Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | EZ Hang (tm) Help

Reviews Summary for EZ Hang (tm)
EZ Hang (tm) Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$89.95
Description: Sling Shot wire antenna installer

You can write your own review of the EZ Hang (tm).

KB1QBZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 05:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Product/Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for three years. Took a little practice to get accurate with the slingshot, but once I got accurate I've been able to get lines up as high as 80 ft with the lead weights and as high as 60 ft with the tennis balls.

I recently had some snagging problems with my reel and called Dennis for help. Even though I've had mine for three years, he offered to replace it. Turns out it didn't need replacement (I had messed up while putting a new roll of line in the reel), but I appreciate that he was willing to replace it.

A lot less expensive than an air cannon, a lot more portable and reliable than an air cannon, and a LOT safer than a bow and arrow or crossbow (especially in non-rural situations).
N3PZT Rating: 1/5 Sep 11, 2011 07:43 Send this review to a friend
EZ Hangup Followup  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, the two mods I made worked: "I cut off the replacement band I got from EZ Hang from the yoke and shortened both ends to give me more tension on the draw. Also, the leather pouch on the band had a small magnet sewed in under a patch that made the pouch stiff. I carefully removed the patch and magnet to give the pouch a better grip on the weight." My second shot went exactly where I wanted. For future attempts I ordered more replacemnt bands from EBay without the patch and magnet and, also from EBay, ordered 750yds of Stren 10lb .012 dia neon (yellow) filament.
K2OWR Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2011 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Finally nice high dipoles!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I spent many years (roughly 50) trying to get dipoles and other wire antennas just where I wanted them, usually making a complete fool of myself by hanging half the sockets from my toolbox all over the woods. I'm not kidding....they're hanging everywhere at my old qth. I often wonder if the current owner ever noticed them and said wtf?
I bought an EZHang a year or so ago and set out to get my antennas over the highest branches I could find. After figuring out how to load the fishing line ( I never fished in my life and it wasn't that obvious) then a few missed tries, bingo, I got the lines right where I wanted them.
After realizing that you should NEVER try to pull a failed shot back thru the branches, which they clearly tell you not to, I never lost a weight. It is true they can be hard to see, but what other color than yellow do you want them to be?
Anyway, after a few times using this thing, I got to the point where most every single first shot is right on target. A friend of mine laughs at the entire concept, saying he could do just as well with a fishing pole. To this day I have a standing $100 bet him that even if I spot him 5 tries, he will lose to me every single time :-)
KB3OKT Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2011 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
If used according to directions, the EZ Hang will get the job done. Like any other involved tasks, using the EZ Hang requires some basic planning and practice. I have installed several dipoles and G5RVs (160m, 40m, 102', and 51'G5RVs) on my wooded backyard with minimal problems. You have to have a plan and be patient when executing it. It is somewhat pricey but I am happy with my investment.
KD8OPI Rating: 3/5 Sep 6, 2011 21:31 Send this review to a friend
It works, but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used this device to hang up a couple of antennas in the wooded part of my lot. I was surprised at how well it worked, and I thought it was reasonably accurate. For the price, they could give you more line and a few more weights. I bought higher test replacement color filament. Maybe its an expectation problem, but you have to be realistic in your goals. The lines snag in trees, both on the way up and down; and if you're hanging wires in a wooded area its gonna be tough to find the little yellow weight.

I read about people using bows and arrows, better not do that in the 'burbs and kill someone.
K2JX Rating: 1/5 Mar 30, 2011 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months

Go to Wal-Mart buy an inexpensive bow & arrow and a ball of Mason's line. Or use a fishing rod with a spinning reel. The cover on the included Zebco reel comes off easily, the line is too light, the weights hang up in three branchs snapping the line and dropping the sinker usually somewhere you can't see it. Accuracy is doubtful regardless of the angle of shot. Plus it's dangerous to use in a normal suburban neighborhood as it can easily reach your neighbors yard.

Sorry I spent the money on this product rather than continuing to use my trusty fishing rod & sinker which is much more accurate, better made and in my view easier to control and safer all around. I've used it to raise many an antenna in my 35 years as a Ham.

Bought this thing after seeing it used Field Day when we just shot the line over some tall Maple tree's and did not care where the lines ended up. The idea was just get the dipoles up and working for 24 hours. Plus we had acres of room, no houses or cars nearby to possibly hit with the sinker.

AA2LD Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2011 01:57 Send this review to a friend
You will need to practice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing works quite as well as this product out of the box. I have launched/hung several Windham antennas at 35-40 feet. What I have learned:
1. the reel is flimsy but does the job with a little patience.
2. there is a steep learning curve. Plan on buying/ordering more yellow weights than you think you need. You will wind up losing some.
I come back to this launcher again and again. It will last you years if you treat it right and store it properly.
KC2WTG Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2011 15:35 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
try it did not work very well lost $89.00 on it
AB1HL Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2010 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Reasonably good but dangerous.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the version with just lead weights (not the tennis balls).

On the plus side, I've successfully hung multiple antennas in trees with the EZ-Hang. The small, heavy projectile makes its way through leaves and twigs pretty well and I've had no problem getting it back to earth.

On the minus side, the lead projectiles are pretty dangerous. I have had some nasty close calls, both with my head and with nearby windows. This has caused me to stop using the EZ Hang. It's also too bad that the reel jams most of the time.
M6FBS Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2010 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Idea, Crazy Price, Build your own!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a five star product but the price is extortionate - hence three star rating and the fact that I built my own! (I have put 'time owned' as 0-3 months as I have never actually owned one, only borrowed one then homebrewed my own!)

I used one of these belonging to a friend and decided that it was a 'must have' piece of kit - not, however at $100 (plus postage to the UK)! Some company somewhere is laughing all the way to the bank! I decided to build my own:

Catapult with arm support 10 (ebay)
Fishing reel with line 10 (ebay)
Fishing weights 80p (local shop)
2 screws and 2 hose clips -say 20p (in toolbox)
Bit of old dowell - negligible (peice in woodshed).

TOTAL 21 (about $35).
The build took all of 45 minutes!

The end result is every bit as good as the pro EZ hang for about a third of the price. The catapult I used is a bit stronger than the one on the EZ hang. It clears my 120ft Lime tree with ease using a 3oz weight. Thanks EZ Hang for the idea - but don't buy one, build one!