Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Austin Metropolitan Help

Reviews Summary for Austin Metropolitan
Austin Metropolitan Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 2M, 1.25M and 70cm mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSuburbanSeries.htm#metro

You can write your own review of the Austin Metropolitan.

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this for a secondary and/or temporary use antenna. For the most part, it has been coupled to a mag mount on a metal table on my deck for the times when I want to operate outdoors. It has performed very well in that role, whether it is connected to a dual band mobile, monoband 223MHz, or Kenwood TH-F6A HT.

I've also used it on the mag mount attached to whatever rental car I was using on vacation along with the Kenwood HT and it performed great there as well. On a trip back from Florida last year, I had a simplex QSO on 2m with an aeronautical mobile (he was at about 25,000ft altitude) at a distance of approximately 150 miles. Not bad for an HT and a 1/4 wave antenna.

VSWR is typically under 1.7:1 across any of the 3 bands. It has handled up to 55w without issue and delivered satisfactory performance regardless of how it was mounted or what it was mounted to. Overall, a great low profile, solid performing antenna.

BTW, the only place I have found to purchase these antennas is HRO.

N1EZH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Small Package!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna for my vehicle to use with my Kenwood TM-742A. At only 18" High it is on a Magmount on the roof of my Ford Edge and has great performance. Due to its' relatively short length, I can pull into my garage without the hassle of lowering or removing it as with larger antennas. I can get into my local 144/220 & 440 MHz Repeaters and a few at about 30 to 40 miles away line of sight! I would recommend this antenna very highly as it performs as well as most any other antenna I have used!

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 13:23 Send this review to a friend
I've owned one for years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Kenwood TM-742A with 2M/220/440 in my car for many years. I also had a tri-band Austin Metropolitan mounted on the trunk lid for this rig. They were a wonderful combination. I no longer have the rig, but the Austin antenna still looks like new after 20 years of use. I now have it mounted on a Larsen mag-mount and use it as a universal purpose antenna. It is very sturdy and durable. Electrically, it is a quarter wave antenna on all three bands and it works exactly as a quarter wave antenna should. I am glad these are still available.

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sleeper antenna. I use it on my Ford Escape, and like the fact that it's short and doesn't whack tree branches. I live in southeast NYS, so there is no problem hitting any repeaters in the area. Did quite well on my cross country trip as well. Definitely recommend it.

N2XPM Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2009 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I Like the Metroplolitan and it performs well on both bands!

N7TRZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2009 21:49 Send this review to a friend
good dualband performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good all-around antenna for urban dual-band operation. Smaller than the typical 2/70, it doesn't attract attention to itself. It resists weathering well, and is fairly durable, but the center contact is easily damaged on the NMO as evidenced by the warning included. Do not screw this antenna down too much when fitting it to your mount! It needs a little space to allow the rubber collar to flex if the antenna takes a hit. Once the contact is bent, it tends to break if you try to unbend it. You have been warned.

WW1LP Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2006 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna performs incredible. Low profile, Inexpensive, durable.

KB1KIX Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2005 05:50 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
very durable.

Living in the hills of southern New England, I needed an antenna with no gain.

Worked like a charm.