying circuitry is silent. The only indication that the amp is operating is the wattmeter!
The amp has metering for swr,power,alc,and voltage. And a digital readout for band coverage.
Although the amp does not "follow" the radio from band to band. Tuning is accomplished by pressing the tune button. The amp automatically changes bands and activates the tuner for a 1.5:1 match.
On the air reports have been fantastic! This amp seems to be perfectly mated with my Icom 781.
My only concerns are the availability of parts as this was not a very popular amp probably due to its hefty price tag. And its physical size. In spite of the fact that it"s solid state, it is rather large. But it does perform with out a hitch
and if you have the room on your desk (or in my case under the desk)I"m sure you"ll find it to be a real joy to operate.