Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | Times Microwave LMR-400 Help

Reviews Summary for Times Microwave LMR-400
Times Microwave LMR-400 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $0.70 per foot
Description: Low-loss flexible coax cable, which uses standard connectors.
More info: http://www.timesmicrowave.com/

You can write your own review of the Times Microwave LMR-400.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2016 15:53 Send this review to a friend
The "Standard"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been installing and servicing commercial, low power, UHF radio systems since 1985 or so. I install perhaps 750' to 1500' of LMR-400 a year, and have done so year in and year out since that time.

All the losses are published. No sense repeating that.

I'll just say that there have been few issues with LMR-400 in all the time I've used it. It does tend to wick water with a nasty vengeance, if you develop a problem at a connector, but I don't know of any coax that doesn't. I regularly use up to 120' from transmitter to antenna, at 450-470mHz range, and have few issues with loss. The few dB that are lost are not my greatest concern, as elevation of the antenna to work around fixed obstacles is far more important.

I consider the LMR-400 my "standard" by which all other RG-8 type cables are compared.

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 12:22 Send this review to a friend
My HF Coax of Choice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first antenna was an 80-meter dipole that required a 300' underground run. I've been thrilled with the performance provided by Davis RF's BuryFLEX. Because of this, I researched the specs for my other five dipoles that range and average of 100' above ground, and chose Times Microwave's LMR-400 which has specs similar to the BuryFLEX but without the added cost of underground protection. I've been getting great reports on these 15-, 20-, 30- and 40-meter dipoles. My only rig is an Elecraft KX3 usually running 5 or 10 watts CW. For me, the loss-loss characteristics of LMR-400 are worth it. Plus, I've had no RFI problems despite using no baluns on my dipoles. I purchase all my coax from Davis RF - great service!

M0BTZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2012 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Great alternative to RG213/214 for VHF/UHF use  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is excellent coax cable and is just as flexible as RG213.

A much better choice for short cable runs at VHF/UHF than RG213 or RG214.

I use it mainly for patch cables and for short cable runs (Andrews Heliax is used for the longer cable runs.)

N7TML Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2012 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Easy to work with, crimp fittings are great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use Andrews Heliax in conduit for my long run from the shack to the mast. From there I use LMR-400 DB as jumpers. I like playing with wire antennas and always have between 3 and 6 up. So there were a lot of connectors to put on the coax runs. The Times Microwave no-solder crimp fittings were great to work with and for the number I had to install the special tools were worth the $. Their technical help was very good even when I had some pretty dumb questions.

THEVIKRC Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 10:41 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this cable severl times before with absolutely no problems. My latest once the cable is received is to connect a Yaesu FT-897D with a Comet CX-333 triband antenna.

The cheapest place I've found for the LMR-400UF is Commline (Hamcity) for $1.15/ft. I bought 150 ft and with shipping only cost me $200.

W8STU Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2011 14:52 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Greetings,

I recently purchased a 175 feet of this great coax to run to a Radiowavz DX-80 OCF Windom. It works great. I know say this maybe overkill, but I was worried about the long run. It works great. I would highly recommend Times Microwave LMR-400 coax. Be careful and do not buy the imitation LMR-400 coax advertised on EBAY. Put Times Microwave LMR-400 in the search engine and you will find a dealer by the name of Sagemaiden. They are great to work with. Great service and fast shipping. I would highly recommend Times Microwave coax and Sagemaiden to new Hams and Elmer's alike. 73, Stu de W8STU

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2011 14:51 Send this review to a friend
I LIKE IT ALOT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I GOT LMR 400 ON MY 2 METER RADIO. WITH 100 FOOT OF LMR 400 RUN. IT WORKS REAL GOOD. GET GOOD REPORTS ON IT. GOING TO PUT ON MY 20 METER BEAM NEXT.

K3DAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2010 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Next best thing to hard line.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use LMR-400 on 3 antennas. A Comet CHA250B HF vertical, a Solarcon I-MAX 2000, and a Comet GP-15 tribander VHF/UHF antenna.

I have tried every coax from Radio Shacks cheap stuff to the best that Belden and Jetstream offers. None of them can stand up to Times Microwave's LMR-400. There are cheaper imitators, but don't be fooled. They are not the exact same coax. TM's LMR-400 is the best, and worth every penny.

The center conductor is solid aluminum with a heavy copper plating. A very low dielectric foam surrounds the center conductor. Thick foil is molded directly to the foam so it can't come loose, which gives the coax a virtual 100% shield, Then a thick braiding of tinned copper surrounds it all as a shield conductor.

Only hard line is better, but not much better. It is a little stiff, and you must use extreme caution not to kink the coax anywhere along the length. You can not make sharp 90 degree bends, but you can make a subtle 90 degree curve with no problem. I even made an RF choke with it on my antennas. 6 or 7 turns about 9 inches across.

Of all the coax I have tried, LMR-400 gives the lowest SWR on all 3 of my antennas, and allows them to be more broadbanded. This means virtually all of the RF power emits from the antenna, and NOT from the coax. And your antenna can use extreme frequencies with a lower SWR.

I have used LMR-400 exclusively for several years now. I get absolutely no TVI, or RFI into any other electronics, on any part of the HF and VHF spectrum from any antenna. It is slightly thicker than typical RG-8U, so threading a standard PL-259 onto it is a bit tougher, but can be done.

For the money, you can't beat LMR-400. Use it and you will not be sorry.

KC2VOB Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Performs Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use 75’ of LMR 400UF for 2m/70cm terminated with PL-259’s - great job. Diamond SX-400 shows an SWR around 1:3 both on UHF and VHF. Recently I took down my antenna for a change and noticed that there were some cuts on the outer jacket of this cable that were made by cord used by kite flyers but that should not be embarrassing because their cord has a special finishing that cuts through just about anything made of rubber. It performs great. The center conductor is shown in my YouTube video “Ham Radios” under my call sign, if you wonder what is it like underneath.

AB0RE Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2009 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Not too shabby  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used LMR-240-UF, LMR-400-UF, and LMR-600LLPL in previous installations.

I've noticed with the LMR-240-UF and LMR-400-UF the outer jacket of the cable is too "rubbery" for my liking (soft & rubbery = not durable). Additionally, the jacket is not adhered well to the braid.

With the LMR-400-UF, when trying to screw on PL259 connector the connector grabs the jacket and either pulls it up towards the connector or twists it (instead of seating the PL259 properly on the cable like one would hope). For .405" outer diameter coax I still prefer my trusty old Davis RF BuryFlex cable as the jacket is MUCh more durable and it doesn't move around when installing connectors.

Times Microwave LMR-240-UF has the size characteristics of RG-8X with increased power handling capabilities. It makes a great cable for jumpers inside the shack. Times Microwave has a handy "de-rating" calculation in the technical information section of their website that will tell you the maximum power handling at any temperature, SWR, frequency, and altitude. One odd thing with the 240-UF is that it has a bit of a memory... if you make a moderately-sharp bend in it the cable will retain that shape, which is odd for an "ultra-flex" cable.

The LMR-600-LLPL cable was a plenum-rated cable used for a hospital ham-radio install in our area. Due to it's thick size it was a bit difficult to work with, but seemed like a quality cable overall. devinitely don't buy the $200 Times Microwave .610" Hex-Die crimper if you need to install connectors on LMR-600. Quality ratcheting crimpers can be had on eBay for less than $40 shipped.

Whereas Times Microwave's cables are "good for the money" and don't get me real excited, I think it fair that I mention how happy I've been with their coax connectors. Time's Microwave is the only connector company I know of that include instructions on the back of the connector package and includes a piece of adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing to go over the rear of the connector to ensure it's weatherproof. They're definitely worth the extra few bucks each over the competitors connectors.

(I know my wholistic review included four items... the rating is for the LMR-400 cable itself)

Dan / ab0re