Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | EZ Hang (tm) Help

Reviews Summary for EZ Hang (tm)
EZ Hang (tm) Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$89.95
Description: Sling Shot wire antenna installer
More info: http://www.ezhang.com/

You can write your own review of the EZ Hang (tm).

AA2LD Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2011 01:57 Send this review to a friend
You will need to practice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing works quite as well as this product out of the box. I have launched/hung several Windham antennas at 35-40 feet. What I have learned:
1. the reel is flimsy but does the job with a little patience.
2. there is a steep learning curve. Plan on buying/ordering more yellow weights than you think you need. You will wind up losing some.
I come back to this launcher again and again. It will last you years if you treat it right and store it properly.

KC2WTG Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2011 15:35 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
try it did not work very well lost $89.00 on it

AB1HL Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2010 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Reasonably good but dangerous.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the version with just lead weights (not the tennis balls).

On the plus side, I've successfully hung multiple antennas in trees with the EZ-Hang. The small, heavy projectile makes its way through leaves and twigs pretty well and I've had no problem getting it back to earth.

On the minus side, the lead projectiles are pretty dangerous. I have had some nasty close calls, both with my head and with nearby windows. This has caused me to stop using the EZ Hang. It's also too bad that the reel jams most of the time.

M6FBS Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2010 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Idea, Crazy Price, Build your own!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a five star product but the price is extortionate - hence three star rating and the fact that I built my own! (I have put 'time owned' as 0-3 months as I have never actually owned one, only borrowed one then homebrewed my own!)

I used one of these belonging to a friend and decided that it was a 'must have' piece of kit - not, however at $100 (plus postage to the UK)! Some company somewhere is laughing all the way to the bank! I decided to build my own:

Catapult with arm support 10 (ebay)
Fishing reel with line 10 (ebay)
Fishing weights 80p (local shop)
2 screws and 2 hose clips -say 20p (in toolbox)
Bit of old dowell - negligible (peice in woodshed).

TOTAL 21 (about $35).
The build took all of 45 minutes!

The end result is every bit as good as the pro EZ hang for about a third of the price. The catapult I used is a bit stronger than the one on the EZ hang. It clears my 120ft Lime tree with ease using a 3oz weight. Thanks EZ Hang for the idea - but don't buy one, build one!

W8VZM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2010 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Why didn't I get one sooner?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally have wires in the air at my new QTH. I am amazed at how easy it was. Lest you think I am a newbie I have been a ham 32 years. This is the first time I was able to put my G5RV in the tree at the height I wanted on the absolute first attempt. I purchased a used EZ Hang at Frostfest in Richmond, VA this year. Knowing that I had good trees at the new QTH and knowing the trouble that I have had in the past, I thought I would take a chance. I have spent hours trying to throw, flip, or any other method of getting the rope over the right limb of a tree. Today on the FIRST shot I got the rope in the right place on the right limb. Of course there were a couple of practice shots first but the first real thing worked flawlessly! I was absolutely amazed and within a short while I was on the air and wondering "Why Didn't I Get One of These Sooner?!" The workmanship is great. The reel was in good shape and was the original. As with anything inspect before use. Follow the directions and you too can get your wire in the sky quickly!

NK1S Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2010 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Great tool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a few "practice shots" in which I lost a couple of the yellow, one-ounce weights, the fourth shot went exactly where I wanted it, as did the next shot to the second tree. My antenna is now at least twice as high as it had been. Unlike some other reviewers, I had no trouble at all with the reel. Very useful product.

KA8OCN Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2009 21:11 Send this review to a friend
I still like mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes the reel is junk and fell apart and finally I replaced it but I now have my antennas up higher then ever in my life! Also with a little practice It is quite accurate.

I purchased mine after I lost a favorite wrench in a tree (It still haings up there mocking me).

Yes its expensive, cost more than I could have made it for but there is nothing wrong with someone that came up with a good idea making some money on the deal.

If I ever loose mine (Its always on lone to someone) I will purchase another one (I will replace the reel as soon as I get it)

Delbert McCord KA8OCN

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2009 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using an EZ Hang for the past year. It is great. I typically launch lines 80-100' in just a few minutes.

The value of this produce is not in the cost of the components, but in the utility of the assembled device. If you can build one for a few dollars, with a better reel, go right ahead. If it works, you love it. It was worth the price to me to have everything assembled and handed to me.

BTW, the reel is absolutely sufficient for the purpose.

KI4PSR Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2009 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Still working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok folks, after yet another year of ownership and use, this is still a favorite antenna tool of mine. Two years on, and it is still working great and totally reliable. I have helped many Hams get on the air with dipoles at great heights (>40') with this tool. Yes it can get hung up, yes you will lose a sinker or two in the snags, just like fishing. But at the end of the day it is by far the easiest way I've found to raise antennas, and this device in my hands has raised at least 2 dozen great dipoles. Some were temporary for MARS or special event operations, the ones that were meant to be permanent are still up there. This -is- a good tool, and in my opinion well worth the money.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat if mine got damaged or lost!

Dave KI4PSR
lostfrogsrecords.com

K7GQ Rating: 1/5 Sep 17, 2008 01:48 Send this review to a friend
Save your money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
While the basic idea is good, this has to be the worst implementation I've ever seen. Echoing other reviewers, the reel is cheap is often becomes fouled (in addition to coming apart), the line is too light, as is the weight.

Should you launch a good shot, you stand a really good chance of the line simply hanging up in the tree as there's not enough weight to bring it back down. And wait until you try to retrieve that line ... Launching into trees with NO leaves would be best.

Bottom line - this is a piece of junk. Save your money and pursue the tennis ball launcher, or the mother of all launchers,