Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | SGC SG-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-2000
SGC  SG-2000 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $1895.00
Description: SG-2000 BASIC SYNTH RADIO 150 WATTS - 1.8-30MHz,RTTY,ARQ,REMOTE
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-2000.

N3SKO Rating: 1/5 Jul 8, 2001 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had an SG-2000 with the ADSP head. The audio DSP makes operators sound like they are working in a barrel - worst DSP that I have ever heard. The radio WILL NOT handle PACTOR at full power for any length of time, even with the fan kit.

Had the rack-mount kit - it looked like something made for the occasion in someone's home shop.

The filter is wide as a barn door... The hand mike is junk. Mine failed after one year of use and found its way to the dump.

SGC's tuners (230,235) rock - stay away from this turkey, though!

N8ZUZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2001 21:01 Send this review to a friend
OK/overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I fly with this radio nearly everyday. It's in an airplane. We have had the radio for about 5 years now. The lithium battery goes dead every 6-8 months. It's a easy to repair rig which is good. The audio with the aviation head is distorted. We have it coupled to an SGC 230 tuner which doesn't do the best job. We just put in an Icom 706MkIIG with the Icom AH4 tuner and the audio is far superior and about half the price.

The SGC 2000 is very "clunky" for ham use with the standard head. It's a commercial radio and nothing more. That's what you get. Customer support I understand is pretty good. Our 230 tuner has been easy to repair but I have had to do so on several occasions.

Bottom line: clunky operation for ham use, distorted audio in airplane mobile, overpriced. Note: our radio is used nearly everyday to contact ATC and our own base in South America